Coffee likker!

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Coffee likker!

Post by goinbroke2 »

So, while on a drive we came across a micro and the wife wanted to buy something. She bought a quart of “night owl “ which is, according to the label, a mix of coffee beans in moonshine.

So of course, “I can do that!!”

He’s the start.
I cut it to 25% and added a handful of whole beans, we’ll see how it goes.
85A724FB-3B4E-4ABF-8A3B-ED86D23416F1.jpeg
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Re: Coffee likker!

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

Are we drinking the moonshine looking for a coffee flavor? Or are we soaking the beans to pick up the moonshine to give the coffee the flavor? I'm thinking the best of both worlds here. Would likely need to use a flavorful shine and not a neutral. This could be a win win.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well, all the bottle says is coffe in moonshine and it’s cut to 20%.
Wife likes it with milk and ice cubes, like a cafelua I guess.

Here’s a pic of the bottle;
B6275160-04FF-4BA3-8B59-AD8E80B362FB.jpeg
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

997C8F76-3D6A-4293-A556-A3AFB9B866A2.jpeg
Wtf???
Try another pic
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Likker al caffè!

Post by Demy »

Usually with coffee I get a better result by adding an espresso in the spirit instead of the whole coffee
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

I like the ideas above. But when you do make coffee from infused beans, please consider what could happen if there is alcohol left in the product before you potentially ignite it in a grinder or coffee maker. Just thinking.
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I’ve done this with both brandy and a sugarhead oatmeal liquor. It was amazing!! After about 4-6 weeks the beans gave up just a ton of great flavor to the spirit. Strained em off it it made a great strong coffee liquor. I liked it straight or on ice.
It was also good with a bit of sweetened condensed milk as more of a creme liqueur. I guess kind of like Kalua without so much sugar.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Chucker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:08 pm I’ve done this with both brandy and a sugarhead oatmeal liquor. It was amazing!! After about 4-6 weeks the beans gave up just a ton of great flavor to the spirit. Strained em off it it made a great strong coffee liquor. I liked it straight or on ice.
It was also good with a bit of sweetened condensed milk as more of a creme liqueur. I guess kind of like Kalua without so much sugar.
So could you eat the beans too?

Geoff
The Baker
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

72123546-0952-4277-BF5C-113F737C3BBC.jpeg
Great ideas guys, here’s from today. I tried it and it was weak (I know, I know, only a couple days) but I added some more, probably 1/3 to 1/2 cup in the quart now.
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I never thought to do anything with the beans. I figured, hoped, they’d give up their coffee goodness to the spirit. Given the result I’d say the etoh did a pretty good job as an extraction solvent.
I’d presume the beans to be pretty well spent afterwards.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Likker al caffè!

Post by Demy »

goinbroke2 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:51 am 72123546-0952-4277-BF5C-113F737C3BBC.jpegGreat ideas guys, here’s from today. I tried it and it was weak (I know, I know, only a couple days) but I added some more, probably 1/3 to 1/2 cup in the quart now.
As mentioned above, I like the taste more by accoining some very concentrated coffee (espresso), whole grains usually give an aftertaste of "exhausted coffee".
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Demy, what exactly do you mean “account”?
Ground up bean or just crushed?

I thought of putting beans in a gin basket too but I didn’t.

Funny thing, I love the smell of coffee but don’t drink it. Not a fan of the taste, lol.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I’ve only just found out about cold brewed coffee and haven’t even tried it myself yet.

Coarse grind, then 12-24 hours in room temperature water, then filter. Apparently it gets the sweetness, flavours and caffeine without getting the bitterness.

I’ll try using it when proofing the whiskey for my next batch of cream liqueur.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive spent a bit of time recently trying to replicate this stuff
mr black.jpg
Cold pressed coffee is the way to go.....it gives a smoother less bitter result.
basic recipe for cold pressed is 1oz or 28-30 grams of fresh course ground coffee to 1 cup/250ml of cool water. put it in the fridge for 18 hours then filter through a fine strainer or coffee filter.
The above recipe makes a fairly strong brew which can be cut back 50/50 with 50% abv neutral and still taste good.
I use sugar syrup to sweeten it to taste.
Cristof
Novice

Post by Cristof »

For my coffee liqueur I macerate roasted coffee beans, cinnamon, vanilla beans and cloves in apple schnapps (48% abv) for a few weeks or months. Then I make caramel syrup and mix it together. People really love it 😁
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:35 pm Ive spent a bit of time recently trying to replicate this stuff
mr black.jpg
Cold pressed coffee is the way to go.....it gives a smoother less bitter result.
basic recipe for cold pressed is 1oz or 28-30 grams of fresh course ground coffee to 1 cup/250ml of cool water. put it in the fridge for 18 hours then filter through a fine strainer or coffee filter.
The above recipe makes a fairly strong brew which can be cut back 50/50 with 50% abv neutral and still taste good.
I use sugar syrup to sweeten it to taste.
I use a cold brew coffee similar to the one pictured as well.
9D2F0394-B1EE-43BB-8199-AA65626A6C49.jpeg
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I would like to say this ended well.
It didn’t.

As far as the flavour, etc I guess it was awesome as the wife drank it all last night and was up until four am playing the drums, stomping around, music blasting, wide awake.
Coffee kept her up and alcohol did the rest. Not impressed. Won’t be making it again.

I’d like to tell a funny story but two quarts (the original bottle, the quart I made and half of the second quart I made took the haha out of it.

Maybe someday when I’m not pissed about it I’ll write it up in the liars bench.

Not now though.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That sounds like my version of Buckfast Tonic Wine :D Don't make that for her either.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

goinbroke2 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:37 pm Demy, what exactly do you mean “account”?
Ground up bean or just crushed?

I thought of putting beans in a gin basket too but I didn’t.

Funny thing, I love the smell of coffee but don’t drink it. Not a fan of the taste, lol.
I apologize for not having answered, the comment escaped. I meant that I like a liqueur (or distilled) made by mixing a coffee (espresso, concentrated) mixed with alcohol compared to one made with whole coffee .. the whole coffee often gave me a aftertaste of "coffee waste". I apologize for my bad English, I hope you understand.Another way I tried (perhaps would reduce the useful caffeine in your case :lol: ) is soluble powdered coffee, I tried on a liqueur and it was good.
For coffee (espresso) I mean this
caffe.jpg
While for soluble coffee I mean this (there is the version without caffeine)
solubile.jpg
Last edited by Demy on Sat May 01, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NZChris wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm That sounds like my version of Buckfast Tonic Wine :D Don't make that for her either.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... estruction

Edited to add the lnk.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks for the explanation demy.
HiroP
Novice

Post by HiroP »

I have tried beans (ground) and espresso using the same beans. The espresso was much better.
PedanticPete
Novice

Post by PedanticPete »

This is an older thread on this idea,
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=12120

Been having a look, as my wife just got me some “Conker spirit, cold brew coffee liqueur”, gives a fascinating twist to a Negroni …

Pete
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

You macerated for days?

I take about a cup of beans to a 70cl bottle of rum. Let steep door about 15-20 minutes, any longer and I get Damy's spent coffee taste.

And yes, the coffee rum shines in a negroni!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

goinbroke2 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:48 am 997C8F76-3D6A-4293-A556-A3AFB9B866A2.jpegWtf???
Try another pic
Did you try just contracting the distiller? I have found many craft brewers and distillers who are happy to share info.