8Ball’s Margay Kahlua

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

8Ball’s Margay Kahlua

Post by 8Ball »

Well this turned out good as soon as it was made. Should get better and better after a month or so.

The ‘Margay’ is a small wild cat found in South America where good panela & rum are also found. So a tip of the hat to that part of the world … here is the recipe:

Coffee:
2 cups Cafe’ Bustello, ground espresso coffee
3 cups plus 1-1/2 shots filtered water
Tiny pinch of salt

2 Keurig (K-cups) of Starbucks Sumatra coffee made into 8 oz of strong coffee brew. You can substitute 8 oz of very strong coffee of your choice, just make sure it is good quality.

Heat water and salt to boiling. Remove from heat. Add ground coffee, stir, let steep for 10 minutes, then strain off using a coffee filter. This may take some time, don’t get in a hurry and don’t get any coffee grinds in the drip. Add the strong brewed coffee to the strained espresso coffee and set aside.

Sugars:
1 pound pure panela
1/2 cup organic sucanat sugar
1 tablespoon wild honey
Juice of 1/8 lemon
1 cup filtered water

Heat water to almost boiling. Add lemon juice and sugars. Reduce heat to medium and stir until sugars are dissolved. Do not bring to boil.

Alcohol:
12 oz neutral @ 69% abv
16 oz dark rum @ 61% (I used my 30 month old molasses & panela)
1 oz of pure vanilla extract

Combine the neutral, rum, and extract. Let stand while the coffee and sugar are cooling.

Once cooled to ambient, combine everything in a single pot. Make sure you stir it well. Transfer to container of your choice. This makes enough to fill a 1.75L glass bottle, plus a little left over to enjoy right away. Keep it in a dark place.

Enjoy! 🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 8Ball’s Margay Kahlua

Post by Stonecutter »

Hell yes. Nuanced yet simple enough to attempt. Bookmarked. Thanks 8ball
When you say 1.5 shots…is this Oz of espresso? Or of water?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Sounds delicious, 8Ball. Without the luxury of an aged dark rum, I'll start looking for a suitable overproof dark rum substitute.

Thanks for sharing.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Stonecutter wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:27 pm Hell yes. Nuanced yet simple enough to attempt. Bookmarked. Thanks 8ball
When you say 1.5 shots…is this Oz of espresso? Or of water?
Thanks Stonecutter. Just 1.5 shots of plain water, it magically turns into the Kahlua thats left over after you fill that 1.75L handle.
😎
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:54 pm Sounds delicious, 8Ball. Without the luxury of an aged dark rum, I'll start looking for a suitable overproof dark rum substitute.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Twisted, I estimate that my recipe works out to be a little north of 30% abv, the commercial stuff clocks in at 20%, so as long as it is a dark rum, you should be good to go.