Joe's AG Bourbon Recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Joeman101
Novice

Joe's AG Bourbon Recipe

Post by Joeman101 »

I've been a lurker for some time researching and learning all I can about home distilling.
I think I've come up with my Flagship Bourbon mash bill. Let's explore this!

55% Cracked Corn (from feed store)
2.1% each Malted Rye, Malted Wht Wheat, 6 Row Malted Distillers Barley

Per 7 Gallon Batch
7.7lbs Cracked Corn
2.1lbs Malted Rye
2.1lbs Malted Wht Wheat
2.1lbs 6 Row Malted Distillers Barley
14 grams Red Star DADY
Disclosure: I do add dry Alpha and Gluco amylase during mashing.

In 5.5 gallons of water I cook the corn for a good 2 hours with an auger stirring while at a rolling boil.
When cooking time us finished,and I have good gelatinisation, I add 2.5 gallons of cool water to bring temp down to striking temp of 160°f.
I then add my malted grains and temp drops to about 150°f. I add my Amylase and hold there for a good 45 minutes with the auger stiring.i do an iodine test to confirm starch conversion.
I then strain my mash through a mesh bag and some buckets I've modified. I squeeze the grains with a mop bucket purchased at the local hardware store.
After the wash has settled in each fermenter overnight reaching about 80-90°f I pitch my yeast that I have prepared using some of the wash.
OG is an average 1.055
FG is an average 1.009
I'm looking to switch up the cracked corn to flaked maize to improve the gravities and conversion. I'm also thinking about switching the corn and rye amounts to make a high rye whiskey as well.
The flavor after aging with toasted staves is mellow with sweet and floral tones at 100 proof.
I usually end up making 4 batches totalling 28 gallons of wash with about a gallon of drinkable hearts.