Tequila

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Trot
Novice

Tequila

Post by Trot »

Hi brewers and shakers, I've been looking in to making my own Tequila. Where i live in Perth WA there are a lot of Centry Americana plants. dose anyone know if you can use this agave plant to make Tequila or is it a special type of agave to make the sprit.I'm aware of the process but i not sure of the
particular type of agave used. Dose anyone out there have any answers .

Trot :thumbup:
tubbsy
Swill Maker

Re: Tequila

Post by tubbsy »

Trot
Novice

Post by Trot »

Hi tubs, I look at the site you mentioned but just wanted to see if anyone had used the Century Americana to make Tequila as one of the Australian plant ID site said that it's poisonous. and yes it is if not prepared right.

So thanks for the info .
All the best . Stay safe

Trot
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Even the blue agave plant (from which tequila is traditionally made) is poisonous and must be harvested carefully. Somewhere in the process that toxicity is managed/removed but I cannot tell which step makes the drink safe. I don't know if other agave species are suitable for fermentation/distillation - maybe those who've tried are not around to tell us????
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

Only 6 spirit runs under my belt so far, so I'm still wet behind the ears. I have not made tequila.

Just FYI - Mezcal is fermented Agave juice. Tequila is fermented BLUE Agave juice, and is a type of Mezcal.
Trot
Novice

Post by Trot »

thanks seamusm53 and homebrewer25, I went on to some Mexican web site with images of our local century Americana and yes you can use them to make Tequila with. There is a centre part of the plant you must remove before baking for 3 days, crushing, pulping and then distilling. So my next thing to do is make an Agave cutting knife and prepare a hole for baking.

Thanks guys

Trot
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Check out the tried & true recipe under "mezcal" it has a recipe from digging out the agave to taking first sip of the likker. Hope this helps.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks: