Pineapple Vodka?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Pineapple Vodka?

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

A few weeks back the Walmart had pineapples for $1 each. I can't walk through a store and not think, I can make liquor from that or with that. So I bought 25 of those little drops of goodness. Did get a couple funny looks with 25 pineapples in my cart but, don't judge me was the look I gave them.

My process:

Cut up 25 pineapples removing the skin and the cores. Cores are bitter so I figured that would come over.

Mashed everything up with my drill and paint stir stick. Note, ease into it, don't go full speed right away as you will throw a pineapple all over. Too much power too fast make me look like Tim Taylor.

Once it was a mush I added two 5 gallon pails of hot water with 10 lbs of sugar in each. 10 gallons water & 20 lbs sugar.

Mixed it all up and filled added another 15 gallons of water in my 30 gallon barrel.

Finished with 5 oz of bakers yeast.

It took a little over 2 weeks for the cap to drop. I went from a 1.08 SG to a 1.0.

I ran it this weekend and ended up with a little over 2 gallons of liquor at 80%.

After cutting it down to 40% (80 proof) I was surprised to see how much pineapple flavor came though. Shared with some friends and all enjoyed.
Butch27
Swill Maker

Re: Pineapple Vodka?

Post by Butch27 »

I think it should make some tasty liker but your title is somewhat misleading. Vodka is supposed to be pretty much flavourless so I am not sure why you would waste pineapple trying to make it. There are quite a few recipes in the tried and true that are more suited to making vodka/neutral.
Docstiller
Novice

Post by Docstiller »

I would imagine this would be more of a pineapple moonshine than a vodka. Does sound tasty though
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

That's why I had the question mark. Not really sure it's a vodka since it's not a neutral. Not really sure what to call it. Since it's made from fruit, maybe it's a brandy?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Pineapple Vodka
Pineapple Vodka
Not so unusual. It actually has been done commercially. I haven’t tried it, so I cannot comment on the quality of product.

Typically, one would associate the pineapple flavor as a complement to a rum, not a vodka. But perhaps it might work well in a light summer cocktail.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Not to get too far off topic. Seems like a lot of companies have done away with all concept of classical definitions and reputable methods. All sorts of flavored “Vodka’s”. Whiskey with caramel color added. Everyone is a “master blender” selling the sh*t as their own. Either way I’m now VERY interested in making some delicious pineapple flavored... whatever. Thanks SCUMBAG.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

I have done this with many fruits with Pineapple as some others, the pH has to be kept under control.
However I do some as a vodka, there is a definite character carryover, and then add dehydrated fruit to the distilled product for a few days. It brings the full flavour out nicely. Other part of the run , I run through bubble plates to make a more flavourful brandy
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Butch27 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:50 am Vodka is supposed to be pretty much flavourless
Not true at all
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

SS - I've wondered if the commercial distilleries ferment from the fruit or if they add flavoring to a neutral. My guess is both but most likely add after due to cost. I'm thinking mixing with come coconut water to make the same/opposite of a pineapple Malibu? Maybe use for a Sex on the Beach? We might hit 65 Saturday so I'm taking the pontoon out. We'll see what concoction I bring.

Teddy - I did watch pH and I did need to add quit a bit of pickling lime to bring up. About every 3-4 days I stirred and checked it for SG and pH.

I checked, Walmart has them for $0.88 now. I'm stopping after work to get another batch.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Figured I would give a little update to my Pineapple (whatever you want to call it). I ran it a week ago. The pineapple carried over well. I've had great feedback on some of the taste testers at my house. One suggestion not yet tried was to mix coconut water and see how close to a Malibu Pineapple it is.

Anyway, it worked so well I bought another 25 pineapples and will be running in the next few days. I do notice pineapples are now $0.50 at Walmart now so there will likely be a third run. You can't walk by them that cheap.....