Contaminated grains?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

30xs
Swill Maker

Contaminated grains?

Post by 30xs »

I did a UJSSM style wash using a mixture of grains.

50% corn
20% winter wheat
20% steam rolled barley
10% rolled oats

Everything fermented out nicely with no off smells. Once finished I opened the fermenter and the wash has a purplish tint to it. I let it set a couple months before getting to it and it still has the color. Loaded up the boiler this morning and what I believe is the wheat berries (everything was ground) have a purple color to them. Is this normal? The feed store I purchased them from had said they weren’t treated, but starting to question that. I’ll attach a few photos.
524E4257-2166-47F4-A7D7-8542AAAE3963.jpeg
3332956A-4D88-45C2-BA0F-4C12C4A53A0D.jpeg
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Contaminated grains?

Post by greggn »

30xs wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:48 am Once finished I opened the fermenter and the wash has a purplish tint to it. I let it set a couple months before getting to it and it still has the color. Loaded up the boiler this morning and what I believe is the wheat berries (everything was ground) have a purple color to them. Is this normal?

Winter wheat comes in both white and red varieties ... looks like you're using hard red. If the yeast fermented normally then it's unlikely the berries were treated with anything harmful.

I vote: run it.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive never seen UJ wash that colour except when I put LME in it...all other times and grain mixes it settles / clears to a golden colour.
greggn wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:20 am and red varieties
Edit...so thats what you guys call "Red Wheat"....I always wondered if it was really red.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:26 am Edit...so thats what you guys call "Red Wheat"....I always wondered if it was really red.

I suspect "Red" was coined by the Marketing Dept as is sounds better than "Rust" (which I would consider a more accurate description).

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bloody Butcher......
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

greggn wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:20 am
30xs wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:48 am Once finished I opened the fermenter and the wash has a purplish tint to it. I let it set a couple months before getting to it and it still has the color. Loaded up the boiler this morning and what I believe is the wheat berries (everything was ground) have a purple color to them. Is this normal?

Winter wheat comes in both white and red varieties ... looks like you're using hard red. If the yeast fermented normally then it's unlikely the berries were treated with anything harmful.

I vote: run it.
It’s dripping off the heads now. I was hoping that it wasn’t totally lost. Preliminary aromas have promise.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Either I have sampled too much, in small increments, or this recipe seems to be amazing. I’m running 4 plates. Third pint diluted had no burn, and a creamy mouth feel that lingered. Pint fourteen has a very slight tailsy burn but good flavor and still creamy. The boiler was loaded to 24 gallon. I’m having trouble managing output. It will run and load all plates for a bit then lose the bottom plate and output stops. Running around 25-27 minutes per pint from a plated column, but straight off the pipe, diluted of course, this stuff is the best I’ve made so far.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

LWTCS wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:39 am Bloody Butcher......
No bloody butcher, yellow dent. Every other grain other than the wheat I’ve used in the past with a pale yellow finish. It has to be the wheat, but it’s not red out of the sack?
CFA77188-38BC-4659-8A33-5808B21F6F86.jpeg

I cracked one and isolated it off to the side.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I have nothing helpful to add, but I'd not be able to resist munching on the handful of wheat.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

30xs wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:54 am It will run and load all plates for a bit then lose the bottom plate and output stops.
My No 1 guess is you have hit tails if the bottom plate is drying up.

No 2 Guess, not enough heat or reflux the the dephlaglamator, one the other or both.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

It’s the first run with the new controller box, dual elements. For the go I started at about 25% on each element. That would be approximately 2750 watts. It’s would load, output spurt, steady trickle, and then dribble off to nothing as the bottom plate unloaded. Then it would reload the plates and repeat. I may have resend to up the heat, but I was really excited about what was coming off so I decided to live with the fluctuation as long as I could keep the tails out. Still a bit of a rookie, but happy with my results today.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:36 am I have nothing helpful to add, but I'd not be able to resist munching on the handful of wheat.
You are in good company.

Jesus munched on the wheat.

Geoff
The Baker