sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shawn2974
Novice

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by shawn2974 »

10-4 my whiskey makin brother, I'm just trying make a product I'm proud of, no offense takin. We are all in this to learn and to teach. Ill keep u posted on the process I got going . As of now she bubbling like crazy
MAD AL
Novice

Post by MAD AL »

this is a gallon of my sweetfeed after soaking on JD wood chips for a couple a weeks. alan
fishin shootin, strongdrink an the odd bad woman can life get any better
Da Yooper
Swill Maker

Post by Da Yooper »

Started a 5 gal. batch of sweet feed tonight, 4lbs sweet feed, 5lbs sugar and pitched the yeast at 80 degrees. I've read so much on how good this sweet feed whiskey is ,I thought I would try it and see for myself .
Fail to plan == plan to fail
Da Yooper
Swill Maker

Post by Da Yooper »

Mad Al, thats a fine lookin jug of sweet feed you got on oak ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :clap:
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

It's good stuff yooper :D
Da Yooper
Swill Maker

Post by Da Yooper »

This ferment is going nutz ,none stop bubbles. Wife thinks I'm going to blow up the kitchen LOL :crazy:
southern traditions
Novice

Post by southern traditions »

Truckinbutch wrote:
shawn2974 wrote:I got a sweetfeed wash going yesterday . If it distills and produces a finish product like it smell rite now then its gonna be great. I used 30 gal fermenter, 20lb sweetfeed, 15lb white sugar,5 lb brown sugar, and i made a yeast starter earlier in the week for a batch of beer i had intended on brewing but thought this was more important so i used it. I used wyeast 1007. SG was 1.075.
Now I'm gettin confused all over again . Fixin to set a ferment Sunday or Monday using KS's 30 gallon mix that calls for 50 pounds of sugar for the batch . (Head-scratch) Hell of a difference between 20 and 50 pounds of sugar in the same mix . Can anyone help me out here before I go wrong ?

Hey Truck,
Don't get to confused, stick to the original recipe and you'll be ok.. Alot of people around here tweak recipe's to their own liking and experiment, just like Shawn in the post you quoted above. I personally use a lil less white sugar in some recipes then alot of other people, keeping my starting SG lower. Its all just personal preference for the most part...

Martin
Stillatryin
Novice

Post by Stillatryin »

Gents, I'm somewhat confused. I just got my sweetfeed from my source in Kentucky. No pellets. I want to start fermenting this evening 15 gals. In the very first couple posts that KS and Tater made, KS recommended 5 packets or 8 tablespoons of yeast. Then tater says 1 package... I've read enough to know that too much yeast will produce off flavors.... Can someone straighten this out before I screw up a good thing?
Double K
Novice

Post by Double K »

Just curious if anyone gets an extremely sweet/sour product from recycling their grain. I've recycled it at least 5 times. My mash smells extremely sour and then my product has a really sweet and sour aftertaste. It also Burns like crazy when u drink it. I normally get a smoother product and not so sour from my recycled grain. First time I've got a product like this. Any advice or anyone have a similar experience?
Stillatryin
Novice

Post by Stillatryin »

Stillatryin wrote:Gents, I'm somewhat confused. I just got my sweetfeed from my source in Kentucky. No pellets. I want to start fermenting this evening 15 gals. In the very first couple posts that KS and Tater made, KS recommended 5 packets or 8 tablespoons of yeast. Then tater says 1 package... I've read enough to know that too much yeast will produce off flavors.... Can someone straighten this out before I screw up a good thing?
Ok, I should have researched before I asked. The parent site recommended up to 4 grams per gallon of mash... in this case, I think we're dealing with a grain and molassas flavored wash. A gallon bucket of SF puts about 3.5 inches in a 5gal bucket. I added 6lbs of white sugar and a 12oz bottle of dark molassas, 5 teaspoons of yeast nutrients, and one "one-a-day" vitamins per fermenter. I pitched the yeast at 95 degrees farenheit. One hour after I put the lids and air locks she's bubbling away.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

southern traditions wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:
shawn2974 wrote:I got a sweetfeed wash going yesterday . If it distills and produces a finish product like it smell rite now then its gonna be great. I used 30 gal fermenter, 20lb sweetfeed, 15lb white sugar,5 lb brown sugar, and i made a yeast starter earlier in the week for a batch of beer i had intended on brewing but thought this was more important so i used it. I used wyeast 1007. SG was 1.075.
Now I'm gettin confused all over again . Fixin to set a ferment Sunday or Monday using KS's 30 gallon mix that calls for 50 pounds of sugar for the batch . (Head-scratch) Hell of a difference between 20 and 50 pounds of sugar in the same mix . Can anyone help me out here before I go wrong ?

Hey Truck,
Don't get to confused, stick to the original recipe and you'll be ok.. Alot of people around here tweak recipe's to their own liking and experiment, just like Shawn in the post you quoted above. I personally use a lil less white sugar in some recipes then alot of other people, keeping my starting SG lower. Its all just personal preference for the most part...

Martin
Thanks . That's what I'm gonna do . Wade in slowly and decide if this is the hole I want to be swimmin in .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Da Yooper
Swill Maker

Post by Da Yooper »

SF ferment is going real good, none stop bubbles. OK before I get started I'll tell ya my hydrometer doesn't have a SG scale.(yes I know I need to get one) but this is all I got for now. Scales are---pot. ABV% and sugar % (brix). There is a red line at 2.2% on the sugar side Which when the ferment gets to that point I'll call it done , does this sound right? When I started the reading was-- sugar 15% and pot. ABV% was 5% . Today it is sugar 7% and ABV 9% after 2 1/2 days. Triple scale has been ordered.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Da Yooper wrote:SF ferment is going real good, none stop bubbles. OK before I get started I'll tell ya my hydrometer doesn't have a SG scale.(yes I know I need to get one) but this is all I got for now. Scales are---pot. ABV% and sugar % (brix). There is a red line at 2.2% on the sugar side Which when the ferment gets to that point I'll call it done , does this sound right? When I started the reading was-- sugar 15% and pot. ABV% was 5% . Today it is sugar 7% and ABV 9% after 2 1/2 days. Triple scale has been ordered.
Just let it go until it stops bubbling. Most of these sugar and grain washes will finnish below 0 on a potential abv scale.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Stillatryin
Novice

Post by Stillatryin »

No way.... I started this ferment Sunday eve and it bubbled like crazy all day monday. It's tuesday am and I observed one bubble from one fermenter. Any guesses here?
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Stillatryin wrote:No way.... I started this ferment Sunday eve and it bubbled like crazy all day monday. It's tuesday am and I observed one bubble from one fermenter. Any guesses here?
How warm is your ferment? how tight is your lid? if it is cool it'll go slow, my larger fermenter has a loose fitted lid also my buckets dont have a seal so the bubblers dont bubble much may be the case for you too...
if you listen to the ferment does it sound like rice crispies or frying bacon? if so then your doing OK
another good sign is if the oats have floated up to make a cap of grain at the top mine is usually 2 inches thick... that shows its working...

not sure if this helps but a few things to observe and consider

if your running 2 fermenters i had one on another recipe go slower than the other for some reason and had to wait longer for it to finish up... but it did

good luck

Rastus
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Double K
Novice

Post by Double K »

One thing that helped me a lot when I first started was getting rid of my lids and bubblers and just using Saran wrap. Cut off two pieces the big enough to cover the top of your bucket.....either stretch them accross and leave them as is.......or if your the type that likes to keep it air tight...run some tape around the rim to seal it off. Make sure you make some pinholes in the plastic for it to breathe. This way you can see every step of your fermentation. Ill never use a lid or airlock again.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

That's funny, K. Neither do I.

I am currently doing most of my fermenting in trash bins. Extremely cheap. Just a towel over them and everything is fine.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Stillatryin
Novice

Post by Stillatryin »

Odin wrote:That's funny, K. Neither do I.

I am currently doing most of my fermenting in trash bins. Extremely cheap. Just a towel over them and everything is fine.

Odin.
Thanks fellows, I'm getting some 15 gal fermenters in a few days. I'll give the saran wrap thing a try. My lids are airtight though... I clean the rubber seals and the buckets see no other use than fermentation. My question now, how do you gents know when your beer is ready? SG? Im presuming. BTW, I watched the the 3 airlocks for several minutes and there's a bubble about every 2 minutes.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Some take sg readings, some don't. I don't, since they ar off by definition. Fake certainty. If you want to know your beers abv: run it, collect 1/3. If it is 30% low wines, the beer will have been 10%.

Done? When it is done bubbling. Put a finger in and taste. Sweetness? Not done yet. Sour? Done. Not certain? Wait for another day or two. That's when the most interesting esters are formed.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Rclark12
Bootlegger

Post by Rclark12 »

Odin wrote:That's funny, K. Neither do I.

Odin.
Do you use white plastic cans? Or look for specific plastic? I always see everyone stressing using food grade around here. I'd love a garbage can sized condensor so might follow your lead on that .
One-Eyed Jack Carter
Novice

Post by One-Eyed Jack Carter »

All righty now. Just picked up a bag of COB Sweet Feed. Been considering using this recipe for years. THIS is the year! :thumbup: Now if the dern weather would warm up. Happy Shinin' Jack
"I get 180 proof whisky from my copper line still...if the whisky don't kill me then the Sheriff will." song- Livin'on Moonshine and the Blues by One-Eyed Jack Carter
Stillatryin
Novice

Post by Stillatryin »

Odin wrote:Some take sg readings, some don't. I don't, since they ar off by definition. Fake certainty. If you want to know your beers abv: run it, collect 1/3. If it is 30% low wines, the beer will have been 10%.

Done? When it is done bubbling. Put a finger in and taste. Sweetness? Not done yet. Sour? Done. Not certain? Wait for another day or two. That's when the most interesting esters are formed.

Odin.
Just what I need. Interesting esters... kinda like, "Fred, there ain't no fool like an old fool." Aunt Esther... LOL

All joking aside, I'm going to open the fermenters tommorrow and check things out. I'm either racking or dumping.
surveypunk
Novice

Post by surveypunk »

Hi kids,
Looking for the SKU for Tractor Supply all grain. The good stuff.
I know it's here but damned if I can find it.

Thanks,
JB
surveypunk
Novice

Post by surveypunk »

Eh- hem!
With due diligence, found it myself.

SKU5021132

On with the party!
JB
Stillatryin
Novice

Post by Stillatryin »

Guys, I don't know where I effed up. Had top line sweet feed, zero pellets. I added more yeast than was necessary. I added some yeast nutriants. It bubbled hard all day long and slowly befor it quit after about 36 hours. I opened the vessels today and tasted the beer. Not sweet at all. So, I went to the beer brew store and got an SG meter. My brew measured exactly 1.000. I'm embaressed. The tempt in our house never fell below 70 degrees. I'm wondering if I pitched yeast with beer too hot ... (just under 100F.) I'm getting some more sugar and pouring out all this failure. My first ferment went much better.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Stillatryin wrote:Guys, I don't know where I effed up. Had top line sweet feed, zero pellets. I added more yeast than was necessary. I added some yeast nutriants. It bubbled hard all day long and slowly befor it quit after about 36 hours. I opened the vessels today and tasted the beer. Not sweet at all. So, I went to the beer brew store and got an SG meter. My brew measured exactly 1.000. I'm embaressed. The tempt in our house never fell below 70 degrees. I'm wondering if I pitched yeast with beer too hot ... (just under 100F.) I'm getting some more sugar and pouring out all this failure. My first ferment went much better.
That's a fine SG for a worked out ferment containing some molasses like SF does. Run it DON'T THROW IT OUT
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MAD AL
Novice

Post by MAD AL »

Stillatryin wrote:Guys, I don't know where I effed up. Had top line sweet feed, zero pellets. I added more yeast than was necessary. I added some yeast nutriants. It bubbled hard all day long and slowly befor it quit after about 36 hours. I opened the vessels today and tasted the beer. Not sweet at all. So, I went to the beer brew store and got an SG meter. My brew measured exactly 1.000. I'm embaressed. The tempt in our house never fell below 70 degrees. I'm wondering if I pitched yeast with beer too hot ... (just under 100F.) I'm getting some more sugar and pouring out all this failure. My first ferment went much better.
Don't throw it out i have had a dozen or more that for one reason or another have finished at 1000
alan
fishin shootin, strongdrink an the odd bad woman can life get any better
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

" (SG of 1.000.)....I'm getting some more sugar and pouring out all this failure. My first ferment went much better.) :eh: ?

What's that all about? I've been tinkering with AG mashes, (after a 'life with SF'). SF and sugar makes a good faux whiskey. I'm drinking it all up while I tinker with All Grain mashes, and right now I'd be ecstatic with an SG of 1.000. My AG's OGs have been running at about 1.054, with a finish in the realm of SG 1.010. :(

An SG of1.000 would indicate to me that you've achieved a very high conversion of sugars to alcohol....run it and be proud!

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Fellas, it's done when it's done. Taste it and see. Just don't taste TOO much, or ye may become addicted. Not that I know what I am talking about...

1.00 is fine for a SF. I was told that due to molasses, it often finishes higher than plain sugar. I ran mine at 1.002. (My BW finishes around .990) If it tastes sweet, it ain't done. If it's tart, rack it off, let it settle a day or three, then rack it again and run it. I was convinced as to the value of a double rack when I tasted a friend's output that had only been racked out of the ferment vessel and ran right away. YeccchhhhH!!

I use a hydrometer still cuz I'm still learning a lot, but I can already see why it isn't necessary when following a "Tried ~n~ True" recipe. They just work. How much alcohol do they produce? However much they do. I don't care, as much of my first readings here said to ignore the need for greed. Great advice! I use about 6-8 lbs of sugar in a wash, and about 3 lbs in the rice vodka I am now fermenting. Yeast, I use the cheapest bread yeast I can find locally (though I am about to buy 2 pounds on Amazon, saving a ton vs. local), and I use about 2 tbsp per 5 gallon wash (That's 17 gm or 0.6 oz according to: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversi ... erter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow)

I am only on my third generation of SF, but already have some mixed up as Apple Pie, and though it's a tad too sweet, I plan to use some of that clear stuff from my next run to tone down the brown sugar a bit. Mmmmmmmmm, good!!
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Odin wrote:Some take sg readings, some don't. I don't, since they ar off by definition. Fake certainty. If you want to know your beers abv: run it, collect 1/3. If it is 30% low wines, the beer will have been 10%.

Odin.
+2

Last run, I fermented about a week, intending to run it on the weekend. Then my weekend was taken from me, so I left it in the fermenter another 5 days, racked it for 3 days, and it was nice and sour. And the output? Outstanding in the middle 1/3.