mesquite smoked malted barley

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VOLRATH86
Novice

mesquite smoked malted barley

Post by VOLRATH86 »

Okay, so I came into some mesquite smoked malt 15lbs from a beer homebrew store for free as they weren't selling much of it. I have used heavy peated stuff before with great success but I am wondering if anyone has used any products like this with any fun funky flavors as a result. I am slightly temped to do 50% rye and 50% of this stuff along with a small amount of simpsons chocolate malt but I guess it would just be an experiment.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: mesquite smoked malted barley

Post by Twisted Brick »

I don’t think it’s just me, but personally find the taste imparted by mesquite smoke oily, acrid and devoid of any finesse. After all, mesquite is a weed. I would never cook a ribeye over mesquite or expose mesquite-smoked malt anywhere near my rye.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

Not a big fan of mesquite for cooking. It was free so why not give it a try? Do a small test run?
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Use it all in one run and save your good grains for something you like
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

VOLRATH86 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 am Okay, so I came into some mesquite smoked malt 15lbs from a beer homebrew store for free as they weren't selling much of it. I have used heavy peated stuff before with great success but I am wondering if anyone has used any products like this with any fun funky flavors as a result. I am slightly temped to do 50% rye and 50% of this stuff along with a small amount of simpsons chocolate malt but I guess it would just be an experiment.
I’d do it all at once with nothing else. A 100% mesquite smoked malt sounds interesting. Especially since its free. You can put it away for a long time if it doesn't suite you at first, you might be rewarded after a long aging. Might even use it to blend with other stock later.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Truck driver philosophy ,"If it feels good ; do it ." Then you will know for sure . I thing a long time ageing on charred oak would develope a unique drop .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
desert_spirits
Novice

Post by desert_spirits »

Unsure where you are. But Del Bac makes a mesquite smoked single malt whiskey out of Tucson Arizona. It's quite tasty. It comes off a bit like a campfire on the nose with some scotch-like aromas. On the tongue, it's hard to pinpoint- it's smokey but is less intense than peat. It does good, I'm looking forward to experimenting with that myself :)
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

My advice, for what it is worth, is to go small or large, not in between. Either use it sparkingly to give a hint of flavour to something, or use it all at once and like 8Ball said, throw it in the back of a cupboard and forget about it for a long while. You might be pleasantly surprised either way.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:54 am I don’t think it’s just me, but personally find the taste imparted by mesquite smoke oily, acrid and devoid of any finesse. After all, mesquite is a weed. I would never cook a ribeye over mesquite or expose mesquite-smoked malt anywhere near my rye.
Clearly you aren’t from the Great and Sovereign State of Texas, sir. That revered wood is used for everything save brushing one’s teeth (well maybe that in a pinch). :shock:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

That Mesquite shit has gone wild in parts of AU.......its now considered a noxious weed in many areas here.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Probably a bit late to this thread but my 2 cents.

My experience is totally with experimenting with rauchbier. I found a little peat smoked malt went a long way. Even 5% of the malt bill could overpower the flavor. But wood smoke was much more mild. It was also a lot more variable depending on the age of the malt. The flavor seemed to fall off significantly with age. Give you state it was slow selling I assume it was old. So I would recommend using it all in what ever you make. Lot of recipes on my list but one is a bourbon with 75% corn, 12% rye and 13% smoke barley malt
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

8Ball wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:42 pm
VOLRATH86 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 am
I’d do it all at once with nothing else. A 100% mesquite smoked malt sounds interesting. Especially since its free. You can put it away for a long time if it doesn't suite you at first, you might be rewarded after a long aging. Might even use it to blend with other stock later.
This is good advice. With free malt you’ve gotta try it, and maybe it will work you. Keep us posted!
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
VOLRATH86
Novice

Post by VOLRATH86 »

okay, so it took me awhile but I finally got this one running after going down the rum rabbit hole with great success, so thanks SBB for all your knowledge. I used 10lbs of the mesquite smoked malt 4lbs of peated malt and 3lbs of chocolate wheat (I had some rolled oats laying around that I threw in as well as I am trying to clear out old stock). The mash has a beautiful color and smells deliciously smoky with a nice chocolate hint to it. used the SAFAL T-58.... hydrated using the mash..... and had a SG of about 1.08. Did it on the fly as I was zooming for work lol. The ferment after 24 hrs is going off like gangbusters in the fastferment. I wanted to ferment on the grains for this one to squeeze every drop of flavor out of the grains but chickened out. I know this isnt quite as scientific as most other swillmakers but I'm having fun and finally drinking the good stuff IMO. thnaks for all your input ladies and gents!
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

sounds awesome!
Nanacooks
Novice

Post by Nanacooks »

How was the final spirit? I’m hanging on!
VOLRATH86
Novice

Post by VOLRATH86 »

IMO it was delicious but I like sharp smoky flavors,and deep heavy stuff too. I have experimented with blending it with some other whiskey I have made, and after aging it is perfect to blend with others for a certain flavor profile.I have found that doing blends of ageing stock from independently different mash bills is a fun way to experiment and can really surprise you!