Bloody Butcher Recipes

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bloody Butcher Recipes

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I just ordered 100# of Bloody Butcher whole corn. Interested in any recipes or experiences folks may have. Not sure exactly what I’ll do with it yet but since it’s a premium and somewhat boutique grade of corn I’m interested in a similar approach on other grain contributions - Oats, Wheats, specialty malts (honey/caramel/chocolate?), Barleys, maybe a touch of rye??. I reckon two or three different medium/large batch mashes and a new first use barrel as well are gonna be in my future. I’ll probably keep a little clean white on the top shelf too and a sugarhead to mop up - gonna take a minute.

What have folks done with the bloody and what might you do different next time?

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bloody Butcher Recipes

Post by Windy City »

I just ordered 220 pounds of this. I plan on making a bourbon of 70% bloody butcher 25 % malted white wheat and 5% Carmel 40.
I was curious as how others have mashed this. I was planning on my regular protocol of high temperature 185f with added enzymes to gelatinisise the corn then crash to 145f for the wheat and barley. I would then finish off with US-05
How are you going to run it?
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I bought a few bags a few years back. Had never done a whiskey prior. Here's my posting on it. I struggled with good mashing technique and had poor conversion. I will also say I thought my the mash smell was a bit putrid. But It made good bourbon. Still have a couple of gallons aging in my barrel.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=74733
Bloody Butcher Bourbon posting.jpg
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Hey Johnnys
Is your bloody butcher malted.
The 220 pounds I have being shipped to me is all malted.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Bey Windy, Mines not malted. Where’d you get that?
————
————
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

A distillery in Missouri makes a 100% Bloody butcher corn whiskey. If I remember correctly Bloody butcher has a bit of rye character to it, spice and such not much mint as recall.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Not speaking from personal experience, but I've heard that some of the heirloom varieties can have fairly strong flavors. I suppose if it does, it would be easy enough to blend it with other corn whiskies to get to something you like.

Can't wait to hear about your results.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Windy City wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:02 pm I just ordered 220 pounds of this. I plan on making a bourbon of 70% bloody butcher 25 % malted white wheat and 5% Carmel 40.
I was curious as how others have mashed this. I was planning on my regular protocol of high temperature 185f with added enzymes to gelatinisise the corn then crash to 145f for the wheat and barley. I would then finish off with US-05
How are you going to run it?
I am bumping this to see if anybody had any experience with this.
The Bloody Butcher is malted but I have read others didn't have great conversion with malted corn and that is why I was going to follow my normal high temp protocol.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I ordered unmalted but might check out malted next time or maybe some toasting on these. Let’s see how long it takes me to get through this lol. Hopefully before the weevils show up!

2x 45lbs sacks of bloody butcher unmalted.
ECD78B54-44D0-40CB-B626-72446B300EC0.jpeg
4C0F1321-F2AC-4114-8723-3F0F92764D3F.jpeg
D4AEFE75-DC00-4E4F-8FDD-49845E5B188B.jpeg
————
————
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Weevils are little bastards that taste exactly like the corn. Run them…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Once they run through the grinder gunna be some Bloody Boll Weevil!
————
————
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

A2BCBAB0-990B-4386-A032-24654CB17BBB.jpeg
First sack is going towards a honey bear style with a hint of rye and oats since i’ve got the other malts. That’ll provide feints and backset for second bag plus some other malts.
————
————
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

D0F734B6-C6DD-4A21-B91C-C020E1904A5B.jpeg
Just turned 170# of this into flour.
It’s in the kettle right now for about an hour mashing at 190 with SeBrew HT. 2 more hours and I will crash to 145f and add the rest of my grains
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Wow that’s quite a mash!

This one wrapped with 45# corn, 13# oats, 2# rye, 10# honey malt and HTL @ 180*F. 30# wheat and barley ground and ready once it drops to 150. Might take a minute lol. I don’t have a chiller. Oh well..
4A16D922-DFDD-4DED-84BA-35564134C45A.jpeg
————
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:04 pm Wow that’s quite a mash!

This one wrapped with 45# corn, 13# oats, 2# rye, 10# honey malt and HTL @ 180*F. 30# wheat and barley ground and ready once it drops to 150. Might take a minute lol. I don’t have a chiller. Oh well..

4A16D922-DFDD-4DED-84BA-35564134C45A.jpeg
That looks so cozy and warm. Do you have anything under the reflectix? Looks like there might be a blanket or something between the barrel and the reflectix layer.
Man, I'm looking forward to fall and mashing some whiskey.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

It’s just a couple layers of reflectix doubled over. I do want to cut up a packing blanket to make a jacket liner inner/outer with reflectix in the middle for my various boiler and riser parts. Feels like reflectix might melt on copper as temps climb towards 212F. Looks like other folks have reflectix direct on copper/stainless tho?
————
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:42 pm It’s just a couple layers of reflectix doubled over. I do want to cut up a packing blanket to make a jacket liner inner/outer with reflectix in the middle for my various boiler and riser parts. Feels like reflectix might melt on copper as temps climb towards 212F. Looks like other folks have reflectix direct on copper/stainless tho?
I've got a double layer reflectix blanket for my 13 gallon milk can boiler. I really only use it for boiling water for mashing, but its holding up well with an internal element. I obviously wouldn't use it over a gas burner. Honestly, it only saves me about 8 minutes on heat up.
My fermenter barrel gets a wrap of reflectix, my old Army blanket, then a sleeping bag when Im mashing. depending on on the temps, I add or remove layers for fermentation. It sits on a base like yours with an electric heating pad underneath it, plugged into an inkbird. Works pretty dang good now that I've used it a few times and figured out when to add or remove layers.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I crashed to 145f and added 60# malted white wheat and 13# Cara 45.
Added 500 ml SeBSuper, 250 grams citric acid 250 grams gypsum and 500 grams calcium carbonate.
Held at 145f for two hours then crashed to 72f added 20 ml fermcap S, 280 grams US-05 and aerated for 30 minutes. Mixer was at 40 rpm during entire mash and down to 20 rpm for fermenting. Total water was 360 liters.
SG 1.082 PH 5.2
Bubbling away nicely at 72f
The grain was tasty raw. My wife helped me mill it and noticed how you could actually chew whole kernels easily without breaking teeth, being that it was malted. It had a nice corn, nutty flavor.
Plan on running this through two plates (bubble cap) and using a new barrel to age as a true bourbon. Going to have to wait two to three years for bottling but am pretty happy with the wort flavor. This should turn out nice.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice Windy! I’m jealous and just ordered a 1/2”x50’ chiller coil I can extend out the top of one of these barrels, an inkbird wifi heat/cool controller, and a couple heating pads so I can get my fermentation temps under better control and turn mashes around quicker with better infection resistance.

I like using less yeast and making a starter a day or so before pitching. On this one i used a cup or corn and malts plus enzymes and mashed it stovetop. A couple packs of bakers and a Safeale 04 or whatever it was in the fridge. Almost to pitching temp with a fan and open top plus mixing.
C4A6EDE4-0798-491E-B633-1E2121653587.jpeg
————
————
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

I've just finished a 50 pound bag of Bloody Butcher, making pure corn likker and honey bear. Like Detroit DIY, I found that it isn't quite as high in sugar as the usual yellow dent corn, so the gravity was a bit lower. At the same time, it seemed quite a bit oilier than yellow dent, so it will definitely cloud up on you if you proof it too far down.

The product definitely has a distinctive flavor -- just as soon as my source gets more in, I reckon I'll buy two bags!
qui bene bibit est beatus
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

All I can say is that my basement smells phenomenal.
The smell and taste of this wort is telling me this is going to be something special.
I will keep you advised. :D :D :D
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Nice :thumbup: would be interested to hear what you think of it white also..love the spicey grassy un oaked white corn whiskey. I think even more so then aged.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

The Bloody Honey Bear is looking pretty good and down to 1.000’ish in three days. Gonna let this settle for the next week or so then siphon off, top up with water, settle/siphon- then do a sugarhead on the spend grains. May mash a little more oats and some fresh honey or cara malt for the sugarhead before figuring out next batch. I can strip before/after work so this should all turn into low wines pretty quick but I reckon I have some likker cooking in my near future.

Cheers!
J
99D0BC35-04EC-4745-B940-5177690EF201.jpeg
649515DC-B7CA-46B9-AD5B-11A3DD202094.jpeg
————
————
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

I made a wheat/rye bourbon with yellow and then red corn as a side by side, and I never noticed much difference, until a few months on oak. The red is much better IMO, the yellow seems to have taken on this odd. . sweet, oaky maybe tobacco smell, that the red has not. Could just be how things shook out but I tried to keep all other variables identical.

So what I'm saying is, try aging any of your Bloody Butcher and see if that helps make more of a difference in the end, from using a yellow.

Would like to try a blue at some point, a micro distillery near me just did a blue corn vodka. Also came across some Green heritage corn earlier this year.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I ordered 25# each of azure blue hopi and white dent so next batch will incorporate a red white and blue all american whiskey theme.

The bloody-bear feints and backset will segue nicely into that one and expect a good amount of clean white for sipping while these rest up.

More to follow!
————
————
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

84B85256-817F-4163-89B1-0B8CF4A9DEAE.jpeg
Stripping cloudy today but love the rich golden color as sediment drops.
————
————
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

D86EECE1-72CA-4166-88F4-D04A78346B85.jpeg
C2B778DF-3122-46D2-B765-7A012A8F4951.jpeg
Busy weekend in the shed! Stripped estimated 11.5 gallons of the bloody bear with a hint of rye to about 210*F (just under 30%abv) and reserved 3 gallons of fresh wash for the spirit run. Estimated just under 15 gallons total charge.

5 gallons backset + 10# mashed quick oats + 50# sugar for the sugarhead pitched onto the slurry, topped up w/H20 and she’s off.

5gallons bloody bear backset and feints are going next towards a bloody butcher/azure hopi maize/white dent corn + oat malt & wheat + cara malt - all in stock or on order. About 150# grain total so hope that’s going to fill a barrel. I might shoot for 25# more of something interesting to make it a double large batch.
————
————
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

96E8C715-575D-4B13-9F11-4C362FB39310.jpeg
3DA6B122-7519-4C9B-97CA-A50352172A40.jpeg
25# each of these plus 45# bloody butcher for the red white and blue all american bourbon.

More notes later when the malts and specialty grains arrive.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:50 pm 96E8C715-575D-4B13-9F11-4C362FB39310.jpeg
3DA6B122-7519-4C9B-97CA-A50352172A40.jpeg

25# each of these plus 45# bloody butcher for the red white and blue all american bourbon.

More notes later when the malts and specialty grains arrive.

Cheers!
-j
Did you happen to catch this from the Bearded channel? I “stole” an apple pie recipe from his channel and it kicks ass.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine