Which Grain for neutral, or is sugar just fine?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Storm
Novice

Which Grain for neutral, or is sugar just fine?

Post by Storm »

Hi

I got my feed wet in the hobby a few months back and have done quiet a few runs. Certainly not expierenced but I guess I got sugar wash mostly figured out ^^.

Since I only do 2 types of spirits ...well kinda 3 (Gin, (Irish-ish)Whiskey and Honey Whiskey) I thought about stepping up my Gin Game maybe a little.

So far I create my neutral exclusivly from sugar wash, but commercial gin has to be made from grain (which type isnt specified). But thats exactly where my question comes in.
Which kind of Grain is best to use to get a relatively neutral product (without destilling it too often)?
And is it worth it in your opinion? It is more costly than sugar and more effort is involved. Is a regular guy even able to taste the differents after the gin is flavoured?

So far my grain bill is far from complex but actually already does the trick for me: 2/3 Pilsner malt, 1/3 pure Barley, add sugar if sg to low for your liking. Yellow Label angel yeast because it takes away all worries abouth the ferment :angel: (for my neutral sugar wash i use safespirit neutral)
Easy as cake and the result is just as easy to drink. Certainly no complex taste but, I dont care because it really doesnt burn much, which is a worth while trade for me. :D right down the jameson alley

but even for this simple grain bill the low wines are quiet smellable, so not suited I guess? Apperently rye is used alot for gin, but rye whiskey has a much more intense taste :? sounds counterproductive to me

What would be a possible goal to me: just creating one mash from now on and just treating it differently. (because iam lazy)
So for gin: destill 2 Times, than flavour on 3 run with botanicals.
For whiskey: destill once, age on oak, proof down, done
For honey whiskey: destill once, age on oak, proof down with honey sirup, done.

Can this work or will every mash that is good for (admittidly rather shallow) whiskey be to strong in tast than it could be made into a decent neutral within a reasonable amount of runs?
Is there a defacto standard yeast you would recommend for whiskey? OR at least a most common one
Whats your expierence/thoughts/best guess?

I hope, I wasnt to confusing and Iam looking forward to all the input you have for me :)
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Which Grain for neutral, or is sugar just fine?

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Wheat.
Triple distiied
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I too agree with wheat. In truth you need i explain a little more what I think ..... you can get more or less neutral alcohol from anything if you know how to do (many distillations, reflux etc.) I talk about cereals, potatoes, sugar, etc. . For me the sugar washing is the one more neutral than all, the other types of neutral will always have a "imprint" unique, they will still be neutral but have a unique feeling, this as long as your palate knows how to recognize. So I believe that every type of neutral (recipe) can find a fair place based on the product you want to get. Among the cereals, the wheat is the most delicate one. Obviously all these are just my opinions.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

TEddysad’s FFV is from sugar and wheat bran and is very neutral!
-- Rrmuf
Storm
Novice

Post by Storm »

Thanks alot, so maybe I interpreted nutral wrong.
Because tastewise Neutral from Wheat isnt the same as Neutral from Rye and isnt the same as a neutral from sugar wash.
So in short Neutralisnt alsways neutral.
I see. Thanks ^^

But adjusting my recipe with more wheat could help me geat a more neutral product to beginn with. It wont be absolutley neutral, but neutral enough in a sense ^^

I will give it a try with:
3 kg Barley
2 kg Pilsner Malt
1 kg Wheat Malt
~2kg sugar

I could lower the amount of pilsner for more wheat but I dont know if the diastatic power will be enough, probably if i lower the barley but that could make it less smooth...
But that gives me the info I need to play around.

Thanks alot if I remember it I will give you an update if the jack of all trades (master of none) mash works ^^
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Why not try a tried & true neutral recipe (as suggested earlier) and compare it against what you have come up with? If it is not to your liking, then start tweaking it.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

8Ball wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:41 am Why not try a tried & true neutral recipe (as suggested earlier) and compare it against what you have come up with? If it is not to your liking, then start tweaking it.
+1.

Storm, unless you’re an experienced all grain brewer, trying to “create” a neutral base for your gins will require several attempts to get it right. Experience has its advantages.

So, As 8ball pointed out —> stick to the Tried & True recipes to start with. They’re “proven by experience” over time.

When you have control of your processes (brewing, fermenting, and distilling), then maybe you can get creative and make your own mash recipe. Until then, stick to the basics....less troubleshooting for us here on the forum.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Post by SomethingObscure »

Rrmuf wrote:TEddysad’s FFV is from sugar and wheat bran and is very neutral!

still_stirrin wrote:
8Ball wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:41 am Why not try a tried & true neutral recipe (as suggested earlier) and compare it against what you have come up with? If it is not to your liking, then start tweaking it.
+1.

Storm, unless you’re an experienced all grain brewer, trying to “create” a neutral base for your gins will require several attempts to get it right. Experience has its advantages.

So, As 8ball pointed out —> stick to the Tried & True recipes to start with. They’re “proven by experience” over time.

Don't want to be a pedantic a$$ but I'm sure teds fast fermenting vodka is and will never be tried and true.
[emoji15][emoji21]

Yummyrum wrote:@ Garouda & Rrmuf and others that have asked .

The moderation team have had several discussions over whether to include TFFV in tried and true . While we appreciate that there have been many requests for this including from Ted him self ,and by comments from users that it no doubt works , we have thought hard about it decided that it is not really that much different from a multitude of other sugar wash variants and doesn’t really offer any real ground braking advances to the Hobby .

Sorry Folk
I've only made it once but It seems to me like many already consider tffv tried and true.

Don't mean to sh!t stir [emoji106]

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Just wondering what sort of still is being used to make this " Neutral"
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Storm wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:36 pm Which kind of Grain is best to use to get a relatively neutral product (without destilling it too often)?

Rice.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

SomethingObscure wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am Don't want to be a pedantic a$$ but I'm sure teds fast fermenting vodka is and will never be tried and true.
[emoji15][emoji21]

I've only made it once but It seems to me like many already consider tffv tried and true.

It's essentially a variation of Deathwish Wheat Germ, which IS in Tried&True.

However I find TFFV to be easier to make, a bit more neutral, less prone to rancid wheat germ (it uses bran) and equally fast to terment.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

MartinCash wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:51 pm
SomethingObscure wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am Don't want to be a pedantic a$$ but I'm sure teds fast fermenting vodka is and will never be tried and true.
[emoji15][emoji21]

It's essentially a variation of Deathwish Wheat Germ, which IS in Tried&True.

However I find TFFV to be easier to make, a bit more neutral, less prone to rancid wheat germ (it uses bran) and equally fast to terment.
+1 on all of the above. Regardless of whether it's T&T, it's my go-to for a good reliable neutral. I've made over 250l of it. :thumbup:
-- Rrmuf
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Also consider Googe’s Goo kale wash recipe for a very cheap and easy neutral.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time