Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky

Postby StillerBoy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Blackbeard wrote:I've not done anything with enzymes before, can anyone elaborate on what I need to use please?

If you were to take the time to read the thread properly, you would see that there is a post (up above some 6 or 7 post) on the liquid enzymes..

Please take the time read, not be so quick asking questions which have already answered..

Mars
StillerBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby OtisT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Blackbeard wrote:I've not done anything with enzymes before, can anyone elaborate on what I need to use please?

I use “SEBStar HTL” as my high temp enzyme. My local stores don’t carry it and I ordered in-line. I believe a 4 oz bottle will last ya for about 120 gallons of ferment (from memory, so check the label).

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Twisted Brick » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:27 pm

I too, use SebStar HTL and SEBAmyl GL and love 'em. Easy to use and effective on AG mashes.

There are guidelines for use, including dosage, temp range and pH.

You can find them here: Enzymash.com
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields
Twisted Brick
Rumrunner

Postby still_chillin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:14 pm

I learned a very hard lesson this weekend while running this recipe... I have been a bit lazy cleaning the tower on my pot still. Some kind of funk had built up. It wasn't noticeable while running, but after airing the whisky out for a day, it developed a very bad odor. I went to smell my column and it had the same nasty smell and medicinal taste.
Anyhow, I let the whisky air for a couple of days. It is still medicinal tasting, but the funky smell is gone. I also ran it very slow (a drop every second) since I only wanted one run. No flavor or body came over at all.
Well, at least I have the sugar piggyback finishing up. I've cleaned the still and hope for better results. Lesson learned.
still_chillin
Novice

Postby dukethebeagle120 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 am

I also recently did this recipe
Its good
The only thing is i got a husky type taste a bit
Like the dry husk from corn
I used whole feed oats
It taste like the husk a bit
But with some time it is going away
I never used whole oats before
Btw its smooth and silky
But yes all the above
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Daniel Baker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Is there any reason to start the mash at 180 F and let it cool down to hit the rest points? I'm planning on a BIAB multi-step mash. I would like to rest at 113–118 F (beta-glucanase/protein rest), then 140–149 (lower saccharization temp favors fermentable sugars over non-fermentable sugars for a better yield). I have added some 2-row malted barley as a source of enzymes.

This seems to me like it should work well, but I've never mashed an all-adjunct (from a beer brewer's point of view) grain bill. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
Daniel Baker
Novice

Postby bentstick » Tue May 07, 2019 5:42 pm

Nope no reason,but is not what I did,the recipe is here, play as ya will and enjoy your makins,this was something I was lookin for and found it,take it as far as ya will and post your results :thumbup:
It is what you make it
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby loadie2004 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:00 am

Hello everyone.

I am looking for some advice.

I have been trying a version of this recipe and I am getting very poor SG. I thought it may be my mash tun set up so I "improved" it but it didn't help. So now I am looking for some advice.

This is what I am using.

3.4 lbs oats
2.0 lbs wheat
1.3 lbs malted wheat
2.0 lbs rye
1.3 lbs malted rye

I heated 5 gallons of water up to 180 F, add the oats, wheat and rye to my mash tun and pour the strike water in. This lowers the water temp to about 160 F. I added 1/2 tsp of Alpha Amylase, stir to make sure I don't have any dough balls, turn on my recirculating pump and let it sit for 90 minutes. After 90 minutes I add the malted wheat and malted rye and another 3 gallons of water to bring the temp back up to 160 F. I then let it sit for another 90 minutes recirculating.

I drain my tun into a carboy and sparge the mash until my carboy is full.

Once everything has cooled (usually the next morning) I test my SG. I have only been getting around 1.020. My last attempt only got 1.015. So I end up adding 2 kgs of corn sugar, my yeast (ec1118) and let it go.

I would really like to get an SG high enough so I don't have to add sugar.

All my grains are milled. No flakes.

Thoughts?

Todd
loadie2004
Novice

Postby fizzix » Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 am

Not enough initial heat and too short a time is my guess.
Get that water to a rolling boil and pour it onto your oats, wheat and rye, and insulate the bucket with blankets for 90 minutes.
Then let it come down to 180°F on its own, and pick it up from there. I betcha that solves the problem.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Tummydoc » Sat May 25, 2019 5:52 am

How big is your carboy? You start with 5 gallons strike water, then add 3 gallons, then add spare water. You've got 8+ gallons of water but only 10 lbs of grain if I'm following this right. Usually shoot for 2-2.5 lbs grain/gallon of mash for a decent SG. I think your grain bill is too low. Get a thumper and make life simple. Ferment on the grain (no sparge), put the liquid in your boiler and slop in the thump. No straining or squeezing needed and not a single drop of alcohol wasted. I'll never use a paint bag, mop bucket, or 400 micron strainer again.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby gsugg » Sat May 25, 2019 10:38 am

Loadie,

I know lots of guys on here get great results with no boil methods, just pouring the boiling water on and letting it do it's thing. In my personal experience, I have to hold a slow simmer for about an hour to maximize my yields. (With corn change that to a rolling boil for a couple of hours!). Also, since I use home made malts, I use backup enzymes for insurance. The malts are there more for flavor than anything else. Without that slow simmer, seems I lose a 1/3 or more of my potential yield. Doesn't bother me to simmer it as I'm not trying to beat any speed records since this is after all a hobby! (Plus, I've got a drill powered stirring device I made so not much work. Kind of like the one Pint uses in his Youtube video teaching the use of enzymes on corn) Just what works for me.

Greg
gsugg
Novice

Postby loadie2004 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:09 pm

Tummydoc wrote:How big is your carboy? You start with 5 gallons strike water, then add 3 gallons, then add spare water. You've got 8+ gallons of water but only 10 lbs of grain if I'm following this right. Usually shoot for 2-2.5 lbs grain/gallon of mash for a decent SG. I think your grain bill is too low. Get a thumper and make life simple. Ferment on the grain (no sparge), put the liquid in your boiler and slop in the thump. No straining or squeezing needed and not a single drop of alcohol wasted. I'll never use a paint bag, mop bucket, or 400 micron strainer again.

Tummydoc, My carboy is 6 gallons. I loose a lot of water to the grains soaking them up. I was wondering if my grain bill was too small, so I am glad you mentioned it. I may up it by 25% next time. I don't have the room for a thumper. Maybe someday.
loadie2004
Novice

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Mon May 27, 2019 6:23 pm

loadie, I suggest you give us a little info about your background with 'stillin to be able to help you out here.
I don't see any post in the Welcome Center, that would be a good place to pop in and tell us a bit about yourself.

Based on what I see I have to say that it looks like you're just in over your head here.

This is a very good recipe. It makes a damn fine white whiskey, IF you follow this recipe. It is designed for mashing, fermenting, and stripping, on-grain.

Oats tend to be sticky.
Wheat tends to be sticky.
Rye tends to be sticky. Oh, an prone to scorch.

You could triple your grain bill and get your OG up to 1.060, maybe, and still meet with disaster when you try to strip the ferment.

Like I say, I don't know your background, not trying to bash you, just letting you know that this is not a good recipe for a noob to improvise on.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes