Gunner's AG Wheated Bourbon

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gunner2292
Novice

Gunner's AG Wheated Bourbon

Post by gunner2292 »

Well, after multiple attempts I am here to finally report my first successful AG recipe. I really enjoy Wheated Bourbons so I read a few different grain bills from big distilleries and made this recipe.

Items Needed:
6 gallons of water
10 lbs of cracked corn (finely milled)
3 lbs Malted Red Wheat (milled)
2 lbs 6 Row Malted Barley (milled)
Cement Mixer (recommended)

Instructions:
1. First grind all of the grain to a nice fine consistency (I use a Victoria mill and dial it down all of the way and then back it off slightly.)
2. Next bring 4 gallons of water to 190 degrees F. and pour over 10 lbs of milled corn. Stir well and continue stirring every 15-20 minutes for approx. 90 minutes. (It helps to add a handful of malt to the corn to keep it liquid.)
3. After 90 minutes, add remaining 2 gallons of cold water to corn to bring temperature down close to the strike temperature.
4. Once the temperature reads approximately 152 degrees, add all malted grains (wheat and barley) and allow conversion to occur for approximately 90 minutes. (Ensure your temp after adding grain is somewhere around 148 since lower mashing temps ensure lower amounts of limit dextrins.)
5. After the mash is converted, pour through a colander and sparge/lauter grain using small amounts of water and a wooden spoon. After it has all been lautered you should have a full 5 gallon bucket with a SG around 1.065. With the lower mashing temps this will ferment down below 1.00.
6. Once the mash reaches appropriate temp, pitch yeast. I used Fleischmann's, so I put the yeast on at around 100-110 degrees F.