Apple Pie

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JOBRLA
Novice

Apple Pie

Post by JOBRLA »

Have never gotten into adding flavors to my whiskey. If one was trying to make a apple pie, would a simple sugar wash do?
Is there a need/requirement to do a more flavorful mash instead? Don't want to use all my grains at this point due to had to come by. Just a thought :crazy:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Apple Pie

Post by still_stirrin »

Make whiskey. Let the guys who only make sugar washes make apple pie. Focus on what you’re good at, not what others can do.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

I just got hollered at because I had a party at the house and no Apple Pie. My recipe is pretty simple and I use a neutral like Birdwatchers.

1 Gallon Apple Juice
1 Gallon Apple Cider
Handful of cloves
Handful of cinnamon sticks
About a cup of Honey
Boil this for 5- 10 minutes

Let cool to room temp and ad your neutral. How much depends on taste and how strong you want. My BW is around 70% so I will add three quarts to the above recipe.
JOBRLA
Novice

Post by JOBRLA »

ha ha lo @ SS. I know but son has been hounding for me to make some. I really don't care too but was just wondering what kind of product to use if I did.
Thanks for the receipt IMALOOSER
stogie
Novice

Post by stogie »

I have made the same recipe as .....loser's..... (used light brown sugar in place of honey, but.......). The recipe called for 2-Tablespoons of cloves and I found this to be way too much. The clove's overwhelmed everything! I would recommend 1/2 Tablespoon to start.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

stogie wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:50 pm I have made the same recipe as .....loser's..... (used light brown sugar in place of honey, but.......). The recipe called for 2-Tablespoons of cloves and I found this to be way too much. The clove's overwhelmed everything! I would recommend 1/2 Tablespoon to start.
Funny.

I would use clove “spikes”, not powdered cloves.

Same for cinnamon. Use the wood/bark sticks instead of powdered spice.

In fact, this is a good “general rule” for any spice. For example, if you use ginger in a gin, use fresh grated ginger, not the candied ginger from the spice counter. You’ll appreciate it.

And if you want to make your “apple pie” special (so you won’t get hollered at, use fresh apples and press the juice yourself. That way your “sweat” will make it truly unique!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

JOBRLA wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:32 am If one was trying to make a apple pie, would a simple sugar wash do?
Yes that makes a great base for Apple Pie.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:50 pm That way your “sweat” will make it truly unique!
One gallon cider
Spices to taste
Neutral to taste
Sweetener (sugar, honey, mole-asses) to taste
2 tbsp sweat (or a dash of salt to taste if you're squeamish)!

Love it!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

This is the only way I’ve made my apple pie and every time it comes out delicious. It’s really close to what Johnny suggested with a recipe for the spices. Super easy and delicious.
:Edit: I actually have some apple juice no extra sugar added in the fermenter right now. Should turn out great with a little less yield.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Now that I’ve actually read what Jonny posted it’s nothing like that. Carry on
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I use uncut neutral. Dilute by volume to 35 or 40%.
1/2 gallon each of cider and juice
Cinnamon sticks
Brown sugar
Fresh course ground nutmeg
Boil everything but the alcohol for 5 minutes, cool to room temperature.
Add the appropriate amount of neutral to each jar and top off with the juice. I make it in pint jars, so I calculate dilution bases on making a pint of 40% from whatever my neutral ABV is.
Seal the jars and stash them away for as long as you can. I already made my apple pie and peach pie for this Christmas last month, and stashed them away to get happy.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:56 pm Now that I’ve actually read what Jonny posted it’s nothing like that. Carry on
Lol now that’s funny! I was watching the video waiting for the drops of sweat to sneak in while pressing apples.

Deplorable, uncut neutral? Huh. Might as well give em a headache with all that sweet likker anyway I guess? Makes the imbibers uninhibited, wild, crazy, and enjoying life to the fullest - at least for a few hours?
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I found corn flake whiskey in the white makes a good base for apple pie. Quick, easy to make and adds a little corn flavor. If in a hurry, Tito’s is a decent substitute.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 pm
Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:56 pm Now that I’ve actually read what Jonny posted it’s nothing like that. Carry on
Lol now that’s funny! I was watching the video waiting for the drops of sweat to sneak in while pressing apples.

Deplorable, uncut neutral? Huh. Might as well give em a headache with all that sweet likker anyway I guess? Makes the imbibers uninhibited, wild, crazy, and enjoying life to the fullest - at least for a few hours?
To be clear, I should have said untempered neutral. e.g 95%. Of course I make cuts. lol
200ml of 95% in a pint jar and fill with the juice mixture to make a pint of 40% apple pie.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I wouldn't use TPW. There are great sugar wash methods using grain, which is a better match. A sugar head after an AG or UJSSM can produce a lightly flavored spirit that is very suitable for many grain based likkers.
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

50 % Apple juice, 50% shine
Add half cup of brown sugar to heated apple juice
pumpkin pie spice
cinnamon
vanilla extract

This tastes really good, people love it
There's no place like home
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I make mine with a little higher proof and use a neutral. A lot of time it is made from a combination of saved feints so probably not from a sugar wash as I very seldom do sugar washes these days. But I believe my first attempts years ago were probably sugar wash and they were also good in my estimation.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I use honeycrisp apples panty dropper style…using brown sugar to pull out the juice. Proof down with apple juice or cider, adding sugar as needed. Finish with a vanilla bean and cinnamon stick.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..