Does anyone have an Aperol recipe?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Does anyone have an Aperol recipe?

Post by Metalking00 »

Hi everyone,
My girlfriend is from Venice and has been wanting to make her own aperol. Ive been searching for an aperol-like recipe for a while, but haven't found one yet. Does anyone have any recipes, please?

Thanks,
Chris
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Does anyone have an Aperol recipe?

Post by still_stirrin »

Metalking00 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:05 am.... Ive been searching for an aperol-like recipe ...
This search took me 3 seconds —> https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64237

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=27283

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 0#p7537096

Learn how to use the Google search tool. It is powerful.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

yes, I saw those, and also have looked through il liquoristo practico, which has lots of interesting recipes but no Aperol. While the first looks good for Campari, Im looking for something specifically like Aperol. The second seems to be someone also looking for an aperol recipe and not getting an answer, and the third while interesting isn't really an aperol recipe. As I said, Ive been looking for a while and haven't found an actual recipe for an Aperol-copycat.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There probably isn't a copycat to be found online, so be prepared to research the hell out of it to find out where to start in designing your own recipe.

Have you searched the web for tasting notes to find out what the ingredients may be?

Do you have access to herbs and roots from the Piedmont region of Northern Italy?
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

All if my girlfriends family and friends are in northern italy, so we can probably have one of them source ingredients that we cant find here. Ill also ask if she knows of anyone back home she can ask about recipes, as i think some of the older members of her family used to make wine and liqour.

Ive found a very incomplete ingredient list (rhubarb, cinchona, bitter orange, gentian, vanilla, nutmeg) as a starting point. Ill look into tasting notes and start doing more research. I think coming up with my own recipe would be a rewarding challenge.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I like challenges of this type, but I don't aim to replicate because that is damned near impossible, even you happen to be dating the owners daughter. I aim to make something similar and as enjoyable, if not better, using locally harvested and imported ingredients.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

If i was dating the owners daughter I dont think we’d have a shortage of aperol, but i like the girl ive got more than aperol anyway. Im sure it wont come out with the same flavor, but thats alright too. Ill start seeing what ingredients i can find around here and whatever i cant find her family can send or i can order online. Next time we’re in italy i think i may make a mission of collecting some ingredients “in the wild”, which is something i always found very satisfying when i was still living in the US.

In the meantime, if anyone has recommendations for herb and spice suppliers in the melbourne area that might have some more unusual stuff, thatd be very helpful.

If i come up with something good, ill let you guys know!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Herbal dispensaries, health food shops, garden centers & botanic gardens (grow your own), Ebay, Amazon...