no-cook millet whiskey

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

vernue
Site Donor
Site Donor

no-cook millet whiskey

Post by vernue »

This is nothing really new, simply using Booner's Casual protocol with millet instead of with corn meal. I poured about 20 liters of boiling water onto 5 k. millet that I had passed through a mill. Usually I cook the millet, but this was an experiment that went right. Stirred and added HTL enzyme, let it sit for 90 minutes with a coupla stirs, uncovered and let it cool down to 150F, added 2 T citric acid and GL, stirred again a few times. Iodine test - which i rarely do anymore - was great, and SG is standing at 1.072.

When cooking millet, it turns quite suddenly from a liquid with grains to a single semi-solid chunk of starch that is a pain to work with. I might be able to prevent that by pre-mashing with malt, but working with the enzymes is a joy.

Last night, I tasted a millet whiskey I started ageing 3 months ago and decided on the spot to try it again with this protocol. My millet whiskey tastes kind of foul until is starts tasting good - at about 3 months - and then just keeps getting better.
Both me and my whiskey are ageing. I hope my whiskey finishes first.
5 g. clawhammer
50 l. homemade pot still
5 l alembic for alchemy and experiments
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: no-cook millet whiskey

Post by 8Ball »

Where did you get the millet? A feed & seed store? Is there a specific kind to ask for?
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”