sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kenny8906
Novice

Re: sweetfeed whisky Oaking & Ageing

Post by Kenny8906 »

KS, thanks for the great recipe, and the wealth of knowledge you and the others have shared with us all.

I have a question regarding ageing and then oaking the sweetfeed whisky. Do you dilute the whisky prior to ageing and oaking or afterwards prior to drinking?

thanks again
Kenny
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by Kentucky shinner »

I cut mine to about 70% before I put it in a barrel or put it on oak chips.
Kenny8906
Novice

Post by Kenny8906 »

Kentucky shinner wrote:I cut mine to about 70% before I put it in a barrel or put it on oak chips.

Thank you
Horse_Shoe
Swill Maker

Post by Horse_Shoe »

I just finished fermenting my second batch of single malt on the grains. The first batch came out great with no off flavors. The mash was a real stinker, though. I'm distress aging the double distilled spirit now with toasted oak rowels inside. It's very smooth.
cornsqueezer4u
Novice

Post by cornsqueezer4u »

Good morning KS,
Question for you. I started two batches of the sweetfeed last night and I followed your directions to the letter. When I pitched the yeast both buckets started working within two minutes and this morning they are both really working. I have never seen anything work that fast before, is it normal with this? I used Crosby & Baker distillers yeast at 8 tablespoons per bucket. Did I use too much yeast?
Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mashy »

cornsqueezer4u wrote:Good morning KS,
Question for you. I started two batches of the sweetfeed last night and I followed your directions to the letter. When I pitched the yeast both buckets started working within two minutes and this morning they are both really working. I have never seen anything work that fast before, is it normal with this? I used Crosby & Baker distillers yeast at 8 tablespoons per bucket. Did I use too much yeast?

I think that's too much yeast. I started two batches of sweet feed two nights ago and put two tablespoons of a mixed yeast bag of super start and crosby bakers in each fermenter, which is probably too much, and a couple hours later they were going nuts and are still going strong 3 days later. I seem to remember reading on here that too much yeast isn't a problem but fermenting too fast can cause some off flavors. Not sure how much of that info is scientific vs. subjective though. The recipe does call for 8 tablespoons of bakers yeast per 6 gallon batch. KS or one of the other long timers should be able to expand on what problems too much yeast can cause, if any.
Mashy

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

As far as yeast pitching is concerned, here goes... I need to create a sticky for this one...

The only difference in the amount of yeast pitched is the amount of lag time before the colony switches from the reproductive mode into fermentation mode... Less yeast = more lag time... More yeast = less lag time... If you go way overboard on pitching, or the colony doesn't slow reproduction quickly enough, the colony may revert to autolysis (cannibalism) once all of the sugar and/or nutrients are depleted, contributing to off tastes and/or smells... When "over-pitching" it is a good idea to rack the wash off the trub soon after the wash has adequately cleared to avoid this potential problem...

Just think about the volume of yeast you find in the bottom of your fermenter after a wash has completed, regardless of the amount pitched...
cornsqueezer4u
Novice

Post by cornsqueezer4u »

Just thin about the volume of yeast you find in the bottom of your fermenter after a wash has completed, regardless of the amount pitched...This is unclear to my thick head. Does this mean I can still use backset with the grain and yeast if I thin the yeast and that I should always thin the yeast?

Thanks to both of you for the reply's. I'm not new to making whisky, I've been around shine all my life, I'm just new to making whisky that is fit to drink!
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

cornsqueezer4u wrote:Just thin about the volume of yeast you find in the bottom of your fermenter after a wash has completed, regardless of the amount pitched...This is unclear to my thick head. Does this mean I can still use backset with the grain and yeast if I thin the yeast and that I should always thin the yeast?

Thanks to both of you for the reply's. I'm not new to making whisky, I've been around shine all my life, I'm just new to making whisky that is fit to drink!
He meant "THINK" about how much yeast is left in a lees bed. We often start over with a tremendous amount. Point being that it is difficult to use too much yeast. If you rack it off when the ferment is mostly completed you will not have troubles with off flavors cause by cannibalism when pushed too far. Solid advice.

edit: Damn am I starting to sound like rad? I have been reading too many of his posts
cornsqueezer4u
Novice

Post by cornsqueezer4u »

Ok, now I've got it figured out! Thanks
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

mash rookie wrote:edit: Damn am I starting to sound like rad? I have been reading too many of his posts
I think I see a promotion for you in my crystal ball. :D :clap:

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
cornsqueezer4u
Novice

Post by cornsqueezer4u »

I've read so much that I'm completely confused now. I will be distillin the 2nd generation this weekend. Do I mix the low wines with this beer or mix the low wines together & distill them later?
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

corn...

I run out three or four strip runs, then load the boiler with low wines and do a slow spirit run with cuts. You can mix your low wines with the next generation mash, it's up to you. At some point I do an all feints run.

You can also mix the feints from your last spirit run with the finished mash. It's your choice. Whatever works with your work flow and the flavor profile that you're seeking.

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
cornsqueezer4u
Novice

Post by cornsqueezer4u »

Thanks Bull, I did a stripping run today & added it to the 2.5 gal from last time. I will be following your lead and do a slow run when I have about 6 gal of low wines.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Having made enough Rum to last for a year or two, i was at my feed store yesterday and picked up a 10kg sack of kibbled maise intending to start some Gens of UJSSM - bit pissed to see the crack is way corse and grain looks a bit crappy.

While i was there though i did notice they had 25KG bags of COB mollasses Sweet feed for $24.99 NZ.

I'm debating wether to go back and buy it to do this instead - would keep me about 10 gens at 4 pounds per 23 L wash . . . Might save the corn till i've had a go at malting my wheat and then use it in an AG.
I can use 2 barrels for continious sweetfeed gens and my 3rd for some more neutral washes.
What do you recon?
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
cornsqueezer4u
Novice

Post by cornsqueezer4u »

I did my first low wines run yesterday. The low wines were at about 40%, first and second generation, and the first to come out was at about 94%. It soon settled down to about 80% and stayed that way for most of the run. I tossed the first 200 ml just to be safe, although I had also done it during the stripping run. I was running into 250 ml jars and when I hit jar #9 my whole world changed. Suddenly I was holding the smoothest, best smelling shine I have ever had. It continued to jar 16 when it dropped to 75%. I stopped collecting at #26 when it dropped to 70% and the taste started to change drastically. I collected the rest to 20%.

I've been around shine all my life and have made it off and on for the last 45 years. I was one to those guys off in la la land that didn't even know groups like this were out there. I made it the way my father did and the way his father did. I can now say, I never tasted good shine, just strong shine. I don't know if this run came off the way it should have or not, but it has really got me excited. I can't wait until the next couple of generations are ready to run (if my marriage survives).

I want to thank everyone that answered my questions and held my hand during this. Most of you don't even know you helping, but as I read your posts over and over the fog started to lift.
cornsqueezer4u
Novice

Post by cornsqueezer4u »

I have one gallon from last nights run that is 45%. Would that go with the faints or back in to the next batch of low wines?
XD40
Novice

Post by XD40 »

My sg was 1.090 that seems slightly high compared to most that i see. Should i be watching anything or be aware of anything unusual due to the higher sg? I used 52lbs sugar 15lbs sweetfeed & 26 gallons of water. Tastes great too! Thanks!
Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

so on generation 3 and after 3 weeks its only just down to SG 1000. pH was corrected a couple of time and it was re aerated twice. mine have been very slow ferments.
Anyhow now i have a white film ontop. This generation should be ok to run but i would guess i shouldn't use the grain for the next one?

So i dont lose where i am generation wise what do you think about using the backwash, maybe all of it, and use fresh grain and yeast?

Cheers
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

Corn...

You gallon of tails can go into either your feints collection, or it can be added back into the boiler with your next mash run. I've done it both ways but I usually save up my feints and then add them to a strip run to make up volume if needed.

Rargh asked;
so on generation 3 and after 3 weeks its only just down to SG 1000. pH was corrected a couple of time and it was re aerated twice. mine have been very slow ferments.
Anyhow now i have a white film ontop. This generation should be ok to run but i would guess i shouldn't use the grain for the next one?

So i dont lose where i am generation wise what do you think about using the backwash, maybe all of it, and use fresh grain and yeast?

I wouldn't advise re-aerating a wash once it's started to ferment. It's OK to run at 1.000. Don't let your wash sit too long after it's fermented out. I'd probably clean out the mash equipment and start with fresh grain. It's OK to use more backset as long as you adjust your PH. Don't overload your yeast by getting greedy with the ABV of the wash, less is more when it come to mashing.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
TheLooseCannon707
Novice

Post by TheLooseCannon707 »

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum and shine myself. I have been reading the forum for a few months now, and got down my wash's pretty good. Ive stuck to this sweet feed, and ive really got it down pat as far as the mash goes.

Heres my questions;

Do you prefer to do Spirit Runs with this mash, or just run it through one time? how much flavor is lost with a second run, and how much purity is gained? is it worth it?

Secondly, with this wash are you guys filtering it at all at any point?

What ive got is a homemade pot still, and once i got my wash good and done after about 6 days, i ran it through and put it all in 200 ml jars, labeled so i can start learning how to do my cuts properly. I have some activated carbon and a home made filter, is that something i need to run this through? or is it good to go the first time around with out any filtering? my first few jars were 160 proof, and about jar 6 was 140, and so on. The taste is killer and ive made my own oak strips to age it. Im fillin up jar 10 right now...

I guess i narrow it down to, does this get carbon filtered at all in the distillation process? (not counting racking it)
and pros and cons of a single run, to doing a spirit run?

Thanks guys.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

TheLooseCannon707, you don't carbon filter flavored spirits, only neutral spirits... Rather than worrying about carbon filtering your time would be better spent concentrating on improving your distillation practices to the point where you wouldn't need to consider filtering...

As for stripping runs versus a single spirit run, that comes down to personal preference and equipment limitations... If you have a large wash and a small boiler then it might make sense to do stripping runs and then a final spirit run of the low wines... The overall amount of time distilling would be reduced using this method while not really sacrificing taste...
TheLooseCannon707
Novice

Post by TheLooseCannon707 »

Perfect! I feel like for my first run it went pretty well. But I feel the most intimidating part is doing the cuts properly. I'm going to air them out for a day today as it should help each one become a little easier to recognize. Thanks again!
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Hey loosecannon
I have been doing SF for about six months started with single runs, tried spirit runs three times then when back to single runs, like the taste better but I also run slow for single. As far as filtering never tried it don't seem to need it.Damn happy with this recipe wife enjoys on oak, I like it white. Enjoy and have fun with it.
It is what you make it
Bloodhounddd
Novice

Post by Bloodhounddd »

after I run this through a pot still I use about half of my backset while it is still hot I put 7 pounds of sugar in the hot backset and convert my sugar. Let that cool to about 90F pour this back into your fermentor on your grain and yeast that was left in your bucket. add enough water to make 6 gallons normally my yeast wake up and are bubling away in about 4-5hours.

I really like this recipe, but I don't understand this step. What is it for? Do you mix the low wines from this and the first run together? I've got a run of Grain Neutral spirits fermenting after I popped my distilling cherry on a run of rum that that turned out pretty well, but I really got into it to make Whiskey. I'm hoping this is the first and last recipe I have to try, and I want to run it exactly like you did to start. Thanks for the help.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her.
W. C. Fields
Bloodhounddd
Novice

Post by Bloodhounddd »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I answered this question for myself. Just ignore it I'm a little slow sometimes.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But how many times do you use the same batch of sweetfeed. I'm guessing it's just those two times and then you go with a brand new batch, but if it's different, let me know.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her.
W. C. Fields
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

bloodhoundd
Just take off what is floating after ferment is done or take off 1 to 2 inches of grain after you rack it off, the darker grains are the ones used up, add about same amount back as you take out. You may do this until you decide not to use this recipe anymore
It is what you make it
marshrunner757
Swill Maker

Post by marshrunner757 »

Well, so far I've run a corn pre-mash recipe, 2 generations of UJSSM and have my first of 2 generations of rum Fermenting. As soon as I'm finished with my rum, I will be joining the SF crowd. Very intrigued by all the positive posts!
Razor Still
Novice

Post by Razor Still »

I am brand new to this hobby and after reading for weeks and weeks on this forum, I have decided to make my first shine with using sweetfeed. I will let everyone know how it turns out.
yankeeclear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yankeeclear »

Good choice RS, just make sure you can source some quality sweet feed or combine the ingredients yourself.

Stop by the Welcome Center, say hello and tell us a little about yourself.
“Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.”
-Yogi Berra