Seaside Vacation Gin Inspiration

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tchib
Novice

Seaside Vacation Gin Inspiration

Post by tchib »

Hi there, long time reader, first time poster here.
I have done a fair bit of column stilling but I have ordered an alembic copper still with a riser and gin basket. The hope is to make a gin which will suit the theme of my local seaside town to offer guests at my small hotel. All perfectly legal where I am.
I am really here looking for inspiration and advice on ingredients. So think sailing boats, seagulls, nature walks, island picnics, sun bathing, fishing, parties on the beach and relaxing on vacation.

What comes to mind? Fresh or jammy? Strong or subtle? Sweet or brisk?

My first thoughts are to have everything in the boiler except the citrus which could be vapor infused. Blueberries grow well here, as does sea-buckthorn. Strawberries are a local specialty too. There is wild juniper but not nearly enough to make much gin but maybe I can use the green berries for something?

I will develop this recipe and keep you all informed as it reaches it's potential.
Thanks -T.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Seaside Vacation Gin Inspiration

Post by howie »

the mention of the seaside makes mermaid gin comes to mind.
hops and a bit of foraging for things like rock samphire
tchib
Novice

Post by tchib »

howie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:33 pm ... foraging for things like rock samphire
oh I love that idea, how does it come out in the gin though? Would it be a little grassy? Never tried it in the still.
Docstiller
Novice

Post by Docstiller »

I do believe you have to be careful with wild juniper. I think some varieties can be poisonous
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

tchib wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:40 pm
howie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:33 pm ... foraging for things like rock samphire
oh I love that idea, how does it come out in the gin though? Would it be a little grassy? Never tried it in the still.
i couldn't find any samphire, and nobody can post them to our state apparently, so i just used the rest of the botanicals including hops.
it is very enjoyable anyway, despite having a very slight green tinge from the hops lol

i have just found a 'fish & lily farm' locally that stocks the samphire plant, so i'll be getting one soon.

i've just got some inspiration from this australian gin.......sounds interesting
https://www.applewooddistillery.com.au/ ... mphire-gin
Greenmole
Novice

Post by Greenmole »

tchib,

How did you get on with the Sea Buckthorn? I saw British chef Rick Stein on TV the other day and he mentioned it is now very popular in tonic and also vodka recipes. Did you use any for your gin and if so, how did it turn out?

Cheers,
Greenmole