Mashing Sweet feed almost "all grain"

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Mashing Sweet feed almost "all grain"

Post by RockinRockies »

This recipe is absolutely delicious, so I hope someone attempts it.

This is for a 30 gallon ferment to end up with a 24 gallon boiler charge at 10%.

Ingredient list:
1 gallon blackstrap molasses
36 lb triple milled cracked corn
12 lb feed oats
12 lb steam rolled barley
15 lb sugar
22 ml High temp alpha amalayse
22 ml Gluco amalayse
pH water to 7 before boiling
Bread yeast and DADY 50/50
Citric acid

Recipe:

pH water to 7 and fill large fermenter with 20 gallons boiling water to milled corn. Cover, wrap, and Let gel similar to Booners casual. Meanwhile boil your other 10 gallons unless you have a big enough boiler to do it all in one shot. Add that on to the corn as soon as you get it to boil so that you can keep the temp at 180F for at least 2 or 3 hours. I purchased an insulated adjustable barrel warmer that goes up to 195F so I don't have to worry about it, for most folks don't want to spend that kind of money. $380 from the Cary company.

After the corn is fully gelled at your high temp alpha and start to stir. Let it cool down to 155 F and add your oats and barley. I don't like adding the barley above 155 even if it's steamrolled because I find it provides a very unpleasant astringency, almost like licking cardboard, on the middle to back of the tongue at the back end of your drink. I hold it at 150 for 2 hours after adding the grain.

I add my gluco at 140F after I add just 1/2tsp citric acid based on the gluco that I have.
I leave the top open and let it cool overnight.

Once it starts fermenting the next day when I add my yeast after I've taken my hydrometer reading and starch test, I typically end up at 7.5% ABV. I like even numbers so because it's not technically All grain because of the molasses, I decided that it's worth inverting the sugar and bringing it to 10%. So I had a half pound of sugar per gallon which is about 12-15 lb.
I had citric acid I boil it at a medium boil for 20 minutes and then I add it once it cools down the next day to the mash.

I make what I consider tight cuts and end up with usually 2.5 gallons @ 90 proof. Run through 5 plates, bottom plate bubble plate, rest packed with scrubbers. Pull at 89% for most of the run.

This gets put into a used 5 gallon barrel and is my drinking stock so I pull off of it and just use the barrel for storage and refill it like a solera.

I've done the tried and true recipes of booners which is very one-dimensional but delicious like a hot buttery popcorn or jelly belly popcorn jelly beans.
I've done traditional Sweet feed
I've made brandies
I've done a bunch of different Bourbon recipes
And I've done my own scotch-style recipes.

As far as I'm concerned this is far superior to the standard tried and true SF recipe, because you get more of the grain profile and almost insignificant sugar head profile. However, it is substantially more work and I think that's why it's worth it if you're willing to put in the effort.

I've often contemplated taking slightly wider cuts and throw it into a 15 gallon used barrel for 3 years to see what happens.

In my estimation the beauty of this recipe is if you have succeeded at booners, it's not that much more work to make a significantly more robust whiskey (with in my estimation not too much extra effort). The only problem I have is the darn mop ringer when I'm trying to ring out all the alcohol I can get from the grain.

I always get subtle chocolate notes on the nose and early palate. Raisins, and the earthy grain profile. Basically the T&T but more grain forward and costly considerably less sugar head bite and sweetness
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mashing Sweet feed almost "all grain"

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Thanks for the idea Chief! Next anti-sugarhead-plus I do I'm using panela bricks and a few mole-asses along with some specialty grain and a small mash-up of starchy grains to refill the fermenter on top of some manky ass spent bourbon mash-slop for the rat-bastards-rumsky-bourbon-blend ... Guess i'll need to start saving backset-dunder and feints for that too and keep it's own never ending barrel topped up...?

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Not sure why you needed to respond like that. I made a recipe that has very little added sugar and makes a better drop in my estimation than the traditional sugarhead, with the benefit of sugarhead productuon

There was no need to that rude
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Sorry man not being rude. I'm being serious and will make it lol. Just taking it next level and using panela instead of straight sugar and on top of manky spect grains.

Thanks again for the idea.

Cheers,
jonny
————
————
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:10 am Sorry man not being rude. I'm being serious and will make it lol. Just taking it next level and using panela instead of straight sugar and on top of manky spect grains.

Thanks again for the idea.

Cheers,
jonny
My bad, I thought you were making fun of me. I misunderstood. If it wasn't for the molasses I wouldn't have attempted this recipe with sugar, but I'm glad I did
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

lol I'm making fun of everyone but only in the best spirit and still like the idea of bastardized sweet feed approach :)

Cheers,
j
————
————
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:44 am lol I'm making fun of everyone but only in the best spirit and still like the idea of bastardized sweet feed approach :)

Cheers,
j
Right on. I think you'll be surprised how good it is
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I'm finishing up squeezing & stripping a pseudo bourbon sugarhead today and am going to need about 4 gallons of top up for the spirit run so think i'll break up some panela chunks into some hot backset and pitch it onto a bit of the slop and a little grain bed left over to ferment out this week and use it for top up on the spirit run.. Four gallons tells me about 8# sugar so I'll just go with 8-10# panela and see how it goes. Should be running it next weekend if it ferments out! I reckon about 32-48# worth of panela or equivalent molasses into my next regular second use of AG spent mash will contribute a bit more flavor so I might try both :)

Cheers and thanks RR!
jonny
————
————
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Heck yeah!
I got to find out where to get Panela cuz I want to try that stuff but I'm paying even with shipping cheapest I can get is $11 a gallon for black strap molasses
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

$5 for 2# delivered. I had 16# sitting in the pantry so why not give it a try on this contributing to the spirit run as a 1.5. Could probably get it cheaper though in bulk maybe.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

I'll have to do some research on how many pounds of panela it takes to be the equivalent of molasses, but that's way cheaper
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Look for a Mexican grocer (there Are plenty in denver). They will have panella bricks and it should be inexpensive
:)
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Most all bodegas carry panela
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hey RR, I ran this weekend and will def do it again topping up second ferment with a small mash + panella and/or molasses instead of sugar or maybe even cut with some sugar so as not to get too rummy on this blend.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Oh nice yeah I'm definitely interested in trying panella. can you tell me the difference in flavor profile?

I gather it's much lighter in the richness and fullness that molasses brings
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

UPDATE:
I made a critical error in the flavor profile. This is coming across to me is way too corn heavy and I went back and looked at the traditional cob bags.
They are 1/3 each.

My next bash will be 1/3 of these ingredients instead of that much corn
Swamptrout
Novice

Post by Swamptrout »

I recently did a similar mash as we dont have sweet feed in Australia that i am aware of, I didnt add any sugar. I used angel yeast and bumped the grain up.

10gal water
10lbs each of oats, corn, barley
0.5gal feed molasses
70g yeast
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Swamptrout wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:56 pm I recently did a similar mash as we dont have sweet feed in Australia that i am aware of, I didnt add any sugar. I used angel yeast and bumped the grain up.

10gal water
10lbs each of oats, corn, barley
0.5gal feed molasses
70g yeast
Interesting. I'm excited to hear your results
GPBrewer
Novice

Post by GPBrewer »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:31 am
GPBrewer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:24 am getting as much of the sugar out of the grain as is reasonable without milling/mashing/etc.
not much sugar will be extracted in my limited experience without milling AND mashing. And mixed grains like sweetfeed are not the best for mashing IMO.... it is always worth playing around with tho as that is how to learn

but as mentioned earlier in this thread, it's really nothing to do with this recipe so I'll leave it at that :ebiggrin:

Ah, good point. I quoted you here since this seems to be the thread I am looking for (and maybe you too?)

I think I will try this recipe as written here after the holidaze wears off.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

GPBrewer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:44 am
squigglefunk wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:31 am
GPBrewer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:24 am getting as much of the sugar out of the grain as is reasonable without milling/mashing/etc.
not much sugar will be extracted in my limited experience without milling AND mashing. And mixed grains like sweetfeed are not the best for mashing IMO.... it is always worth playing around with tho as that is how to learn

but as mentioned earlier in this thread, it's really nothing to do with this recipe so I'll leave it at that :ebiggrin:

Ah, good point. I quoted you here since this seems to be the thread I am looking for (and maybe you too?)

I think I will try this recipe as written here after the holidaze wears off.
it seems like a decent recipe to me, maybe a little higher SG than I aim for but nothing extreme... triple milled cracked corn is a lot of work for sure to do yourself, I am able to get "fine cracked corn" from my local feed mill for exactly the same price as regular cracked and it is in very small 1-2MM sized pieces. IT might benefit from additional milling but works a lot better than the reg right out of the bag.