Banana Rum

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ravi
Novice

Banana Rum

Post by ravi »

Hello Guys,
Good Day!

Just a brief introduction, I am little experienced(5 runs completed only :) ) hobby distiller with my buddy 25liter boiler and 2" hybrid column(little longer then 1 meter with 500mm copper packing) with two diaopter glasses(120mm). My last run was banana brandy with white refined sugar. It turn out so so because of my few mistakes in cutting and blending but, still drinkable. I am enjoying it from last one month. Almost every time while drinking my banana brandy, I feel like it would be grt if it has a hint of molasses with banana dominating flavor and few herbs. So, I decided to give it a go and planing to making my first mash of banana light rum this weekend. I am seeking experienced people suggestions and help! Here it the ingredient list:

Banana: 4kg
Unrefined high molasses sugar- 3kg( very dark, normally people using it in Korean cuisine for flavor)
Yeast available: DADY(redstar), EC118, Few different style Mangrov's Beer yeast(M42,M44,M41).
lemon or orange: For Adjusting the PH.
DAP: yeast nutrient.
Planing for 25 liter wash.

Plan is to distill it twice with pot still mode, But in the second run I want to put some particular herbs( cinnamon, Green Cardamom & green anis seeds) in my column to achieve this particular mixed herb hints. Then ageing on medium medium toasted oak.

Basically I need suggestion on:
# which type of yeast would be better out of above.
# how about using lemon for adjusting the PH or using citrus'y orange for little bit flavour and acidity both?
#I am very scared of chemical! In farm we using DAP for plant nutrients etc. but all people say its not good and no organic not good for health blla blla :econfused: ))). Is there any natural thing for enough nutrient to yeast for doing their Job?
# what you guys think about this whole combination in general?
# If someone already tried something like it, then how was review?

All kind suggestion and advice welcome on my above thought.
I am quite new to this hobby and on this forum as well, if i wrote this on wrong forum or present any thing wired, my apologies in advance!

cheers
Ravi
In search of Dream whiskey.................
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Banana Rum

Post by NZChris »

I doubt anyone here has tried that combination, but here's what I can think of:

Plain bread yeast is better for rums than most expensive yeasts.

Don't adjust pH unless you have tested it. Lemons are as good as anything for what you are doing.

I would use a small still to make essences for the minor herbs you are wanting to add. That lets you try blends as small samples. I use an old saucepan and steamer with flour paste seals for this.

Boiled yeast is an excellent cheap nutrient.

If you want something more organic than DAP, try horse urine. If you don't have a horse, use your own, but not if you are on medications because then it wouldn't be organic.

I have made rum without DAP. Bananas contain phosphorus, so it might not be necessary.

Bananas also contain starch, so watch out for burn on during the stripping runs.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

NZChris wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:07 am I doubt anyone here has tried that combination, but here's what I can think of:

Plain bread yeast is better for rums than most expensive yeasts.

Don't adjust pH unless you have tested it. Lemons are as good as anything for what you are doing.

I would use a small still to make essences for the minor herbs you are wanting to add. That lets you try blends as small samples. I use an old saucepan and steamer with flour paste seals for this.

Boiled yeast is an excellent cheap nutrient.

If you want something more organic than DAP, try horse urine. If you don't have a horse, use your own, but not if you are on medications because then it wouldn't be organic.

I have made rum without DAP. Bananas contain phosphorus, so it might not be necessary.

Bananas also contain starch, so watch out for burn on during the stripping runs.
Hi NZ,
Thanks for reply!
you mentioned many important & interesting points for me learn :thumbup:.....
#I have a PH tester, not much used yet but i will surly test PH first then add lemon.
# small still is very interesting idea!!!i will try to make one for me someday for extracting complex herbs flavours..must be interesting project.
#Boiled yeast is an excellent cheap nutrient..never heard before, i will try to use and learn about this.
#Horse pie :lol: :lol: !!!better to be non organic :ebiggrin:
# I will take care scorching...
cheers
will update you result
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

day before yesterday started my banana rum wash!!!!!!!!!!!forgot to clik pics..will update soon...nice dark color. Used Two lemon to get PH perfectly at 5.2. I used EC118.
mjm952
Novice

Post by mjm952 »

bringing up an old one here - i have been making banana rums for quite some time now. I use bread yeast. I do a black strap molasses and pineapple rum for my main rum batches. its easy so have fun :)
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

NZChris wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:07 am If you want something more organic than DAP, try horse urine. If you don't have a horse, use your own, but not if you are on medications because then it wouldn't be organic.
How, exactly do you go about collecting horse urine? Asking for a friend ...

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

8Ball wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:37 pm
NZChris wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:07 am If you want something more organic than DAP, try horse urine. If you don't have a horse, use your own, but not if you are on medications because then it wouldn't be organic.
How, exactly do you go about collecting horse urine? Asking for a friend ...

🎱
Find a horse.

Take a bucket.

Judge your moment.

Geoff
The Baker
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

anyway banana rum was good and all finished!!!!!!!