Hook Rum

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Re: Hook Rum

Post by bcboyz86 »

Well, if ya think about how molasses gives false readings... It should have the same consistent falseness before and after. The only reason its false it because of the suspended solids and unfermentables in the wash. So let's say that's "x" in an equation. So say you take your Initial SG and there's X amount of error...after the sugars ferment out its still X amount of error minus the fermentable sugars... Another way to think about it would be if the SG starts at 1.110 and ends at 1.010 and its a difference of 0.1 , or if its 1.210 and ends with 1.110 its still 0.1. So there was 0.1 difference of fermenting out 0.1 regardless of what it started out with... Does this make sense? Or have I had too many beers? I think each wash would be a little different, but the difference between the initial reading and last reading would still be the amount of sugar that ferments out no matter how far off the readings are.
..the smarter you get, the more you realize you don't know...
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Yes I understand what your saying. I think if I take an end reading and believe that it's complete then my next batch will be approx the same, provided I use the same recipe.
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

Yea, that should work. You can also gage how done it is by how much sugar ya put in and how much it shoulda fermented from that sugar to find out when its REALLY done, not just stalled. But taste is a good indicator, the three day rule with the hydrometer is another good one if the wash doesn't taste sweet at all...
..the smarter you get, the more you realize you don't know...
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Hi all, I did a rum the other day and used about 15l dunder in a 30l wash, did the yeast, water ect but its as flat as a tack, has had no life what so ever. Can I bicarb it and try get some life into it?. Ive never had this happen in over 30 rum washes!!. The dunder was from a run taken down to 30%, could I have killed the yeast?. Thanks for any help.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

I'm no expert but my understanding is that when you do your first wash you will need to add a bit of citric acid

But

When you do your subsequent washes using finder from the previous, you will need to add bicarbonate to balance out the acidity.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Think your right mate, I've done bugger all finder washes, don't really like them. I've bicarbed it and it's happy now :D
"Homer J Simpson"
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

crazyk78 wrote:When you do your subsequent washes using finder from the previous, you will need to add bicarbonate to balance out the acidity. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Not too far off; it's called "Dunder"
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Lol damn autocorrect.

Ps I just finished a run and this will be my second Dunder generation. I added 1tbsp of bicard to the hot mix and it fizzed like a volcanic eruption. Luckily my fermenter was only 1/4 full !

Rum is by far the easiest wash to make
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Yeah it makes it go crazy, even more with heat. I think it was DAD member that did a Ph ajuster with bicarb and cit acid, works really well.
"Homer J Simpson"
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Was in a bit of a rush to finish up my run and I forgot to add DAP to my next wash.

It's bubbling away quite nicely. Do I need to add it?
aliced
Novice

Post by aliced »

Hey there people, after doing this three times I am having some issues.

I have stayed exactly as the method outlines and have found the following;

Every run tastes like chemicals, like that really crap rum you buy from the store.

I am running it through a pot still that I have successfully made a fair few batches of whiskey and fruit schnapps through and cant work out for the life of me why it is happening.

The only thing I could come up with is that there are additives in the molasses that I do not know about....

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

How fast are you running it?

Mine isn't like chemical but very mollassesy.

Have you made cuts correctly? Because heads will taste like that.

I've got it now where hearts have most of the bite taken out of em but have a glass and you feel the alcohol warm u up
aliced
Novice

Post by aliced »

Yeah I run it real slow, warm it up slow then run it slow. The distalite coming out of the end of the condenser is like a fast drip but not quite a line. I have always seperated the product into 500ml jars, Then let it sit for a few days covered.

Funny thing is that when it comes straight off the still I can hardly taste it, just after it has been sitting the taste comes through.

I just can't seem to figure it?
aliced
Novice

Post by aliced »

I forgot to add, it is through all of the samples till I get down to about 20% (ABV) which tastes like dog vomit.

Or should I say it tastes like what I imagine dog vomit would taste like :)
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Lol something must be seriously wrong if it tastes like that.

Try stilling it again when you do another wash.

Sorry can't add much more than that
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I'd try doing a strip run then a spirit run, making your cuts at 200ml.
"Homer J Simpson"
aliced
Novice

Post by aliced »

Alright, I will try that.

I have halved the molasses and upped the sugar for this next wash, to see if it changes anything :)
aliced
Novice

Post by aliced »

Well nothing changed,

The supplier says it is chemical free, I say he is full of BS.
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

Hook,
How would I best assimilate your 60L recipe using "brown sugar" in place of "raw sugar"? I know brown sugar is pretty much white sugar with molasses mixed in.

I'm thinking; 6L blackstrap with 6kg brown sugar?

Thanks
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

Have a question about still puking........

Does rum have the propensity to foam / puke more so than say, BW's or UJSM washes?

I run a 58 L boiler at the 50L level with no such problems to date. Seems many of the foaming / puking threads have the word "rum" in them.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

The more molasses used. The better chance of foaming. Also how clean that molasses is.

50 l in a 58 l boiler is higher then most would suggest. 3/4 would be 43 l and is generally max suggested fill.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Spokerider wrote:Hook,
How would I best assimilate your 60L recipe using "brown sugar" in place of "raw sugar"? I know brown sugar is pretty much white sugar with molasses mixed in.

I'm thinking; 6L blackstrap with 6kg brown sugar?

Thanks
Will work, though a little on the strong side maybe. Depends on your taste.

And yeah rum washes can foam a fair bit. Fill the boiler about 2/3 for the stripping run.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

Thank you guys.
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

Having completed 4 batches of Hook Rum, I have 32 liters or thereabouts of low wines saved. Diluted to about 35% abv, I have distilled almost 14 liters of spirits before shutting it down for the night. Will have to finish the run tomorrow.

Anyway, tasting as I distill, as I always do.........I seem to be getting into the tails already, there is a definite harsher / lingering taste on the back of the tongue, more so than with the hearts.

Does this seem about right? as far as making the cuts goes? The first 2L were sharp with heads, the next 500ml to 1L collections [ run collected in 500ml jars ] were smoother. All foreshots were taken off with the stripping runs.

So I'm looking at about 11L of drinking spirits out of 32? Seems a bit low? I can tolerate late heads better than the funk from tails so it seems with anything that I make.

Maybe the flavour will change [ ie; smoother without the lingering furry taste ] as I get into the deeper tails tomorrow. Final cuts will be made after the whole run is done and aired out 36 hrs.

For what it's worth, [ yes I realize, cuts are made via taste and not temp ] the temp on the vapours, right at the take off, was at 180 deg. when I noticed the tails coming on stronger. 176-178 deg. was smooth, smooth.

How do you Hookers :) make your cuts?
googe
retired

Post by googe »

What abv was it?, when you say drinking strength, did you get 11 of 40%?. If your collecting in 500-1 litre its to big, unless your still compresses well and you know where the cuts are?. I'm guessing you have a pot?. You should get about 15L if it produces around 70%. What was the abv when you shut down and thought tails was to early?. I think you've pretty much milked it for all its worth.
"Homer J Simpson"
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

Back up running today..... I shut down last night because it was getting too late, not because I was into the tails of the run.

It was 32 liters of ? 50ish abv....never did measure the low wines. I just added the 32L of low wines to the boiler, topped it up with water to the 54 L level or so, and then measured it at 35% abv. I don't have the carboys [ where I store the low wines ] marked off in liters, nor do I use a measuring stick to tell exactly how many liters are in the keg boiler....so all of my said amounts are an estimate.

I use a boka head on a 21" unpacked column, needle valve wide open, with just enough heat to get the pencil-lead output stream I desire. I also keep the condenser on the cool side to minimize any reflux. The Sweetfeed that I made with this method averaged 83% abv. The Hook Rum should be similar I'm guessing.
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

The Hook Rum turned out very well, I am pleased 8)
The spirits averaged out to 82 percent ABV, and I am happy with the cuts, happy enough that I would repeat the recipe and cuts without any changes next time.

I diluted the spirits to 64 percent, and have it aging on burgundy wine barrel oak sticks that I have lightly toasted. I kept out a liter and have microwave aged it on the same oak. Two nukes and the rum turned a golden yellow, and had a perfect balance between the molasses flavour and oak. I then decided to experiment with Pinoshine's Spiced Rum Recipe;

"Spice extract.
This is what I used with good luck on the first try. I wouldn't know what to change because the results were excellent.

in a small jar, mix together:
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp anise seeds
2 whole cloves
1/2 cup high proof rum. I use 55% abv
Mix this thoroughly and heat in microwave until it just starts to bubble. Stir again and let set overnight.
Filter the now very spiced mixture and extract into another jar to remove spices. It stops up the coffee filter and requires one to have to make a bag of the filter and squeeze gently to get the liquid out."

I added 4 peppercorns, a 5 inch piece of vanilla bean, 20 Fennel seeds and 3 heaping teaspoons of dried rose hips. The bouquet from the rose hips is outstanding! Then I made the extract as per above, and added it sparingly to the liter of rum to just balance and compliment the existing flavours.

Lastly, I added pure maple syrup to taste, about 3 teaspoons to this liter. All I can say is wow! This is the best rum I have ever tried. I can't believe I actually made it :shock: .

Thanks for the great rum recipe Hook, and thanks Pint for the great spiced recipe.
Midwestsire
Novice

Post by Midwestsire »

First time poster.

I am a do it your self-er. I grow some of my own food, cut some firewood, make my own bullets, I have a few hens...
I like to drink, rum is one of my favorites, and I've never had anything more costly than Bacardi. It seems weak and tasteless to me.
Makes sense I give this a try.

I have a wine/beer making kit and have made some decent porter. I bought the proper hydrometer to complete the kit and a stainless 3 gal. boiler that came with the copper bits and an aquarium pump.

I've read this whole thread. Funny how such a simple seeming project can engender so many curiosities.

So here's where I'm at:
I bought a jug of molasses (before reading this thread). It doesn't say anything about sulfur but it does contain that P acid. Oh well, you guys seem to think that it takes several tries to make it work anyway and I have no other use for it so ...
I clarified enough of it to make a 5 gal. wash (2.5 qts.) when it was cooling I thought I'd proof the yeast in it (to see if I'm wasting my time, and give the yeast a fighting chance). I took about a quarter cup of it and mixed it with about a half cup of warm water and a big spoonful of plain white sugar.
I put in almost an ounce of Red Star, and a small packet of "champagne yeast" (in case it liked the wash better). I'm understandably worried about the fermentation). It's about 5 degrees outside and my big old brick place is pretty, cool despite the biggest wood furnace I could find, so I wrapped the qt. Mason jar in a towel and put it on a heating pad set on low. It's fizzing quite well so I am somewhat reassured.
Tomorrow after the molasses settles I will mix it with about half a spoonful of citric acid, almost four lbs of sugar, a tablespoon of tomato paste, and enough warm water to make five gallons of wash. i'll stir in my jar of yeast. It will ferment in a 6.5 gal. bucket with an air lock. I will set that on top of the heating pad (on medium with a folded towel over it and wrap it with a blanket, and check the temp. periodically.

Two days after it quits bubbling I will rack it and start another wash. Two days later I will put about half of it into my little pot and bring it up quickly on the electric range. When It starts to drip out I will turn the heat down to maintain a drip and catch the first three or four ounces and use it for my camp stove.

How am I doin' so far? Here's where i get into the weeds.

I will collect all the rest of it in jars and let it breath for a few days.
What is the point of separating it all out if your just going to dump it all back in for another run?

The 1.5 run makes sense to me because a full bodied rum is the whole point to all of this. So I will mix the low wine with half again as much dunder and lees and then add water enough to bring it down under 40% ABV.

Next run I do it more slowly and separate out the cuts and put the hearts into a container with some charred oak and leave it alone for awhile.
The next wash should be ready by then so I mix my heads and tails with some wash, the rest of the dunder, and some water if necessary.

By this second run I will be making spirit runs every time right? At least until I have no more heads and tails left to mix with the wash and dunder, then I must strip some more?
If I do two or three runs in a row do I need to clean out the pot each time in between?
Also there is a lot of talk about PH. yet you use both an Alkaline and acids. I guess you use the acid in the first run that has no dunder and there after keep putting in the bi-carb because the dunder is itself so acidic?

Do you make every wash the same (except for the change in PH altering elements, and the dunder)? The lees have yeast, do I need more each time if I add the gunk off the bottom of the ferment-er? Same amount of everything else?

I'm sure most of these have been answered somewhere but just writing this down brings me closer to getting clear.
Midwestsire
Novice

Post by Midwestsire »

I didn't get back to the project until tonight. So the clarified molasses sat for almost three days. When i poured it into the ferment-or there was a clearly lighter colored "sediment" in the bottom. i left a cup or two in the pot.

The yeast in the jar didnt seem to last in the fridge. I put it in anyway and then discovered the temp was over ninety. (Fahrenheit). It bubbled very little so when the temp got down to 84 I sprinkled some yeast on top as... I was supposed to in the first place, and put on the air lock.

It burped about every six or seven seconds right away and now an hour and a half later it's about every two seconds. The heat pad on low and a covering of blankets is keeping it at a nice steady 82 degrees.

One more screw up. What I thought was citric acid was instead ascorbic acid (vitamin c). It's an edible acidic so what the heck? May give me some off flavor if in fact I manage to pull this thing off at all!
Spokerider
Novice

Post by Spokerider »

Sounds like you're not too sure about what steps need to be taken and the why-fors.
We all have to start somewhere, so it's good that you are getting your feet wet.
Essentially, the basic steps are all the same for all washes / stripping / spirit run / cuts / blending, etc.

Read, learn, and read some more.

Don't expect perfection for your first time. Keep learning.......it'll make sense to you as you go.