Vanilla Spiced Rum Recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

krausen89
Novice

Vanilla Spiced Rum Recipe

Post by krausen89 »

I believe this to be my 2nd-3rd rum wash. Not sure how it will turn out but i will post results when its done

5 12oz jars of Molasses
2 quarts light karo corn syrup with vanilla
1/8 tsp vanilla
4 gallons of water

I plan to do a stripping run and then adding in a teabag of constant comment (spiced tea) to the boiler or somehow suspending it in the boiler for the spirit run. not sure what effects the black tea will have but hopefully some of the spice and vanilla from the wash will carry over. should i just do one run if i want a lot of flavor carried over? or is it a matter of blending the cuts? any suggestions would be appreciated. this will be my 2nd or 3rd rum and i had no idea what i was doing for the 1st couple lol
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Vanilla Spiced Rum Recipe

Post by rubberduck71 »

There are many folks with more experience in just their pinky finger than I have in my whole body, but if carrying over the flavor of the wash is important in your end product, might I recommend Odin's 1.5 technique? I use it quite a bit in the ryes & tequila's I've done so far.

Make 2 ferments: strip 1 & add it to the wash of another & then spirit run it. Keep your feints for future rum runs.

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
krausen89
Novice

Post by krausen89 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:12 pm There are many folks with more experience in just their pinky finger than I have in my whole body, but if carrying over the flavor of the wash is important in your end product, might I recommend Odin's 1.5 technique? I use it quite a bit in the ryes & tequila's I've done so far.

Make 2 ferments: strip 1 & add it to the wash of another & then spirit run it. Keep your feints for future rum runs.

Duck
Duck, Thanks i think that is what i will plan to do. I did do 2 batches of rum, one is just 5 bags of light brown sugar and 4 gallons of water. maybe i will strip that one and then add do the vanilla one and do a spirit run. might even add an earl grey tea bag as well with the constant comment. it has bergamont and might do well with the orange in the constant comment. also contemplating vanilla chai but i will have to look up what all is in that
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I'm a HUGE early grey fan! Green earl grey tea actually... Green tea kills cancer! (or was that broccoli? George Carlin anyone???)

Let us know how it turns out krausen. I have 2 gallons of black strap molasses waiting in the wings...
krausen89
Novice

Post by krausen89 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:36 am I'm a HUGE early grey fan! Green earl grey tea actually... Green tea kills cancer! (or was that broccoli? George Carlin anyone???)

Let us know how it turns out krausen. I have 2 gallons of black strap molasses waiting in the wings...
Carlin is one of my favorite comedians though i don't remember that skit. didn't know they made green earl grey. i will have to try that one. Earl grey is one of my favorites as well and i have used it for tannins and the bergamont in multiple recipes my favorite being a semi-sweet earl grey mead with ginseng...lost the recipe along with others so i would have to re-formulate it.

Green tea is very good for you it does helps the immune system, i was just looking yesterday how good Gin is for you due to the juniper berries. If i can find the green tea earl grey i might use that for the added benefits lol

I will post the results. in theory it sounds amazing Just need to decide if i should suspend the teabags or add them to the boiler
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I would suspend them if you can. Not sure of your still type, but if it's floating around your boiler, could settle & scorch. Scorching pretty much ruins the batch, as I understand from my reading...