Bourbon Question

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

allesgute
Novice

Bourbon Question

Post by allesgute »

Coming up with a bourbon recipe but realized I had some unaged whiskey laying around. Can I brew a 100% corn mash, distill it, and add it to that unaged whiskey and it would be legally bourbon (despite it being home distilled). Grain bill would essentially be 80% corn, just not made in a single mash.

Honestly I was going to do this and then a friend came up with the question and now it really has me thinking.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bourbon Question

Post by Deplorable »

You can do whatever you want, rules don't apply when you're breaking the rules anyway. 😉
If you're blending two distilled spirits to make a new spirit. It's technically a blended whiskey.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:47 am You can do whatever you want, rules don't apply when you're breaking the rules anyway. 😉
If you're blending two distilled spirits to make a new spirit. It's technically a blended whiskey.
True dat. It's your stuff.

Even on the up and up you can do whatever tickles your fancy. A buddy of mine loves his bourbon (he has 300+ bottles). He blended up a Poor Man's Pappy, and made a rather tasty concoction indeed.
PMP.JPG
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

If you are making "bourbon" at home in the US you are breaking a handful of rules. I wouldn't get to worried about the rules to call it "legal" bourbon. Think about it, if I age my bourbon in a brand new 5 gallon oak barrel for a year, is it bourbon or whiskey? I don't care what you call it as long as you like it and ask me for more.