Jesse James Bourbon

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Jesse James Bourbon

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Hey guys,

Well here’s my attempt at a personal bourbon recipe and I’m hoping for something tasty. I’m going to be working towards a refill of my 5 gallon Gibbs Barrel and this might be the ticket. I’m also considering a CROW bourbon for this as well.

The name comes from the grain bill. Rye, Oats and Barley. “ROB” made me think of a someone great at robbing people, Jesse James. Very cheesy indeed!

I’m hoping for some body and smoothness from the oats, spice from the rye and a bit of fruitiness from the English Ale yeast. I also threw in Weyermann Pilsner Malt because it’s my favorite for brewing German style beer. It has a fantastic, sweet/bready flavor that I think will be welcome in a spirit.

Recipe:

25 gallons filtered water
25lbs Fine Corn Meal
6 lbs Rolled Oats
6 lbs Rye Malt
6 lbs Weyermann Pilsner Malt

Process with 50gal kettle:

-Bring 25 gallons of water to a boil
-Add 4tsp Calcium Chloride
-Add corn and oats, stir with drill mixer, let sit for 30min
-Add 15ml SebStar HTL and mix with drill. Place wort chiller inside kettle to naturally sanitize.
-Wrap kettle with 2 blankets overnight “8hrs.” Should drop to 155 next morning
-Check Ph
-Adjust with lactic acid to get below 5.5
-Add 15ml Seb amylase, then remaining malts, mix
-Cover with blankets and let rest for 8hrs
-Check for conversion with iodine and taste
-Chill to 72deg with wort chiller
-Measure OG
-pitch 4 packets S04 yeast
-Add 1 Tbsp DAP
-Add 5tsp chalk
-set temp controller to 70deg
-Wait

After Fermentation, rack off liquid for first strip, squeeze the rest in the mop wringer and cold crash before next strip. Commence spirit run after both stripping runs. OR, build up additional low wines from subsequent batches to fill boiler.

I’m thinking this will be best suited for a strip/spirit with my pot still, but I’m also considering my plated column. I might try it both ways for my own curiosity. Since it’ll be in the barrel for at least 1.5 to 2 years, some smearing of “the good stuff” should add some welcome complexity to the spirit.

I’ll post up the results along the way!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Jesse James Bourbon

Post by Deplorable »

Have you peeked in on this to see how its progressing in the barrel?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.