New Initiative - family recipes

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

New Initiative - family recipes

Post by distiller_dresden »

I've started a new thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73708

I'm posting so the review thread gets some love, it looks like last post there was the penultimate week of January this year -- I want to get more people in the reviews thread!

The idea is all these recipes and projects we read about and find favorites or interesting, most of us will never get to try these things, unfortunately... But through the power of words and the internet we CAN read objective (well, subjective, by nature, but nobody is trying to be dishonest or un-real, I think) reviews of the samples we've tried whenever we reach out and find each other, then exchange samples of our very hard work and passion. Through this thread I hope we can start to close the circle; we read about projects or intentions, and then the aging and flavoring process, all the way to a finished and bottled product. Then, at best, we read the results of tasting from the person who has created the spirit gift they've made. Certainly reviews from OTHER people trying our love in a bottle are more relevant in a way, and can give us a great idea of what, say, Cranky's apple brandy tastes like, or Otis' HBB.

I know that the exchanging has happened but here we can post results and our intuitions and feelings from those experiences. For instance when you read my 'pancake rum' (Sugarshack Rumullion - photo pending receipt of my custom labels) or my hazelnut honey butter (Hazelnut Honeybutt Rumbullion) you can find it from the beginning, know how it was made and aged, but now you can read about the finished thing to get a better idea if you'd like to try making something yourself. Or, just to allow us to toot the horn of some of our favorite members (subjective) that we each follow and have had a chance to toot a horn of their make!
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Re: New Initiative - family recipes

Post by distiller_dresden »

Just a bump for more eyes; some good reviews (I think!) posted so far, some great ones coming...

It's wonderful to read the ingredients and whole process from start to finish, then actually connect a critical 'pro style' tasting to these works; for instance you can follow along, and even make, my maple or coconut sugar or hazelnut honeybutter rums exactly as I made them, down to temps and yeast!. Then you can read reviews of these and it's better than what the distiller says of their own stuff, because it's our OWN STUFF! I just feel this completes the circle and is a very neat thing to have for any of the projects and spirits our members work on, to have the absolute total picture. It gives a lot more information for those looking at a recipe and wondering to make it...
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."