watermelon wine foamed up terrible and gooey!

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

partonken
Bootlegger

watermelon wine foamed up terrible and gooey!

Post by partonken »

I started a Watermelon wine last week but one night it started foam over and i lost 80 percent of the wine. The wine was also gooey. Im wondering if i got a bad bacteria because i didnt sterilize the sugar before adding it too the fermentor. Any ideas.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: watermelon wine foamed up terrible and gooey!

Post by Stonecutter »

Boiling the sugar would “sterilize” it I suppose but I’ve never run into an infection while just dumping sugar into a wash. Recipe? OG? I don’t know of an infection that would cause a massive foam over but I’m also not super familiar with infections. How much head room did you leave? Have you made this type of wine before?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Probably a bacteria on the watermelon. There’s at least one that can turn a wash into snot.
partonken
Bootlegger

Post by partonken »

Ive done many before but never had a problem. Gravity was 1.09. I will use 20% watermelon dunder next time to bring the PH down so as to scare off any bacteria and i will add sugar into this very hot dunder to sterilize the sugar. Hopefuly this helps.