Molasses question Sweet'n glo molasses

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Molasses question Sweet'n glo molasses

Post by RockinRockies »

My local feed store has this product available for significantly less than I've paid for golden barrel due to shipping. Shipping was $42 for 2 5 gallon pails. $130 for ten gallons ain't cutting it price wise.

I've HD searched with multiple different word selections, and searched online, with little information.

I'm assuming this would not make a quality rum but was hoping to get some input. Thoughts?

Looks like a bunch of extra crap and I'm unsure about overcoming those preservatives.

What potential off flavors?
What's up with the fat profile?
For $30 though I'd save a ton of money although I assume I'll sacrifice too much in end product quality
Screenshot_20210622-145039.png
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Re: Molasses question Sweet'n glo molasses

Post by Rum Agol »

I use horse feed molasses but it only contains pure cane molasses - this product is a mixture of molasses and vegetable oil as well as artificial flavours and preservatives. I wouldnt recommend you use it for your wash.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I wouldnt use it either....the fact that its only 35% sugars indicates its full of stuff you dont want.
I use plan stock feed mollases from a rural supply store... but it has no junk in it... just pure mollases.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Tractor Supply or any feed store will have feed molasses. Evolved Habitats is a good brand, around 85 Brix and will set you back around $7 a gallon.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:41 pm Tractor Supply or any feed store will have feed molasses. Evolved Habitats is a good brand, around 85 Brix and will set you back around $7 a gallon.
That price is in my wheelhouse.
Thanks for the input. I figured as much.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:41 pm Tractor Supply or any feed store will have feed molasses. Evolved Habitats is a good brand, around 85 Brix and will set you back around $7 a gallon.
$16/gal for the same item on Amazon.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

RockinRockies wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm
That price is in my wheelhouse.
Thanks for the input. I figured as much.
Welcome. FYI: My local WalMart recently started carrying panela sugar for $1.12 a pound. Don’t know how long they will keep it so I’ve built up a stockpile. 8# of panela & a gallon of TSC molasses will make an 8G wash and a little over 1/2 gallon of tasty hearts for aging. All panela (14# in 8G) by itself is great too. I’m aging some on toasted French oak.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 pm
$16/gal for the same item on Amazon.
Tractor supply will deliver to store with no shipping charges. Just about $79 for 10 gallons.
That's 125 lbs
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

BTW, I appreciate all the input. I'm glad I was able to put this in the headline to get a solid no, in case any other folks are interested