Canadian whiskey recipe `

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

frankriz99
Novice

Canadian whiskey recipe `

Post by frankriz99 »

I created this receipt by accident, when trying to add rye to the tried and
true markers mark clone recipe. What came out was a flavour very close to
Canadian club/wiser type of Canadian whiskey. i have made it twice now to
ensure it wasn't a fluke and it came out great each time.

Here is my receipt:
---------------------------------
52L water
1 tbsp gypsum
citric acid to get water to PH of 5.2

get water to 165-170 deg F and once there add:

10.88 Kg Flaked corn
2Kg soft red winter wheat
2Kg Flaked rye

mash for 30mins at 155 to 165 Deg F mixing frequently (don't let corn burn)

during last 10 mins of 30min mash start dropping temp to get to 152 deg F

once 30mins is up and temp is at 152 deg F add 2Kg 6 row malted barley,
mix, then add 1tbsp amylase (I always add amylase for insurance)

turn off heat, leave covered, and leave for 120-180mins, giving it a mix
every 30mins or so. (you will see the 6row and amylase change mash to
watery soupy consistency)

cool wort to 85-90 deg F, add dextrose to get to 1.08 SG (usually 5kg of
sugar needed)

mix up yeast bomb as such:

- 150ml of warm wort,
- 150 ml of warm water (80-85F)
- pinch of epsom salt
- 2 crushed b complex vitamins
- 3 tbsp DAP
- 113g traditional Bread yeast

let it sit for 5-10mins to get started

pitch in the yeast in the wort and airrate

It will start to ferment very quickly and you will see it take off fast.
Keep temp between (85-95 deg F - i use a space heater)
let it run for at least 10 days, or you get anywhere below 1.00FG

Rack it for 3 days in a cool place, and when it clears up, fire up your
still and run it.

once you done i proof it to 60% and put it in a 5L oak barrel (char level
3) for 2 months and viola!!!! canadian whiskey
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Canadian whiskey recipe `

Post by hpby98 »

Nice post. Gives me much to think about
Tinkerzone
Novice

Post by Tinkerzone »

Well presented recipe, well worth to try.
Is the soft red winter wheat straight out of the sack?

Thanks
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

This will probably come off snark but I have to ask.
Why would you intentionally want to clone a bottom shelf whiskey like Canadian Club?
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

cayars wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:59 pmWhy...clone a...Canadian Club?
“When in France, you do like the French do”.

It’s all about “the measurement”...and what your measurements are....right? Plus, everybody’s got to start somewhere!

In any case, always “be safe, responsible, and discrete”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I bet if I took the Jack Daniel's recipe, and did much better cuts and aging process, that it would be quite tastey and far from the crap it is. I would say the same of Jim Beam, but by the time I made my heads cut, there would be nothing left :shock: :D !
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

On a side note. Not that this doesn't taste like the parent clone, cause I wouldn't know. But I have studied the different techniques, and one thing that is unique to Canadian whiskey is their blending process. They make their grain mix, and then age it super long, until the angels have just about passed out dead. Aftet years of storage, it becomes this thick condensed whiskey, that they use to cut with Neutral Grain Spirit. It's this blend of super condensed whiskey and neutral that gives it that unique taste.

Just something to think about. You probably nailed their grain bill, just wanted you to know more about their proces.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Totally agree with SCD, it’s all about the cuts. The recipe sounds good. I have always liked the idea of using Tried & True recipes then tweaking it to change the flavor profile.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Yep...Canadians blend. And “signature” is all about the blend.

But, what’s your paradigm....Canadian Mist, Canadian Club, Seagrams, or even Crown Royal? All blends. Where’s your target?

I used to call “Jack Daniels” at my local pub. And then I toured the distillery. After walking through the filter room (no flash cameras allowed!!!), the heads were so strong I could only stay in there a few minutes...and I still got a headache. Another paradigm, Markers Mark (and my favorite, Makers 46) too have objectionable heads. An old favorite, Old Grandad, is less objectionable, but less complex too. Now, my favorite call brand is Woodford Reserve (double cask, if available). There are some Scotches that are OK, but they tend to be very colloquial...and expensive.

My point is, paradigms shift with experience. If you have an early benchmark to aim for, it will get you into the ballgame. And from there, your experience and creativity will assist you “down the rabbit hole” into your own personal artistry. Make it your own...better’n store bought, from ANY shelf.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:37 am On a side note. Not that this doesn't taste like the parent clone, cause I wouldn't know. But I have studied the different techniques, and one thing that is unique to Canadian whiskey is their blending process. They make their grain mix, and then age it super long, until the angels have just about passed out dead. Aftet years of storage, it becomes this thick condensed whiskey, that they use to cut with Neutral Grain Spirit. It's this blend of super condensed whiskey and neutral that gives it that unique taste.

Just something to think about. You probably nailed their grain bill, just wanted you to know more about their proces.
that's funny you say that, i make a 100% rye and it has a big flavour...it's the same flavour as the names mentioned, but "bigger" i've often thought if i mixed it about 20/80 with some vodka i'd get something similar to CR or CC.

i always thought it was the grain bill where they did the dilution, not in the final product, but it sure makes sense.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I knew I'd get a couple posts like that deservingly for my comment! LOL
I'm also quite aware the op mentioned he created this by accident as well, and was not setting out to make CC.

Shineon, I too find Canadian Whiskey process unique, especially with the 9.09% rule they have.

For kicks I looked up how CC is made according to their website.
100% corn, distilled through a continuous still
100% rye, distilled through a continuous still
Mix of Rye, Rye malt, and Barley malt, distilled through a continuous still
Mix of Rye, Rye malt, and Barley malt, distilled through a pot still

Each whisky is aged in either first-fill bourbon barrels (charred American oak) or Canadian whisky barrels.
The barrels will be up to 12 years old depending on the final product specific expression being made.

https://www.whisky.com/whisky-database/ ... -club.html
The corn distillate is the “base whisky”. It makes up the majority in Canadian Club whisky. Rye whisky and malt are used to bring character and flavor into the blend. CC is unique in Canadian circles as it does it's blend then ages it on oak. Other Canadian whiskey do the blending after aging.

Canadian Club Premium is aged 5 years. In the video the ambassador said it's put in the barrel at 72% ABV

After watching the video on that page I do want to try their Classic 12 year old. Maybe it will change my mind about CC in general which I normally associate with Seagrams as far as using it as a mixer but nothing I'd want to sip. :)

What I like most about Canadian Law as mentioned earlier is the 9.09% rule. Unlike Scotch, Irish or American Whiskey where flavors come from finishing barrels the Canadians can directly add it. So instead of finishing a Bourbon in a barrel that contained maple syrup, port, sherry, honey, etc to achieve that taste profile the Canadian distilleries are allow to directly add maple syrup, port wine, sherry, honey, brown sugar, molasses, etc directly to the spirits up to 9.09% of the mix.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I would like to nail a “Crown Royal” which I enjoy very much, sounds like a little corn more rye and a little barley might get me in the game
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Crown Royal claims to be a blend of 50 different whiskys. It's the Canadian equivalent to Johnny Walker (Scotch) with it's blend of 40 different whiskys. The mix of all those different blends is likely what give CR that really smooth taste it has.

I'd love to be able to make a nice drop like that as well!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

cayars wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:21 am
What I like most about Canadian Law as mentioned earlier is the 9.09% rule. Unlike Scotch, Irish or American Whiskey where flavors come from finishing barrels the Canadians can directly add it. So instead of finishing a Bourbon in a barrel that contained maple syrup, port, sherry, honey, etc to achieve that taste profile the Canadian distilleries are allow to directly add maple syrup, port wine, sherry, honey, brown sugar, molasses, etc directly to the spirits up to 9.09% of the mix.
i believe most of this information to be in error.

there are a lot of laws in Canadian booze, but i've never run across a rule about 9.09% of anything.

the only allowable additive here is distiller's carmel, for coloring. If you start adding shit here, you can't call it whiskey, it has to be called "liquor" and also if you add anything, you have to label front panel in english and french, and you have to list ingredients.
for example, if you put maple syrup in whiskey here, it would no longer be whiskey, it would have to be labelled as "maple flavoured spirit" or "maple flavoured liquor" (in french too) and have a list of ingredients.

here is a jumping off point for (whiskey) the laws that cover the topic https://inspection.gc.ca/food/requireme ... 96?chap=16
you can also find the labelling rules here if you poke around a bit. there is many more rules here than in most countries in fact...you can spend weeks looking at all the booze laws they subject poor unsuspecting citizens to, here.

there are no laws on new or old barrels here, but it's part of the marketing story for most places

cut and paste from the international treaty of all things booze:

Article 19
Whisky production

Canada shall ensure that whisky, including Canadian Whisky, Canadian Rye Whisky and Rye Whisky, exported from Canada to the Community is a spirit drink produced by the distillation of a mash of cereals:
saccharified by the diastase of the malt contained therein, with or without other natural enzymes,
fermented by the action of yeast,
distilled at an alcoholic strength not exceeding 94,8% by volume so that the distillate has the aroma and taste derived from the raw materials used,
matured for at least three years in wooden casks not exceeding 700 litres capacity,
bottled at not less than 40% by volume, and
to which no substance other than water and spirit caramel has been added.

now i drink for evil.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

It's kind of a weird thing that not a lot of people are familiar with.

http://www.lawgill.com/legal-and-practi ... ding-rule/
I grabbed a few paragraphs from that page but not the whole page below:

B.02.020 (S). (1) Canadian Whisky, Canadian Rye Whisky or Rye Whisky

(a) shall
(i) be a potable alcoholic distillate, or a mixture of potable alcoholic distillates, obtained from a mash of cereal grain or cereal grain products saccharified by the diastase of malt or by other enzymes and fermented by the action of yeast or a mixture of yeast and other micro-organisms,
(ii) be aged in small wood for not less than three years,
(iii) possess the aroma, taste and character generally attributed to Canadian whisky,
(iv) be manufactured in accordance with the requirements of the Excise Act and the regulations made thereunder,
(v) be mashed, distilled and aged in Canada, and
(vi) contain not less than 40 per cent alcohol by volume; and

(b) may contain caramel and flavouring.

Flavouring is further defined in the regulations as “… any spirit or wine, domestic or imported…”. Thus, subject to the Regulation and the compositional standard for Canadian whisky (for example, it must contain at least 40% alcohol by volume), any amount of such flavouring can be added, as no limit is set by the Food and Drug Regulations. This means, say, cognac from France can be added, or Niagara riesling wine, or port from Portugal, or U.S. bourbon, or any other spirit or wine, and the Canadian whisky to which it is added can still be sold and labelled as Canadian whisky. One limitation is that any spirit added as flavouring must be at least two years old. Grain neutral spirits, or vodka in effect, cannot therefore be used, whereas in the U.S., say, it can be for its blended whisky."

"For the origin aspect, if not more than 9.09% imported spirits – not wine here – is added, on a volume basis in our opinion, not the ethyl alcohol itself – the Certificate may state that the product is Canadian whisky, otherwise the respective percentages must be stated and the Certificate cannot describe the product as Canadian whisky, rye whisky, or Canadian rye whisky. In the result one may add up to one part imported spirits to 10 of Canadian whisky – 1/11th, which is 9.09% – and the Certificate may still term the product Canadian whisky."

"For example, say 24 oz. of whisky in a 26 oz bottle is six year old Canadian whisky at 50% abv (all mashed and distilled in Canada) and two oz. is three year old Spanish sherry at 20% abv. The total ethanol by volume in the bottle is 12.4 oz (12.0 oz. + .4 oz, respectively). .4 divided by 12.4 means 3.2% of the alcohol is from the wine added. As that is less than 9.09%, the product can be described as six years old including for the Certificate of Age and Origin and Age."
---------------------
So they can add in directly other aged spirits like Port, Sherry, Scotch, Bourbon as well as caramel.
Other things like honey, maple syrup don't need to be aged but labeled such as:
http://www.sortilegewhisky.com/
https://www.crownroyal.com/canadian-whi ... yal-honey/
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

cayars wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:41 pm Crown Royal claims to be a blend of 50 different whiskys. It's the Canadian equivalent to Johnny Walker (Scotch) with it's blend of 40 different whiskys. The mix of all those different blends is likely what give CR that really smooth taste it has.

I'd love to be able to make a nice drop like that as well!
I don’t think it will make it smooth, 50 bottles of crap is still crap. I think that’s more for consistency so the flavor is the same over time
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Yes "50 bottles of crap is still crap" but 50 bottles of good whisky makes a very good whisky that easy to drink. :)

Personal opinion of course.
I don't know many people who would call crown royal crap. Overpriced maybe, but someone's got to pay for advertising, fancy bottles and velvet bags your kids love to play with. :) It's normally considered one of the "smoothest" whiskey available and sales confirm that.

It certainly doesn't have any standout flavors like a Four Roses, Wild Turkey Bourbon or single malt, but that's not their market.

Those that want an easy drinking hard spirit with a bit of vanilla and caramel are right at home with CR.

The blends makes it "smooth" because any one particular spirit with any "spikes" in flavor are rounded out by all the other mixed spirits.

Blends usually don't make for exciting spirits to drink for "snobs" who want to identify different flavors like nuts, fruits, spices, how the flavor lingers or changes, etc but that's not their market. It's definitely a whisky that non whisky drinkers can drink neat, on the rocks or in ginger ale or cola.

It wouldn't be my first choice of a clone whisk(e)y but I'd be delighted to emulate it or get close!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

cayars wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 pm It's kind of a weird thing that not a lot of people are familiar with.

So they can add in directly other aged spirits like Port, Sherry, Scotch, Bourbon as well as caramel.
Other things like honey, maple syrup don't need to be aged but labeled such as:
http://www.sortilegewhisky.com/
https://www.crownroyal.com/canadian-whi ... yal-honey/
i think that lawyer's website is a bit dated. the current law has perhaps been clarified?

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) applies in respect of flavouring contained in whisky, but no person shall sell for consumption in Canada whisky containing any flavouring, other than wine, that has not been aged for a period of at least two years in small wood.

i'd check with the CIFA rep on exactly what they mean by other than wine...etc.

this is the current bible https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... ml#docCont

the devil is in the detail, for example Cabot trail canadian maple whiskey is made with whisky, but isn't whiskey, even though it says whiskey on the label...it also says on the front panel liqueur and classifies as a liqueur... which may even be outdated now as they just changed the definition of liqueurs a few months ago...there was a big to-do about high strength ready to drink hootch that some kids got sick (or may have even died) in eastern canada about a year ago...so there was new laws just a few months ago on purified alcohols flavoured beverage that you can't exceed a certain amount of alcohol % vs the volume of the RTD container (for example you can't package a 500ml 14% abv cooler, but you could do 14% 250mL...or some such calculation)...it's all a moving target.

now i drink for evil.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I did a quick check and the law as linked to in the article seems to still support this with the same wording so I have no clue if this has changed.

I really don't know much about this 9.09 rule other than what's been posted here. It's just something I tripped over and thought was unique and remembered it. I just checked my browser bookmarks and remember where I first heard of this. It was from a video produced on this subject by the whiskey muse. (worth a view)

I do think that other flavoring not aged might be a classification change such as maple syrup or honey, but are still allowed to say whiskey on the label. This is probably a lot like American law (TTB) on finished bourbons such as ANGEL’S ENVY EXPRESSIONS which say BOURBON on the label but are not classified as bourbons under US law yet will still say something like "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished in Sherry Casks" on the label.

jump to 20:45 minute mark.
https://whiskeyid.com/the-rules-of-american-whiskey/

I just thought it was interesting that it appears the Canadians cut through some BS to allow flavoring with other spirits and keep costs down. Why have to purchase a barrel to finish in to pull 6 or 7 liters of the previous spirit from it vs just adding it up front directly? So for us home distillers, instead of soaking oak chips/staves in sherry or port then moving the wood over to our whiskey, just try the same thing as 9.09 allows and add a tablespoon or so of the spirit directly.
Kimoscout
Novice

Post by Kimoscout »

Speaking on blended whiskeys. Anyone done separate runs of corn, rye, and barley? Have 3 recipes for each and wanna find the right mix ratio for the 3 separate whiskeys.
Stircrazy
Novice

Post by Stircrazy »

normaly canadian whisky is distilled in the seperat grains and aged seperate. then the different whiskys are blended for the final flavor. so they will do 100% rye mash bills, 100% barley , 100% corn age them in barrels for three years min, or longer. then the master blender will start blending them in ratios arording to there recipe and the actualy flavore in the barrels. there is wheet used in some but it isnt used as much.

this method actualy makes it so less rye is needed to give the flavor than if they just distilled a blended mashbill. and the 9.09% rule is real, some add amounts of other liquors and spirits to enhance flavors some have added 4% of a 50 year old scotch, others add a tiny burbon, others have added say a port. usaly it is specialy releases but they dont have to say I believe so its hard to tell.

most canadian whiskys will have 40 to 60% corn as a starting point then 20 to 30% barley and a bit of rye for the starting point and adjust for tast from there. and you realy have to distill and age them all seperatly to get the real flavor, when combined in a mash bill it all gets weird and nothing comes out like its suposed to.

Steve
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

image.png
CC isn't Crown Royal but there are guys who like it neat.
I know a couple of guys off the res that would pick CC over the old Crown.

Then again most people drank Crown with coke and ice.

Like Maker's Mark, I have never been able to decide if I like it or not but I finish each bottle trying to figure it out.
Attachments
36339-0w0h0_Crown_Royal_Canadian_Whisky.jpg