Alder smoked barley malt

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PoppaW
Bootlegger

Alder smoked barley malt

Post by PoppaW »

So I was down at the local brewery and the owner had a part bag of alder smoked barley malt. Roughly 17.5lbs. So I taste it and it’s awesome. I brought it home with me and now I’m asking if anyone has used it. I have white wheat malt, rye malt and 2 row malt I can blend in if a recipe calls for it. I remember seeing a smoked whiskey thread here but couldn’t remember where it was. My initial thought wast just barley but if someone has ideas on how to take advantage of alder smoke I’m in.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Alder smoked barley malt

Post by 8Ball »

Here’s an idea, if you try it and don’t like it, let me know and I’ll take it off your hands.

40% alder smoked barley malt
40% 2-row (Maris Otter or Simpsons Golden Promise also would be nice)
15% wheat malt
5% rye

Step mash at 2.2 #/gallon of water. US-05 yeast. Ferment on the grain. Reserve about 5-10% of the fermented mash and strip the rest out until the low wines are at 28% abv. Charge the boiler for the spirit with the low wines and the reserved fermented mash. Make a tight heart cut and age at 60-65% on used toasted & charred white oak for at least a year, the longer the better.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
bluedog
Novice

Post by bluedog »

I love alder smoke. Was it something the shop owner made, or is it available to purchase from a specific maltster? I'd love to get my hands on some.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

Two things. I don’t have us-05 yeast. And your not getting my whisky after all that and a years aging.
So I can substitute with my scotch yeast or my rye yeast. That I can do. Why stop stripping at 28% ? If for a good reason I will but I go to 210f on the top of the still and I can’t taste alcohol. Very sweet and some smoke. Or is that the reason to keep some wash? Keep the smoke fresh. I will do it if it’s best.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

bluedog wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:02 pm I love alder smoke. Was it something the shop owner made, or is it available to purchase from a specific maltster? I'd love to get my hands on some.
It was from a malting company. I will have to look at the bag as I didn’t notice the name. It made me think of fresh salmon supper.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

PoppaW wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:05 pm Two things. I don’t have us-05 yeast. And your not getting my whisky after all that and a years aging.
So I can substitute with my scotch yeast or my rye yeast. That I can do. Why stop stripping at 28% ? If for a good reason I will but I go to 210f on the top of the still and I can’t taste alcohol. Very sweet and some smoke. Or is that the reason to keep some wash? Keep the smoke fresh. I will do it if it’s best.
I meant strip until ALL your low wines are at 28%, by then you should be at 210-212F at the top of the pot. Adding some fresh to the spirit run adds back smoke and flavor. Your substitute yeasts should work fine. Well if you won’t give me the whiskey, at least tell me how it works out for you. :)

🎱
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

So reading more on step mashing. I see from a link in your post on it that the beer guys have ‘custom’ steps for certain flavours. They also have the ‘cover your bases’ step. I would assume I would do that but not go as hot as the beer guys. I guess my step mashes I have done are pretty weak compared to those beer guys.
Oh and when it’s done if you are near the door is open for a drink. Not sure how to mail a shot!! :shock:
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

PoppaW wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:08 am So reading more on step mashing. I see from a link in your post on it that the beer guys have ‘custom’ steps for certain flavours. They also have the ‘cover your bases’ step. I would assume I would do that but not go as hot as the beer guys. I guess my step mashes I have done are pretty weak compared to those beer guys.
Oh and when it’s done if you are near the door is open for a drink. Not sure how to mail a shot!! :shock:
This is how I step mash my all malt whiskey:

16.5# + 6G = 109F strike temp x 30 min, pH 5.29
30 mins @ 109F
60 mins @ 128F-120F, ph 5.38, SG 1.034r, add 1G water: ph:5.42
10 mins @ 131F-137F, heat up to next step of:
90 mins @ 140F-145F (wrapped up) 1.060r
30 mins @ 148F, then drift down to 140F
Iodine check for conversion, if good then chill down, if not, slowly back up to 148F.

Heat up slowly for the strip with a little butter and you won’t have a puking problem.

I’ll be glad to share a drink with you!

🎱
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

bluedog wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:02 pm I love alder smoke. Was it something the shop owner made, or is it available to purchase from a specific maltster? I'd love to get my hands on some.
Maybe not alder. Smells just like it. The maker is Best Malz. I guess they call it beechwood.
bluedog
Novice

Post by bluedog »

PoppaW wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:56 pm
Maybe not alder. Smells just like it. The maker is Best Malz. I guess they call it beechwood.
Cool, thanks for getting back to me. There is a book called alt whiskies that talks about making liqiud smoke and blending it into the spirit. Been wanted to play around with different smokes for a while now.
jimsgins
Novice

Post by jimsgins »

bluedog wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:56 am
PoppaW wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:56 pm
Cool, thanks for getting back to me. There is a book called alt whiskies that talks about making liqiud smoke and blending it into the spirit. Been wanted to play around with different smokes for a while now.
They did a follow up called FireWater which is all about the flavours different smokes impart. Can recommend.
ideasinbeer
Novice

Post by ideasinbeer »

Hi folks,

I'm a beer brewer, and have some experience with smoked malt.

Best Malz and a few other germans make beechwood smoked malt.

If you look around at other suppliers (North America and British) you can find a variety of different kinds of smoke in malt.

Alder
Cherrywood
Peat
etc.

Beechwood is pretty neutral.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I make my own malt, so I once built a mini smoker and made a beer, just out of curiosity (really mini, only 1kg). If you use a little ingenuity, you can make your own smoked malt.
ideasinbeer
Novice

Post by ideasinbeer »

You definitely can. I've done it too. Getting consistency is tricky to say the least.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

Well after a small run of rum I have this started in the fermenter. My kid walked by and said it smells like hotdogs. It has been Christened. About 5 degrees f to go to yeast pitch.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

Well three big strips and a spirit run and the results are in jars airing out. Ready for cuts tomorrow. I pre guessed already and will see how it smells and tastes tomorrow.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

Well almost a year has gone by and I blended down the alder smoked whisky. Very nice. Some smoke comes through. I have enjoyed it and some friends have as well. I think this is one of my best yet thanks for the recipe ideas.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

PoppaW wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:04 pm Well almost a year has gone by and I blended down the alder smoked whisky. Very nice. Some smoke comes through. I have enjoyed it and some friends have as well. I think this is one of my best yet thanks for the recipe ideas.
I thought you corrected yourself saying it was, “beechwood smoked malt”, didn’t you?

Alder smoke would be slightly more acidic than beechwood, giving it a “tartness” which is a nice complement to fish. Beechwood smoke is softer and more neutral, making it appropriate for traditional German rauchbiers.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

You are correct. Was calling it alder here at the house because nobody knows what beechwood is. It was absolutely beechwood smoked grain. Regardless of name it’s a tasty drop. I might try the same recipe with peated barley. I enjoy the slight rye addition.