Easy sugar shine with napa cabbage Aka vegan organic vodka

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SGB
Swill Maker

Easy sugar shine with napa cabbage Aka vegan organic vodka

Post by SGB »

In my quest for simplicity and usage of all natural ingredients with added fillers. Ingredients are easily multiplied so for every kilo of sugar :
1kg sugar
10g bakers yeast
100g chopped napa cabbage
6litre water

Boil 1/3 amount water, add sugar, stir, add chopped napa cabbage, stir, add 2/3 cold water, stir, activate yeast, stir,
Cover and at 25-30• C takes about 7 days to finish
SG for this water/sugar ratio is apx 1.060 FG. 990

I've done hundreds ,works every time,
I use hard well water, my dad uses bottled water
SGB
Swill Maker

Re: Easy sugar shine with napa cabbage Aka vegan organic vodka

Post by SGB »

I do two 18litre batches each week
18lt water
3kg raw cane sugar
300g napa cabbage
30 g angel sugar tolerant bread yeast

The napa cabbage works as a natural yeast nutrients
From those I'll pull 10 lt. Low wine and I'll pull 6lt on a spirit run in my beat pot still. I'll separate my cuts with 2lt head 85%-75%
2lt hearts 75%-55%
Then 2lt 55% -10%
I save the heads and tails and re-run them with the heads n tails from the following week ,I'll get another 2-2.5 litre of hearts from that and keep the heads for my beer ferment sanitizing
Also I use raw can sugar and do the runs in a pugi rum fashion ,addi g the 40#-20% rum oils and 2 litres of backset Dunder in the spirit run
I nuke age 48 hours torched tropical red oak and some I'll keep clear in the freezer for shots
It's very good
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

Interesting. Is this a cabbage flavoured vodka? Sounds a bit different haha 🤣 normally vodka needs to be refluxed to achieve a more neutral spirit but if it tastes good and it's for you, who's to tell you different!
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

IMG_20220316_193138.jpg
There is no taste what's so ever in relation to the napa cabbage. The only flavor that comes across is a sweetness and smoothness that I guess is from the raw sugar
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

IMG_20220316_193645.jpg
Best tasting Vodka I've ever had
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

CopperFiend wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:25 am Interesting. Is this a cabbage flavoured vodka? Sounds a bit different haha 🤣 normally vodka needs to be refluxed to achieve a more neutral spirit but if it tastes good and it's for you, who's to tell you different!
That's the thing right there good neutral with a pot still
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I thought I posted this in the tried and true? As I originally last year posted in recipe development.
Well it's more than developed it's a done deal..so whatever it takes, this recipe should move ahead. It's just too easy and works
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

That's not your call, so I moved it. Glad you have a recipe you like. If others find it useful and as awesome as you do, maybe one day there will be a spot for it.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

In Soviet Homedistiller dot com you don't choose tried and true, tried and true choose you!
Yakov-Smirnoff21.jpg
But seriously... wouldn't it just solve a lot of confusion if the mods just didn't leave that subforum open for anyone to post in?
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:34 am In Soviet Homedistiller dot com you don't choose tried and true, tried and true choose you!
Yakov-Smirnoff21.jpg

But seriously... wouldn't it just solve a lot of confusion if the mods just didn't leave that subforum open for anyone to post in?
You think we like doing work that doesn't need to be done? Let's keep this on topic and addressing the op. Thanks.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

It was just a joke. Sorry. Keep on partying friend.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Seems like the work of chopping cabbage simply for yeast nutrients is much harder than making a boiled yeast bomb with some B vitamins and doing a Shady’s sugar shine recipe.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:05 pm Seems like the work of chopping cabbage simply for yeast nutrients is much harder than making a boiled yeast bomb with some B vitamins and doing a Shady’s sugar shine recipe.
10 seconds to chop up some fresh leaves is not at all labor intensive. Plus it's organic ,cheap and Saves on yeast and no pills
Edit
The napa cabbage provides nutrients for the yeast in just one ingredient
Whereas a yeast bomb is a mixture of several ingredients such as
Plant fertilizer
Vitamins
Marmite
Several cups of boiled yeast
Epsom salts
And so forth
The napa cabbage is totally tasteless, just like me so it stands I'd be supportive of it
Basically this sugar wash takes very little time to do and hardly any effort at all
Try it before you knock it
Last edited by SGB on Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:23 am That's not your call, so I moved it. Glad you have a recipe you like. If others find it useful and as awesome as you do, maybe one day there will be a spot for it.
Ok
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

SGB wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:42 pm Try it before you knock it
I would say most here have tried and moved on from sugar washes - simple and easy maybe, smooth and tasty? Well compared to what? It's at the bottom of the list for me. I wouldn't think a pinch of cabbage is going to change that.

also, twice distilled sugar wash through a rudimentary pot still is not what I would call "neutral" nor would I call it even vodka, it's sugar shine.
fzbwfk9r
Bootlegger
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle of God's country. Saskatchewan!

Post by fzbwfk9r »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:11 am
I would say most here have tried and moved on from sugar washes - simple and easy maybe, smooth and tasty? Well compared to what? It's at the bottom of the list for me. I wouldn't think a pinch of cabbage is going to change that.

also, twice distilled sugar wash through a rudimentary pot still is not what I would call "neutral" nor would I call it even vodka, it's sugar shine.
Haters gonna hate

So, according to you, commercial vodkas aren't really vodkas if made from sugar.... because they are not "Neutral".... Got it!
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

fzbwfk9r wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:12 pm

Haters gonna hate

So, according to you, commercial vodkas aren't really vodkas if made from sugar.... because they are not "Neutral".... Got it!
No hate. I sure make my own batches of sugar shine. (I use spent grains from all grain mashes) I'm just saying sugar shine is not "organic vodka" - and run through a pot still twice is not enough to make any decent vodka from my experience (a decent sugar shine tho) and yes, sugar has a bite and burn to it that all grain mashes don't seem to have to me. So if I wanted to make a good vodka I would use an all grain mash like wheat. At least triple distilled! :thumbup:
fzbwfk9r
Bootlegger
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle of God's country. Saskatchewan!

Post by fzbwfk9r »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:08 am No hate. I sure make my own batches of sugar shine. (I use spent grains from all grain mashes) I'm just saying sugar shine is not "organic vodka" - and run through a pot still twice is not enough to make any decent vodka from my experience (a decent sugar shine tho) and yes, sugar has a bite and burn to it that all grain mashes don't seem to have to me. So if I wanted to make a good vodka I would use an all grain mash like wheat. At least triple distilled! :thumbup:
I do live in "Wheat Country" and can source it by the tonne if I want

I am currently trying to source some HT Alpha and regular Alpha so I can try some straight grain
But malt is easy to get, only a matter of money.
I am also going to try to malt my own wheat/barley this summer, corn too if I can find any
I am too much a tyco to notice much "bite" but I'm sure that'll come as I get better at my fermenting
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

as with all this stuff, I am sure the "taste" is subjective... sure seems that sugar shine recipes are popular here so who's to say...

In my limited experience the all grain mashes taste cleaner/smoother yet with much more flavor.

I am also going to try malting some grains, either wheat or rye, my local mill has them for 15 bucks for 50Lbs.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

IDK, the sugar I'm using is raw cane sugar. I also kinda follow a rum process by saving the 40%-20% tail to add back in as "rum oils" as well as 2 litres of "dunder" to the spirit run. So I guess it's sugar shine vodka white rum hybrid
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I do one every week. Never failed yet after several hundred batches. Watered down to 50% and a shot a bottle from the freezer is great. Smooth, no sting and slightly sweet. If I add wood it's also good and more like whisky or rum rather than vodka. So it works for both styles, So for me, it's just fine. And others also like it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. But I suggest you do like I do. Use the raw cane sugar , the 40-20% tail and dunder/backset
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I also want to add that I don't mix heads, hearts and tails. Out of 6 litres total, I just pull the central 2 litres. I then take the remaining 4 litres to do a feints run later. That's why IMO it's smooth...and at 50+% after adding water ... no burn...no sting... No harsh vodka mouth feel.. Works very well with infusions.. My sleepy time Valerian root and chamomile flower extract not only tastes good it gives you a restful sleep
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I would say most here have tried and moved on from sugar washes - simple and easy maybe, smooth and tasty? Well compared to what? It's at the bottom of the list for me. I wouldn't think a pinch of cabbage is

Haters gonna hate

No hate. I sure make my own batches of sugar shine. (I use spent grains from all grain mashes) I'm just saying sugar shine is not "organic vodka" - and run through a pot still twice is not enough to make any decent vodka from my experience (a decent sugar shine tho) and yes, sugar has a bite and burn to it that all grain mashes don't seem to have to me. So if I wanted to make a good vodka I would use an all grain mash like wheat. At least triple distilled! :thumbup:

That fine for You'all but,

Where I live grain is imported and very expensive. I only use it for beer making and even then I cheat and add sugar. We don't have much money to speak of and my experience in distillation was a direct result of no money for beer. I started with rice as its plentiful here and we already have experience with rice wine. Personally I don't like the taste of rice alcohols as it just reminds me of a Korean hangover . I did ALOT of UJSSM and it was all good but sometimes it would crash, get worms, or just get too sour. And it's a fake whisky anyway. It's a sour corn sugarshine . So I just went for simplicity and cheap. . Lots of sugar cane here and raw cane sugar is cheap and plentiful. A bottle of Jim Beam or absolute cost $50usd a case of beer is almost 35-40$usd .. my 2 litre of 65% hearts costs $5 USD and it works just fine for my
no $ situation
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

2 years and still going strong. Damn if this isn't the easiest sugar shine recipe :D take all of about 15 minutes to make and a solid week to finish fermentation everytime. I lost count but 2 years 1 every week is more than 100 ferments with zero failures, even with expired angel yellow, just took a bit longer but still 1.060 to .990 that's damn good for just bread yeast sugar and a few leafs of china lettuce :mrgreen:
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

I can't speak for this recipe or Napa cabbage at all, but I use stinging nettles as yeast nutrients and they do work, for exactly the same reason.

Ok you need a lot compared to something like DAP, but hey, nettles are free and the damn things are everywhere around my place.
Make Booze, not War!