Single Malt and a little Dextrose for a kick(?)

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tiramisu
Swill Maker

Single Malt and a little Dextrose for a kick(?)

Post by tiramisu »

I'm thinking of ordering a 55lb bag of 2-row malt and a 55lb bag of dextrose from the local brew shop. Yes I know I can get sugar at the grocery store but it's convenient to do a single order and local delivery is free.

A simply single malt. No real attempt at a recipe.
Looking for an easy approachable drink on this one.
image.png
My thinking is to make an uncomplicated unpeated Irish style whiskey and put it in a Badmo style keg or a proper keg if I can come up with the $. Is this likely to get me something pleasant or will it end up being too uncomplicated if you know what I mean?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Single Malt and a little Dextrose for a kick(?)

Post by OtisT »

Just my opinion, but if you are going to all the trouble to lay down a full (Badmo) barrel of spirits, I would ditch the sugar and stick with an all grain spirit. You just need some good wood for it to age on.

I made a single malt with 2-row and after time on some good oak it turned out just fine. Want something a bit more, look at adding some wheat or rye or other specialty grains.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

OtisT wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:12 pm Just my opinion, but if you are going to all the trouble to lay down a full (Badmo) barrel of spirits, I would ditch the sugar and stick with an all grain spirit. You just need some good wood for it to age on.

I made a single malt with 2-row and after time on some good oak it turned out just fine. Want something a bit more, look at adding some wheat or rye or other specialty grains.

Otis
+1 What Otis said.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

If you have 50 pounds of malt you don’t need any sugar.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

The dextrose would just be to top up the alcohol percentage to 12-14 in the mash.
Nice to get more from a batch if it doesn't negatively impact the flavor.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

tiramisu wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:59 am Nice to get more from a batch if it doesn't negatively impact the flavor.
Exactly! Which is why I recommended ditching the sugar.

I have not added sugar myself to a grain ferment for several years now, and I stopped because I could tell the difference between the two styles. Just my preference. You do you.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

OtisT wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:35 pm
tiramisu wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:59 am Nice to get more from a batch if it doesn't negatively impact the flavor.
Exactly! Which is why I recommended ditching the sugar.

I have not added sugar myself to a grain ferment for several years now, and I stopped because I could tell the difference between the two styles. Just my preference. You do you.

Otis
Thanks for the feedback. I am more than happy to learn from other people and appreciate hearing that some fool idea that everyone else has already tried isn't going to work. Saves me a bunch of wasted silliness. I have learned a lot reading for the last few years but nothing beats actual experience. I recently watched a wonderfully produced pumpkin whiskey recipe video that was a lot like watching a cooking show. Not that long ago I would not have realized it was more of an April fool's joke than a grain bill. Looking forward to having some barrels aging and playing with spirits while I wait. Limoncello for New Year's is still the plan. If I can get my electrical sorted in November/December I should finally be ready to fire it up.