Concentrated corn flavored/corn sugar wash

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BigJames
Novice

Concentrated corn flavored/corn sugar wash

Post by BigJames »

I’m trying a sugar head with corn sugar and concentrated corn flavoring. Added 10 lbs corn sugar and 1/4 cup 3x concentrated corn extract to 5 gallons of water. Using DAP for yeast nutrient and one 1 a day multi- vitamin with 2 tbsp of DADY. I’ll let y’all know how it turns out.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Re: Concentrated corn flavored/corn sugar wash

Post by Corn Cracker »

Mmmmm, corn
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

I had never heard of "concentrated corn extract" before so I Googled it. It seems the primary manufacturer is Amoretti so I dove deeper to find what it is and what it contains.

Here's one particular question/answer on Amazon:

Question:
So, when you say that the flavor comes from natural sweet corn flavor, does that mean it is a distillation of corn? Or, is there something else

Answer:
Hello,
This product is a natural flavor intended to give the flavor of sweet corn.
It does not contain any corn derivatives.

Sincerely,
Amoretti
By Valerie Reyes Manufacturer on September 25, 2018

... and here's another:

Question:
I just want to verify, there is no corn in this product, right?

Answer:
Hello,
Our Sweet Corn Extract contains Natural Sweet Corn flavor, no actual corn.
By Valerie Reyes Manufacturer on November 16, 2020

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
BigJames
Novice

Post by BigJames »

My extract came from “Nature’s Flavors “ the ingredients said it’s made from dextrose and natural flavors, so I don’t know what is exactly in it. But I’m running the wash today so I’ll let you know how it turns out. Wish me luck!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

" Natural flavours" covers a lot of ground ....it could be scent from the armpit of an Armidillo .....or similar.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Where flavoring extracts come from is a rabbit hole that may be best left alone. I recall reading about how vanilla flavoring was made, back in the early 1900s.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
BigJames
Novice

Post by BigJames »

So far it’s smells like corn and tastes like corn. I’m thinking that whatever they use they might have found a good combination. I’m gonna age some with white oak cubes and see what I get. Even if it sucks, I can still run it through the reflux column and make a decent neutral. I know that this will never replace the flavor of a good all grain recipe, I just saw the add for the flavor extract and thought I would give it a try
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I'm currently stripping down 3x6 gal buckets of cornmeal with Yellow Label Angel Yeast. Can't get much more "naturally" concentrated than that... No armadillo armpits here!!!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
BigJames
Novice

Post by BigJames »

RD let me know how the angel yeast works with the corn meal. Sounds like a great experiment. I just may have to order some angel yeast myself and give it a try
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

BigJames wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:51 am RD let me know how the angel yeast works with the corn meal. Sounds like a great experiment. I just may have to order some angel yeast myself and give it a try

Still working towards a spirit run, but the smell of the stripping jars is pretty nice!

FYI I have gumballheads brewing now. They're bubbling away nicely, so the yeast in the lees is still active!

Duck
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

BigJames wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:51 am RD let me know how the angel yeast works with the corn meal. Sounds like a great experiment. I just may have to order some angel yeast myself and give it a try
BJ, I did 3x6 gal/22L fermenters, each with 10 lbs/4.5 kg of yellow cornmeal (~$19 for 50 lb/22.6 kg bag @ Restaurant Store in U.S.). Stripped 7 gal/26L twice which resulted in ~12L @ 40%. Watered that down to 30% for a total volume ~4.2 gal/16L.

My pot still rig has 36" riser with 2 rolls of copper mesh & ended up with ~3.2L of hearts @ 80%, which when tempered down to 55% ended up with ~4.6L. I have 4L on medium oak spiral and keeping 0.6L as white dog for comparison.

Also ended up with ~3.2L of feints, which I might add to the gumball spirit run.

Never did an all-corn whiskey before, so very curious how this turns out in 6+ months!!! :thumbup:

Duck
BigJames
Novice

Post by BigJames »

Sounds very promising. I know my corn flavored sugar wash will not compare to that. I just got 25 lbs of white corn grits tha t I’m going to do a Booner’s Casual All Corn. I’ve had luck with that. I know I’m off subject here but I just love to experiment and see what I can make
BigJames
Novice

Post by BigJames »

I’m going to have to get some angel yeast and give that a try
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

BigJames wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:50 pm I’m going to have to get some angel yeast and give that a try
It may take a while to arrive, but once it does, it's like Xmas! Since arriving, I don't think I've done a regular mash-in process. Someone said on another thread it's like black magic or voodoo...

The frustrating part initially is that you can't take a staring gravity, which can cause some anxiety. But as you can see from the volumes resulting from the spirit run, the conversion rates are pretty dern good!

Good luck!
Duck
BigJames
Novice

Post by BigJames »

Thank you Duck for all the info. Can’t wait to give it a try!