sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Hell ya
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

just ran my first batch of the sweet feed last night, and its looking to be something good! you were right KY,,, somewhere about hte middle does seem good enough to pinch a little from :ewink: . i got alot of ideas for aging this, and cant wait to get past the 3/4 generation. (if i can keep my paws out of it).
ill keep ya posted as it goes.
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

It got a completely different taste than the straight corn. I personally think it much smoother. Not near the bite of straight corn likker.
KS
Congrats on your success
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am running first batch of all grain cooked sweetfeed now.. I really anxious to see how this comes out.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

ill cut this to 80 proof, and itll make about 6 quarts. guess ill put 3 back, and help myself to the other 3. havent tasted yet,,, but this stuff smells too good!
spooky
Attachments
DSCF3218.JPG
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
richard
Novice

Post by richard »

Can this be run through a reflux, and if so what results could be expected ?
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

yes I have run through reflux.. You will loose allot flavor but it is really nice and smooth. If I were going to reflux I would not do much. So you will carry over more flavor. It makes a really nice whiskey with a little sweet to it.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I guess this recipe has become my mainstay. I am on my third 50# bag of it and have yet to have a wash fail or stuck. So far everyone who has tasted next to all corn 100% love the sweetfeed whiskey.
Just my experiance.. Mind you I only use the all grain. I have done as many as 6 generations, but have not went further yet.
KS
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

I mentioned this in another thread but I thought it ought to go here too. Make sure you find out whats in your sweet feed before you buy. I recently bought a bag at a local feed store only to get it home and read that it contained propionic acid and sodium benzoate. These are yeast inhibiting preservatives that you probably dont want in your wash. I didnt try a ferment with this stuff so I dont actually know that it contained enough to inhibit fermentation but dnderhead said something about sodium bezoate being converted to benzene. Yikes! Most sweet feed does NOT contain these chemicals ,just make sure you know what your getting.
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

here is the tag off of the sweet feed that I use for my sweet feed wash. You can read all of the ingredients here.
Attachments
Sweet feed.jpg
xjrockstomper
Novice

Post by xjrockstomper »

Can any one post up a picture of a sweet feed wash just before racking? I want to compare to what mine was looking like. I had a SUPER dark color to mine and was curious to know if that was normal.
XJ
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well there it is propionic acid and sodium benzoate. I suppose the quantities are small enough as to not affect fermentation. Was just about to put on my first all bran wash last nite when i read KS's grain bill sooo... I went to my neighbors and took back his horse feed. Muwhaha. He didnt mind and certainly wont in a week or two when its done. I figure if its good enough for Kentucky Shinner its good enough for me. Thats right I'm puttin it all on you. :ewink: Put it together accordin to recipe and threw the all bran in there just for shizz and giggles. Checked it this morning and its fermenting happily. Thanks KS. Do you usually take out some grain and replace on each generation when sour mashin this recipe? Im also thinkin about droppin a big dollup of blackstrap in with my sugar when i backset to make up whats lost in fermentation.
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

xjrockstomper wrote:Can any one post up a picture of a sweet feed wash just before racking? I want to compare to what mine was looking like. I had a SUPER dark color to mine and was curious to know if that was normal.
XJ
Yes that is normal. I dont have a pic but the next wash I do I will post pics from start to finish. It is a very dark wash. This is from the molasses. No worry rack it and run it.
KS
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Smokehouse Shiner wrote:Well there it is propionic acid and sodium benzoate. I suppose the quantities are small enough as to not affect fermentation. Was just about to put on my first all bran wash last nite when i read KS's grain bill sooo... I went to my neighbors and took back his horse feed. Muwhaha. He didnt mind and certainly wont in a week or two when its done. I figure if its good enough for Kentucky Shinner its good enough for me. Thats right I'm puttin it all on you. :ewink: Put it together accordin to recipe and threw the all bran in there just for shizz and giggles. Checked it this morning and its fermenting happily. Thanks KS. Do you usually take out some grain and replace on each generation when sour mashin this recipe? Im also thinkin about droppin a big dollup of blackstrap in with my sugar when i backset to make up whats lost in fermentation.
Yes I do remove the spent grain, then add back with new.. I think adding the blackstrap is a great idea. I have really had great success with this wash. I have never had one fail to finish.
Hope you like it...
KS
xjrockstomper
Novice

Post by xjrockstomper »

I dont have the wash still it was full of vinegar and i figured i did not want to chance it. I figure with my still getting built and i should have it here in the next few weeks. that will give me time to get another wash going that will use an air lock and i can watch it like i should with the hydrometer should make for success the second time around.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

xjrockstomper wrote:I dont have the wash still it was full of vinegar and i figured i did not want to chance it. I figure with my still getting built and i should have it here in the next few weeks. that will give me time to get another wash going that will use an air lock and i can watch it like i should with the hydrometer should make for success the second time around.
It will be very dark, Like a really dark beer. Just taste it if your in doubt. Honestly I think the wash tasted pretty good myself.. when it is finished it will have a dry taste to it, kind of bitter also.. I have kept mine as long as 2 weeks after it has finished and it was fine.. keep us posted.
xjrockstomper
Novice

Post by xjrockstomper »

thanks KS i will get the next batch fermenting this next weekend.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Just did the cuts on my first batch of Sweet Feed. Absolutely delicious! Ended up at 90 proof with no dilution and thats where I'm leavin it. Sweet, heavy and oh so smooth. Kept the yeast goin and backset about 1/3 of the mash. Can't wait for the next generation. Thanks KS
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Smokehouse Shiner wrote:Absolutely delicious! Ended up at 90 proof with no dilution and thats where I'm leavin it.

How you drankin that Smokehouse?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Well KS there's two for sure endorsements.Looks like this recipe has made it to tried and true.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

WTG SHINNER.
Gone to the big house with yer bad self.

As they say:
The proof is in the pudding
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

LWTCS wrote:WTG SHINNER.
Gone to the big house with yer bad self.

As they say:
The proof is in the pudding
The Proof is in the Likker :D :D :D its like my first born child :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

LWTCS wrote:How you drankin that Smokehouse?
Sippin lightly chilled right out the bottle.Woo Hoo! Tried and True! :D Nice job KS!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Kentucky shinner wrote:The Proof is in the Likker
Indeed.
Kentucky shinner wrote:its like my first born child
Ok, now yer gettin a lil freaky. Fame gone to yer head already? :lol: :lol:

Nice work dude.
Yungin
Novice

Post by Yungin »

Props on makin it to tried and true been wonderin when it was Gonna make it.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

hell yea!!!!!!
running me some right now!

congrats KY
spooky
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

rockchucker22 wrote:Added yeast and it is popen like fresh popcorn on a castiron skilet!
:ebiggrin: Ya plenty of nutrients in the sweetfeed. It normally works like hell hell for a few days then it will slow down some.. Let er roll man.
KS
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

here is another grain bill for the sweet feed. This one is a little cheaper and works equally as well.
Attachments
favorite mix (200x640).jpg
0re0
Bootlegger

Post by 0re0 »

will be trying this real soon
Called today to price sweet feed locally

50lb mixed Sweet Feed, No Pellets - $10.99
BUUUUUUUUUUURP!
My 1st Rum Run
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great man I hope you like as well as I do... Let us know how it goes...
KS