1938 Gran' Ma "household beer" recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

1938 Gran' Ma "household beer" recipe

Post by Fredistiller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:54 am

Hi everyone!

Recently I found back my grand mother's cook book, anno 1938. I putted it in a box, many years ago, and completely forgot about. Until one of those days, when you go to the attic to find something, and you come down with hidden treasures but without what you were looking for...

I found different recipes under "household fermented beverages" ( = my translation). And one "household beer" aroused my curiosity. They boil in 20L of water all the ingredients: barley, hop and chicory root (for colour), add 10 L of water with dissolved sugar and fill a 30 L barrel through a cloth.
I can live with that, but he way they describe the fermentation is peculiar:

"Let the barrel uncorked. The day after, pitch the yeast that was diluted in lukewarm water. Stir with a wooden stick. Let the barrel uncorked for 6 days. Fill it every morning and evening with water to replace the liquid lost during fermentation. The 7th day, put the cork on the barrel. On the 8th day pour the beer in bottles. Use cork that were boiled for 5 minutes"

But to avoid air in the barrel, why filling the barrel completely? But for the escaping Co² why insisting so much about leaving the barrel uncorked? Why 6 days? Why close it for just one day before bottling? What is that "fermentation loss", that forces you to fill the barrel twice a day? Foaming up?

All I can think of, is: this a cheap and messy "air lock method". But maybe there are other reasons?
By the way, in the other recipes, they just say "let ferment..." or " let sit..."

When I see all the precautions and sterilizations in making beer at home nowadays. At that time it was ...hmm, different!

Anyway I think I'll give it a go for the sake of experiment (read: for me to have fun)

Fred.

NotNamedGary
Novice

Re: 1938 Gran' Ma "household beer" recipe

Post by NotNamedGary » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:10 am

Very interesting. ‘Replacing liquid lost’ does give a strong impression of a messy activity.

Maybe it was something like the open top fermentation in this video:

Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 1938 Gran' Ma "household beer" recipe

Post by Fredistiller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:53 am

Great video ! But one thing is 100% sure: My grand mother would have NEVER tolerated such a mess in her house! :D

And your video remembers me of my uncle's "youth tale". He played with his friends in the straw barn of a farmer in the neighbourhood. The farmer was angry and chased them every time. Once they get caught and received physical punishment.

They took revenge by pouring a huge bunch of yeast in his sceptic/manure tank. Even after 50 years he couldn't help die laughing when telling this story! (which happened at every family reunion...you know how it goes)