Apple brandy 1.5 distillation - % of cider in second run?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Apple brandy 1.5 distillation - % of cider in second run?

Post by stillanoob »

Hi All,

Well, my 30 gallons of cider is getting close to ready to run for brandy. This is only my second year and fourth run of making apple brandy. I am toying with the idea of doing a 1.5 run to bring across more of the apple flavor. I was thinking along the lines of cutting off the stripping run so as to wind up well above 30% and then adding cider to bring it back down to under 30% for the final run. Is that enough to make a difference? Is there any established ratio for this kind of thing?

Any other tips or tricks to bring across more flavor? While last years is shaping up nicely and there is no doubt of the fruit it came from I would love to get more apple in the spirit.

Thanks!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Apple brandy 1.5 distillation - % of cider in second run?

Post by jonnys_spirit »

That sounds like a good plan. Maybe do a smaller more headsy cut too and thrown it oak for potential blending down the road as it all ages since I feel like the fruitiness is more in the heads and it may age well too?

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Thanks Jonny, I appreciate the feedback.

I'm a heads monster for apple brandy. I agree the flavor is in the heads. I was lucky enough to do my first run with a French trained distiller who worked in the cognac trade and know makes apple brandy and he says the same thing. He showed me to toss the fores and then taste carefully for the first change in flavor, where the ethyl acetate (I think) cuts off. Collect everything after that until you taste tails. I know some say that is a recipe for a wicked hangover but that hasn't been my experience although I don't drink too much at a time. It tastes great.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Noob,

I think you'll get some damn fine results with your plan. I have done a few runs this way and am pleased with the end product.
For most of my fruit runs, I do what I believe is a true 1.5 run. I split my wash, strip run, then proof down with left over wash and re-run. I use a proofing calculator to get close %.
It should be more accurate with the type of run you are talking about.
https://www.essentialdistilling.com/res ... calculator
Scroll down to the proofing calculator.

Best of luck on you run!
Let us know what you get.

Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I've been recently recommended to pull the best part of the stripping run to add to the final spirit. I haven't tried it but sounds like it might lend a similar result to a 1.5 run.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

In those scenarios (taking a tight hearts cut on a strip) a slower more controlled strip may also help compress heads and tails a bit. I usually run the strips pretty full on for sake of time..

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Thanks for the replies. Good to know I am headed in some sort of reasonable direction.

IrishG, when you do your "true" 1.5, what is your starting ABV in the second run? I do wonder if my plan above puts enough cider in the low wines to be effective.

Another question: Is there any reason why a thumper would add more flavor than a 1.5 run? I do have a 5 gallon tall keg that would be very simple to convert, I would just have to do the plumbing.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Noob,

Shoot for 35% - 40% ABV, above 40% and you're in the danger zone. I do my best to keep it at 35%.
Based on process, a thumper should give you more flavor. I am currently building a five gallon vertical thumper.

Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Thanks I'G., I know to keep the ABV below 40. Iwas wondering if yours wound up much lower than 30%. Sounds not.

I have been reading up on thumpers for a while. Your take on the process of a thumper that is better than a 1.5 distillation? Intuitively it feels to me it would be better but I have no real explanations as to why.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Here is a quick read: https://stilldragon.com/blog/thumper-di ... tillations.

I am building a thumper because I have sampled a number of product from a mate who runs a thumper and his product is far superior to my own.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Irish
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Thanks for the link IG. The fact that your buddy's is better than yours is a compelling reason. Also it is fun to build stuff and I have the tall keg just sitting around. Are you running whisky or brandy?
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

I mainly run whiskey and brandy, rum on occasion. Sometimes I run sugar heads, but seem to be getting away from that.
A thumper will benefit both whiskey and brandy. Since I don’t have my thumper complete, I fill a mesh container with fruit or grain and run this inside the still for a flavor boost. Seems to work, but not the same way a thumper does.
Getting back to topic, I would do a run with apple cider and low wines and one with low wines and wash. See what you get and continue running with the better of the two. We all have different taste and that’s what is great about what we do here. Find out what YOU like and worry about making yourself a better product.
Cheers
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Ain't ever gonna get all the flavors an scent. Get some rye an pour hot slops out of kettle on top of rye . After it cools a mite dump some sugar in an yeast. Easy on the sugar cause hot ain't a flaver.

So I'm tole