sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jeremy38541
Novice

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by jeremy38541 »

I hate to keep spamming the thread but here goes anyways. I just got word from another supplier somewhat near to me that they have a scratch grain mix that is corn, oats, wheat and barley. Sounds good to me right assuming I add some molasses? I did a search in the thread for wheat and saw that some people were using it. Any specific things I should be aware of?

Thanks everyone... again.
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Jeremy, cob doesn't have any wheat in it but you could give it a try. Might be real tasty, your going to need to add some molasses though...
Rclark12
Bootlegger

Post by Rclark12 »

^ I know alot of people like the taste molasses brings to the table but it might even be worth trying to do a batch with just sugar or trying an all grain with some of the molasses free and then compare it to stuff you add molasses too. You never know when you will stumble upon a great beverage
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jbird1992 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:That's scary , Rastus . I had planned to set a 40 gallon batch in a 44 gallon fermenter . If what you have is typical I need to get a bigger boat or go fishing for a smaller shark .

I run a 20 Gal ferment and get about 70% to run. That is if (IF) you keep up with the grain bed pretty good. One thing to note is I have almost eliminated the oats and they seem to swell up the most so you may get a little less if you run a lot of oats. I also let it settle real good (3-4 days after finished) so I can rack off right down to the grain bed with out gettn any yeast.
I'm picking up 50 pounds of barley Friday (thanks to a tip from wv hillbilly) . Had planned to set a batch Sunday of 30/30/30/10 that I've read here . Anyone recommending that I change those proportions before I start mixing ? I'm open to suggestion .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Rclark12 wrote:^ I know alot of people like the taste molasses brings to the table but it might even be worth trying to do a batch with just sugar or trying an all grain with some of the molasses free and then compare it to stuff you add molasses too. You never know when you will stumble upon a great beverage
Very true Clark, one of the fun things about this hobby is just trying new things. Might be a winner. :D
Rclark12
Bootlegger

Post by Rclark12 »

Yes I make so many different kinds of wash/mash. I will be trying sf with rye and doing some rye/corn ujssm as well. Im going to mess with sweet feed a bit too. For some reason Im just so convinced rye could do great things, of coarse I could be all wrong. Some times its a winner sometimes its a tough drink, only one way to find out, got to love 5 gallon bucket ferments for that very reason. Im not sure if for my first sour mash strip run I should run this a little slow and try to collect some single run drinkable stuff or im just better off stripping it all out for a spirit run to mix with the low wines from the first generation, good thing I got 2-3 days left to decide
jbird1992
Bootlegger

Post by jbird1992 »

Truckinbutch wrote:
jbird1992 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:That's scary , Rastus . I had planned to set a 40 gallon batch in a 44 gallon fermenter . If what you have is typical I need to get a bigger boat or go fishing for a smaller shark .

I run a 20 Gal ferment and get about 70% to run. That is if (IF) you keep up with the grain bed pretty good. One thing to note is I have almost eliminated the oats and they seem to swell up the most so you may get a little less if you run a lot of oats. I also let it settle real good (3-4 days after finished) so I can rack off right down to the grain bed with out gettn any yeast.
I'm picking up 50 pounds of barley Friday (thanks to a tip from wv hillbilly) . Had planned to set a batch Sunday of 30/30/30/10 that I've read here . Anyone recommending that I change those proportions before I start mixing ? I'm open to suggestion .

Try it that way and see what you think. Adjust as you go to perfect your style. I didn't like my first run but my dad LOVED it

I found I didn't care for the oats but I think it might age very well. The more corn you use seems to be better white :thumbup: just now at the oaking stage. I will say this no matter what you get off first keep going and by gen4 its no comparison to 1. I have gen 5 ready to run will keep ya posted
The only barrier to truth is the assumption you already have it

My Stuff
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36697
dpotstill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dpotstill »

In Pacific Northwest it has been hard to find sweet feed without pellets, but today I found wet C.O.B (corn, oats, & barley) the wet is the molassas. I guess there's a dry form too.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

dpotstill wrote:In Pacific Northwest it has been hard to find sweet feed without pellets, but today I found wet C.O.B (corn, oats, & barley) the wet is the molassas. I guess there's a dry form too.
Yes, same here. Wet COB & dry COB. Me, I think I will start adding cracked corn to my SF wash. I think I want more corn flavor. But more importantly, it's something I made...
cooper6005
Novice

Post by cooper6005 »

Ok....might be a stupid question but...if fermenting in carboy what's the best way to get rig of spent grains and add new grain?
God only gives us what we can handle....apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass!!!!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

most ferment in a bucket,then rack to a carboy if they want.
Rclark12
Bootlegger

Post by Rclark12 »

Jbird to notice the difference in generation are you running a stripping run on each gen individually ? Or do you mix low wines from several generations together ? That's how I do it am I cheating myself of some quality doing it that way ? I do low wines from for ex first and second gen low wines and water it down under 40 percent, would I be netter off not using first gen low wines for a true sour mash spirit?
shawn2974
Novice

Post by shawn2974 »

Hi guys,
I stopped at my local feed store and picked up a sac of sweet feed. ( No ,No pellets) . Plans are to mash it like i do beer with the addition on the sugar. Im going for a 10 gal wash . What yall think about a single pass through my 4 plate column. will the flavors carry over in the finish product? I been wanting to run this sweetfeed wash for a while now. Any idea on what the SG should be. ?
CabinetGuy
Novice

Post by CabinetGuy »

I actually reran that batch and filtered it so it was palatable. I then made it into Apple Pie and it was amazing how fast one jar went down and how hard it was to focus when I stood up...

Since then I've moved on to NCHooch's recipe as well as experimenting. I have 3 - 5gal batches of various concoctions bubbling as we speak plus my g/f decided to try her hand at it and is making 3gal of strawberry wine.

Good thing I "work" from home so I can research all of these recipes and whatnot's :lol:
Rclark12
Bootlegger

Post by Rclark12 »

shawn2974 wrote:Hi guys,
I stopped at my local feed store and picked up a sac of sweet feed. ( No ,No pellets) . Plans are to mash it like i do beer with the addition on the sugar. Im going for a 10 gal wash . What yall think about a single pass through my 4 plate column. will the flavors carry over in the finish product? I been wanting to run this sweetfeed wash for a while now. Any idea on what the SG should be. ?
My understanding- you wont get any benefit from mashing the sweet feed unless your adding malted grains any way so your just making starch and wasting some time, Mite as well just heat up sugar water and pour it into a bucket of sweet feed, or pour water first then do sugar your choice. Cant remember what my sg was but Im going to guess some where around 1.07 (ballpark guess though)
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

shawn2974 wrote:Hi guys,
Your four plate will run this really well, I've got five plates and still get lots of flavor, good luck.
jbird1992
Bootlegger

Post by jbird1992 »

Rclark12 wrote:Jbird to notice the difference in generation are you running a stripping run on each gen individually ? Or do you mix low wines from several generations together ? That's how I do it am I cheating myself of some quality doing it that way ? I do low wines from for ex first and second gen low wines and water it down under 40 percent, would I be netter off not using first gen low wines for a true sour mash spirit?

I am running single runs in my pot still with thumper. My results are fantastic first go round no need for spirit run on my set up. :thumbup:

My Stuff
Rclark12
Bootlegger

Post by Rclark12 »

I've been considering a thumper, what are you throwing in there, mash or low wines? Having a thumper would be nice. Do you run it slow like a spirit run or quick? So is any body else out there double distiling this and know if im losing the beneficial taste of a later generation by mixing with low wines from earlier generations for a spirit run?
shawn2974
Novice

Post by shawn2974 »

I got a sweetfeed wash going yesterday . If it distills and produces a finish product like it smell rite now then its gonna be great. I used 30 gal fermenter, 20lb sweetfeed, 15lb white sugar,5 lb brown sugar, and i made a yeast starter earlier in the week for a batch of beer i had intended on brewing but thought this was more important so i used it. I used wyeast 1007. SG was 1.075.
DNSBlack
Novice

Post by DNSBlack »

Made my first mash using sweet feed and didnt read this section prior. My question is this

The sweet feed I purchased has pellets along with cracked corn oat rye and molasses in it. My mash is about read and I just want to make sure it is safe. Iam not sure what is in the pellets but the label list has an ingredient of other plant products. So is it ok to run this even tho the sweet feed had pellets and does anyone really know what is in the pelllets.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

DNSBlack wrote:Made my first mash using sweet feed and didnt read this section prior. My question is this

The sweet feed I purchased has pellets along with cracked corn oat rye and molasses in it. My mash is about read and I just want to make sure it is safe. Iam not sure what is in the pellets but the label list has an ingredient of other plant products. So is it ok to run this even tho the sweet feed had pellets and does anyone really know what is in the pelllets.
Read this topic from the start and you will find that your question has been answered many times, as have several other questions you don't even know you have yet... :idea: :eugeek:
jbird1992
Bootlegger

Post by jbird1992 »

Rclark12 wrote:I've been considering a thumper, what are you throwing in there, mash or low wines? Having a thumper would be nice. Do you run it slow like a spirit run or quick? So is any body else out there double distiling this and know if im losing the beneficial taste of a later generation by mixing with low wines from earlier generations for a spirit run?

I run all my tails or the last 3 quarts of my run and this time I put jar #2 in as well, then dilute to get it over the dip tube. I run a pretty good pace barely a broken stream. I tried it VERY slow and it didn't make much difference.

My last run started at 80% and all my hearts were above 60% with out a thumper this would not be possible I don't think :thumbup:

My Stuff
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

shawn2974 wrote:I got a sweetfeed wash going yesterday . If it distills and produces a finish product like it smell rite now then its gonna be great. I used 30 gal fermenter, 20lb sweetfeed, 15lb white sugar,5 lb brown sugar, and i made a yeast starter earlier in the week for a batch of beer i had intended on brewing but thought this was more important so i used it. I used wyeast 1007. SG was 1.075.
Now I'm gettin confused all over again . Fixin to set a ferment Sunday or Monday using KS's 30 gallon mix that calls for 50 pounds of sugar for the batch . (Head-scratch) Hell of a difference between 20 and 50 pounds of sugar in the same mix . Can anyone help me out here before I go wrong ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
jbird1992
Bootlegger

Post by jbird1992 »

That sounds a bit high to me. I would do 30-35# of sugar on a 30 gallon ferment

BUT what do I know :eh:

My Stuff
Harley Wolf
Novice

Post by Harley Wolf »

DNSBlack wrote:Made my first mash using sweet feed and didnt read this section prior. My question is this

Many will tell you not to use pellets. I've been using the pellets as I did not want to waste them. I use a reflux still and a little flavor comes thru, so far its no one has died from drinking this and they keep asking for more. I'm only about 1/3 of the way thru a 50 lb sack. Run it and decide for yourself.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Truckinbutch wrote:
shawn2974 wrote:I got a sweetfeed wash going yesterday . If it distills and produces a finish product like it smell rite now then its gonna be great. I used 30 gal fermenter, 20lb sweetfeed, 15lb white sugar,5 lb brown sugar, and i made a yeast starter earlier in the week for a batch of beer i had intended on brewing but thought this was more important so i used it. I used wyeast 1007. SG was 1.075.
Now I'm gettin confused all over again . Fixin to set a ferment Sunday or Monday using KS's 30 gallon mix that calls for 50 pounds of sugar for the batch . (Head-scratch) Hell of a difference between 20 and 50 pounds of sugar in the same mix . Can anyone help me out here before I go wrong ?
http://homedistiller.org/sugar/wash-sugar/sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

BLUF, 44 lbs of sugar in a 30 gal wash will get you about 10.3% wash.
shawn2974
Novice

Post by shawn2974 »

Yea ill help you, I used 20 sweetfeed made here at the local feed mill, a 30 gal fermenter (all i had that was free) , a total of 20lb sugar broke up as i decribed before from the local sugar cane mill , 16 gallons of water, my SG was 1.075 . I wasnt going off of anyone particular recipe i was simply trying something new. I may be new to the distilling world but im not stranger to brewing and the use of a hydrometer. If im in the wrong room by stepping outside of the recipe ill gladly leave . I brew and distill to satisfy me and my taste . If it come out shitty well the feed mill is right down the road .
ctrlaltdel3t3
Novice

Post by ctrlaltdel3t3 »

does any one know what the SG and FG of this recipe is? Also how long does it take for the wash to finish out.
McShiner
Novice

Post by McShiner »

My first batch is racked as of 4/11. Started 3/29.
S.G. was 1.088-1.090 (4 5gal buckets)
F.G. Was 0.988-0.992 (2 5gal water carboys)

Again this is my first attempt. One thing I did different...I heated 5 gallons of water to 150* F then added sugar. Dissolved sugar then added it to my 4 buckets evenly. Topped off the buckets with bottled water to bring each up to 5 gallons. Stirred well, added yeast at 90*F, stirred well again. Covered, air locked, and waited impatiently.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by McShiner on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

shawn2974 wrote:Yea ill help you, I used 20 sweetfeed made here at the local feed mill, a 30 gal fermenter (all i had that was free) , a total of 20lb sugar broke up as i decribed before from the local sugar cane mill , 16 gallons of water, my SG was 1.075 . I wasnt going off of anyone particular recipe i was simply trying something new. I may be new to the distilling world but im not stranger to brewing and the use of a hydrometer. If im in the wrong room by stepping outside of the recipe ill gladly leave . I brew and distill to satisfy me and my taste . If it come out shitty well the feed mill is right down the road .
I think you are posting in the right place and I had no intention of offending you . I think my question was valid as this will be the first mix I set and don't want to do it wrong .