First barrel run

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve3730
Bootlegger

First barrel run

Post by Steve3730 »

Decided with my still set up in a more comfortable permeant spot and the world still locked down it is the perfect time to tackle filling up a virgin barrel. Going with a 5 gallon barrel from barrelsonline.com. With investing the time and money I figure I'd reach out for a little more wisdom on making this the highest quality run I've done

Recipe per 5 gallons of wash
flaked corn 12lbs
white wheat 3lbs
distillers malt 2lbs
flaked wheat 1lbs
Yeast DADY pre activated in a yeast starter
Treated water

besides making super tight cuts what else can I look for to put the most into this run?
Durhommer
Distiller

Re: First barrel run

Post by Durhommer »

Little more malt for flavor
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

More water or less grain. You are over 3 pounds per gallon on the grain/water ratio.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Steve3730
Bootlegger

Post by Steve3730 »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:01 pm More water or less grain. You are over 3 pounds per gallon on the grain/water ratio.

🎱
looking to mash with 8 gallons of water and collect just under 6. sorry had 5 cause I use a homebrew software to build my recipes but it gets confused with no boil. I should have been looking at just the mash part.
Durhommer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:46 pm Little more malt for flavor

Think maybe 1lbs of crystal 20 or 40 will give it some malt flavor?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Depends on what you’re looking for. A great many bourbon grain bills run between 5% and 12% barley and yours comes in at 11%, right in the middle.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Steve3730
Bootlegger

Post by Steve3730 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 pm Depends on what you’re looking for. A great many bourbon grain bills run between 5% and 12% barley and yours comes in at 11%, right in the middle.
I looked at some commercial Bourbons recipes and I based my %s to be in line with the Weller and Van Winkle.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I would be using cornmeal and wheat malt, but that’s just me. I can’t justify a premium for pre-gelled raw grains.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Steve3730
Bootlegger

Post by Steve3730 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:58 am I would be using cornmeal and wheat malt, but that’s just me. I can’t justify a premium for pre-gelled raw grains.
I get the flaked corn through group bulk buys my homebrew club does. So I get it around $30/50lbs bag. Probably still pricey compared to cornmeal but I'm not paying the $2-$3 per pound local home brew stores usually have it for
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Gotcha. I was paying $30 for Bobs Red Mill medium cornmeal until I found (through a HD member) Restaurant Depot sells it for $16/50lbs. Don't know how long that is gonna last however, once the pandemic is over.

You probably get a group buy price for base malts I bet.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Steve3730 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:18 am
Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:58 am I would be using cornmeal and wheat malt, but that’s just me. I can’t justify a premium for pre-gelled raw grains.
I get the flaked corn through group bulk buys my homebrew club does. So I get it around $30/50lbs bag. Probably still pricey compared to cornmeal but I'm not paying the $2-$3 per pound local home brew stores usually have it for
Bob's Red Mill corn meal is about $1.40 a pound in the 25 pound sacks locally. Try you local Restaurant supply stores.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I just ground feed corn to meal lastnight its 7 bucks for 40 pounds here
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm Gotcha. I was paying $30 for Bobs Red Mill medium cornmeal until I found (through a HD member) Restaurant Depot sells it for $16/50lbs. Don't know how long that is gonna last however, once the pandemic is over.

You probably get a group buy price for base malts I bet.
The last time I bought corn, I paid $7.50 for a 50# sack. Very clean, fresh, feed grade. My grain grinder & drill make short work out of creating fresh, coarse ground as needed.

🎱
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

8Ball wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:46 pm
The last time I bought corn, I paid $7.50 for a 50# sack. Very clean, fresh, feed grade. My grain grinder & drill make short work out of creating fresh, coarse ground as needed.

🎱
Damn. Great price. Thats a lotta likker for not very much money.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Steve3730
Bootlegger

Post by Steve3730 »

Do you still need to do the cooking process to get it to germinate like cracked corn? I've never done that step only read the process but for the little bit I'm making its worth the money to skip that step
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Steve3730 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:55 pm Do you still need to do the cooking process to get it to germinate like cracked corn?
No. (I'm guessing you meant gelatinize). Flaked corn has been steamed and flattened with rollers to initiate conversion and facilitate faster conversion and increased yield. Cracked corn requires the time and heat of simmering to get it soft enough to gel sufficiently for conversion yet still offers a lower yield. I have heard of some distillers milling their flaked grains to obtain even faster mash times and increased yield.

This shows closeup what happens to corn granules as they hydrolize and gel. You can see and feel this happen during a mash and can eventually learn to determine if it's gelled enough just by looking at it.
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:37 pm
8Ball wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:46 pm

🎱
Damn. Great price. Thats a lotta likker for not very much money.
Just checked. It’s up to $8.25 for 50# now ...
#1 Grade Whole Corn
-Triple cleaned to remove foreign matter and excess dust
-Aflatoxin tested

🎱
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

8Ball wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:15 pm Just checked. It’s up to $8.25 for 50# now ...
#1 Grade Whole Corn
-Aflatoxin tested
super secret source there 8Ball??
be water my friend
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

cob wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:40 pm
8Ball wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:15 pm Just checked. It’s up to $8.25 for 50# now ...
#1 Grade Whole Corn
-Aflatoxin tested
super secret source there 8Ball??
Here ya go!
https://centralstatesonline.com/product ... e-corn-50/

🎱