Non-Diastatic Corn Malt Blend

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Gonzo_distills
Novice

Non-Diastatic Corn Malt Blend

Post by Gonzo_distills »

Would you use this if it made sense financially?

I was at my friend’s bakery picking up some sourdough bread when I saw a bucket of this stuff and :think: I wondered if anyone else had ever fooled with it. They use it in the bagel recipe at the bakery, FYI.
39D529F3-E30C-4F59-812B-40E8599069FD.jpeg
Maintain a continuous ground at all times!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Non-Diastatic Corn Malt Blend

Post by Demy »

It seems to be corn syrup and malt extract ..... you could try, from what I read you should not need to convert the starches
Gonzo_distills
Novice

Post by Gonzo_distills »

Demy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:40 am It seems to be corn syrup and malt extract ..... you could try, from what I read you should not need to convert the starches
I didn’t think so but I wanted to drop it here to get some opinions. I will order a bucket next week and check back in in a few weeks.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

the Non-diastatic nomenclature really seems to point to not converting starches?
Gonzo_distills
Novice

Post by Gonzo_distills »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:51 am the Non-diastatic nomenclature really seems to point to not converting starches?
Hmmmm. Now I feel like I should go scoop some out of the bucket and do a starch test :think: .
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Just because its non-diastatic doesn't mean it isn't converted, more likely it is. Probably converted then boiled down, losing the diastatic power. And if it isn't you could convert it yourself, it would be easy enough to heat it up and add some malt or enzymes. Doesn't seem to have any preservatives that would stall ferment. What would your cost on it be? Would be worth trying! Who knows what the ratios are, but could be that you just add some malted rye or wheat and do a simple mash and have the worlds easiest bourbon :)
:)
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Gonzo_distills wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:14 am Hmmmm. Now I feel like I should go scoop some out of the bucket and do a starch test :think: .
sounds like its a corn syrup and malt blend which shouldn't have too much starch in it ?

sorry I meant it would not convert other starches present in the wash... whatever it is that you're making here

diastatic malts are what are used to convert starches into sugars, I believe?

so a non-diastatic malt will add sugar and flavor but no enzymes to help with conversion?

dunno maybe it tastes really good tho
Gonzo_distills
Novice

Post by Gonzo_distills »

I would describe the taste as a cross between really clean corn syrup and very light molasses. No starches in the starch test. I swiped a bucket with a pint or so of remnants. I am going to follow Winoes plain ole sugar wash instructions and compare it to a large batch I currently have working. I will pop a hole for an airlock in the lid and use the bucket the remnants came it as my fermenter. I’ll pop it in the air still next week and see how she tastes side by side with an equal amount of mash from my big fermenter of sugar wash. Not super scientific but it should be enough to decide if I want to fool with a large batch.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Sounds like a good plan, post the outcomes!
:)