sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by Deplorable »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 am I was trying to read through where I mentioned I had some that I gave to my buddy that sat for a year.

I was shocked at the rich vanilla and creme brulee profile. However I have to note, after further consideration and doing some testing with vanilla beans, I'm over 90% positive that I added a little bit of vanilla extract to it. Probably a half ounce per gallon if I remember correctly.

Just wanted that out there in case someone stumbled upon that description I provided, expecting those results. I don't think it's accurate because it didn't account for what I'm very positive was a slight vanilla extract addition.

What I can vouch for though is the claim that vanilla extract gets better with age: absolutely. Especially when it's on white sweet feed for a year, it contributes a wonderful natural tasting vanilla bouquet and flavor
I just finished checking on my 2 gallons of SF. It's been on charred oak sticks at 63% since September and the vanilla is becoming more prevalent on the nose. I'd say it's getting close to being ready to start sipping. I'm going to put one of the jugs in the back of the shed to forget about. The other I'll start sipping this summer.
Resized_20210217_103818(1).jpeg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 am
Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 am I was trying to read through where I mentioned I had some that I gave to my buddy that sat for a year.

I was shocked at the rich vanilla and creme brulee profile. However I have to note, after further consideration and doing some testing with vanilla beans, I'm over 90% positive that I added a little bit of vanilla extract to it. Probably a half ounce per gallon if I remember correctly.

Just wanted that out there in case someone stumbled upon that description I provided, expecting those results. I don't think it's accurate because it didn't account for what I'm very positive was a slight vanilla extract addition.

What I can vouch for though is the claim that vanilla extract gets better with age: absolutely. Especially when it's on white sweet feed for a year, it contributes a wonderful natural tasting vanilla bouquet and flavor
I just finished checking on my 2 gallons of SF. It's been on charred oak sticks at 63% since September and the vanilla is becoming more prevalent on the nose. I'd say it's getting close to being ready to start sipping. I'm going to put one of the jugs in the back of the shed to forget about. The other I'll start sipping this summer.
Resized_20210217_103818(1).jpeg
Nice jugs man I have rum like that
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thanks. It was pretty good stuff white. A drank about half a gallon of what I made as white. This is all that's left of a 50# bag of feed. All the feints were refluxed. They cleaned up really nice with just the slightest hint of flavor. All that made 2 qts of SPD, a qt of peach, and another qt of 93% to use later.
Last month when I checked it, it was at that awkward stage where you think you might have fucked it all up, but its turning a corner now.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Haven't tried sf yet maybe I should?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:53 pm Haven't tried sf yet maybe I should?
It's inexpensive, good flavor, and easy. How it stacks up against a good AG whisky of the same grains I can't say because I haven't made an all grain corn, oats and Barley spirit yet.
Not even sure if I'll make it again TBH. AG isn't that hard, and it's only a little bit more cost than sugar and animal feed per 90 proof bottle.
I've got a few bourbon mash bills to try yet before I decide if I want to make more of this, and 2 gallons will last a good while.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I make wineos wash all the time for my wife's girly drinks and I drink the ag for myself
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Yes. Not only should...I argue, must!
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 pm
It's inexpensive, good flavor, and easy. How it stacks up against a good AG whisky of the same grains I can't say because I haven't made an all grain corn, oats and Barley spirit yet.
Not even sure if I'll make it again TBH. AG isn't that hard, and it's only a little bit more cost than sugar and animal feed per 90 proof bottle.
I've got a few bourbon mash bills to try yet before I decide if I want to make more of this, and 2 gallons will last a good while.

this is so interesting because with the feed grade cracked corn I can't keep my hands off my only AG bourbon I've ever made with that is the base, plus oats, plus multiply from the LHBS. I don't think there's any comparison between sugar heads and AG.

I'm so excited to do a proper tried and true Booner's recipe, because I just can't keep my hands off my AG Bourbon, and I think the all corn is going to be a real delight. I only kept one jar of stuff less loosely cut from the aging stock. that will for sure be my white sipper
ismbardbrunel123
Novice

Post by ismbardbrunel123 »

Done a second SF...my first is just finishing, 35 litres...and finishing very quickly, my second is a 20 U.S. Gallon, 76 litre, but noticed the cap is about 3 inches thick,(similar to the first) i sink it all every 12 hours....as i believe it needs to be under water to be doing it's job, i.e. releasing flavour......is everyone else experiencing this?..It is a fantastic quick moving bill......I bought corn,oats and barley from local farms...added molasses
Do you sink the cap or leave it...?
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

I stir the cap twice daily. No sanitizer, just stir it up
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I never touch the ferment. Pour it all in the fermenter, hang the stocking of oyster shells, pitch yeast and walk away. Open it a week later and run it. It is always done. I have an aquarium heater in there to keep it warm. What is the benefit of stirring it up? With a fruit where there is a real cap with skins punching it down lets the co2 out and prevents overheating. Only thing I make that I punch down is plum must.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

ismbardbrunel123 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:03 pm Done a second SF...my first is just finishing, 35 litres...and finishing very quickly, my second is a 20 U.S. Gallon, 76 litre, but noticed the cap is about 3 inches thick,(similar to the first) i sink it all every 12 hours....as i believe it needs to be under water to be doing it's job, i.e. releasing flavour......is everyone else experiencing this?..It is a fantastic quick moving bill......I bought corn,oats and barley from local farms...added molasses
Do you sink the cap or leave it...?
Leave it. This ain't wine. It will fall when it's ready to fall.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

So the cap is irrelevant? I assume the top section of the cap would get infected if it sat there for a week exposed to the air I have a 24 gallon bucket fermenter that's got a loose lid on it
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Naw. More chance of infecting it by fooling with it. It isn't exposed to air as there is a nice co2 blanket in the fermenter.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

stillanoob wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:09 pm Naw. More chance of infecting it by fooling with it. It isn't exposed to air as there is a nice co2 blanket in the fermenter.
Well summumagun. I didn't know
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:27 pm
stillanoob wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:09 pm Naw. More chance of infecting it by fooling with it. It isn't exposed to air as there is a nice co2 blanket in the fermenter.
You can always "rock" the bucket in circular motion. I do this with my angel yeast ferments. But if you have anything larger than 25L bucket, might be too heavy...
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:27 pm
Yep, as the yeast produces co2 it pushes the air up and out, since co2 is heavier. The cap is irrelevant and will fall as the fermentation nears completion. There is no need to stir ir fool with it at all and it just adds risk of infection.
ismbardbrunel123
Novice

Post by ismbardbrunel123 »

O.k. the cap has now sunk,...just under 1.000 fg...will leave it for a few days...still cannot understand why all the oats and barley sit afloat as a cap, whilst the corn is on the bottom...how can the cap be contributing to flavour/flavor ..it's sat upstairs for 4-5 days, actually out of the wash.....if you put the back of your hand against the cap, it's as dry as a bone......? go on, convince me.... :wink:
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

ismbardbrunel123 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:22 pm O.k. the cap has now sunk,...just under 1.000 fg...will leave it for a few days...still cannot understand why all the oats and barley sit afloat as a cap, whilst the corn is on the bottom...how can the cap be contributing to flavour/flavor ..it's sat upstairs for 4-5 days, actually out of the wash.....if you put the back of your hand against the cap, it's as dry as a bone......? go on, convince me.... :wink:
Only a guess, but did you grind your oats and barley? Maybe most of your cap is the husks and the meat of the grain is doing what it’s supposed to?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

30xs wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:50 pm
ismbardbrunel123 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:22 pm O.k. the cap has now sunk,...just under 1.000 fg...will leave it for a few days...still cannot understand why all the oats and barley sit afloat as a cap, whilst the corn is on the bottom...how can the cap be contributing to flavour/flavor ..it's sat upstairs for 4-5 days, actually out of the wash.....if you put the back of your hand against the cap, it's as dry as a bone......? go on, convince me.... :wink:
Only a guess, but did you grind your oats and barley? Maybe most of your cap is the husks and the meat of the grain is doing what it’s supposed to?
My guess? The flat, wide body of the oats and barley husks ride the rising C02, and the thicker-milled non-husked grain granules sink. I squeezed a bourbon ferment today and noticed as usual, the husks rose to the surface (entrained C02?) and that the finest grains of corn and barley were on the top of the submerged grain bed, and the biggest corn granules were at the very bottom.
Last remnants of floating barley husks
Last remnants of floating barley husks
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:20 pm The flat, wide body of the oats and barley husks ride the rising C02, and the thicker-milled non-husked grain granules sink.
100% agree TB........Ya learn stuff like that by sticking ya arm in the wash / mash and having a good dig around. Ya don't learn things like that by sitting starring at an airlock bubbling and freaking out cause you might get an infection if you take the lid off.
To many folk get all hung up on gadgets and hygiene.......fermenting stuff ain't rocket science, people have been doing it for a lot longer than hydrometers, sanitizers and PH meters have existed. This is not a beer making forum folks .....you are allowed to take the top off of the fermenter ...you can look at whats in side ...you can listen to it...you can poke a finger in it...you can even taste it to see if its sweet, sour, dry, or.....................
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:17 pm
To many folk get all hung up on gadgets and hygiene.......fermenting stuff ain't rocket science, people have been doing it for a lot longer than hydrometers, sanitizers and PH meters have existed.
And the human race is still flourishing in spite of all the stuff the species has fermented then ingested. :lol:
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:17 pm ...people have been doing it for a lot longer than hydrometers, sanitizers and PH meters have existed.
That's what I love about the lore in this hobby. Household Head Distillers of old, many times the lady of the house, made their magic happen with the minimum of tools and hand-me-down instructions. And I bet it was just fine to drink...
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

So, I made this long winded, half drunk post and thank goodness it didn't actually post (which happens frequently to me- maybe the big guy upstairs way of forcing me to slow down). There was some good stuff but IIRC I had some input about this recipe based on my greediness in the tails.

This drop is so friggin flavorful that after 4 years messing with it, I'm going be WAY more conservative on my cuts for drinking white. I have consistently gone 2 jars too deep and it gets a slight haze at 40%. I liked the flavor of those jars and didn't get a hard wet dog or tails funk, but I have always included the edges that I knew I shouldn't, because I typically don't let it rest long enough to really gel.

so that is my update on my experience for this recipe. Be conservative if you want to drink white, because, it has got so much flavor.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I had a single malt that clouded up at 80 proof it tasted ok tho
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Durhommer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:48 pm I had a single malt that clouded up at 80 proof it tasted ok tho
the recipe tastes great and my close friends can't believe how smooth it is, but the cloudiness made me think I got greedy. there is a bit of tailsy funk, but its really slight. Only I notice it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:11 pm
Durhommer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:48 pm I had a single malt that clouded up at 80 proof it tasted ok tho
the recipe tastes great and my close friends can't believe how smooth it is, but the cloudiness made me think I got greedy. there is a bit of tailsy funk, but its really slight. Only I notice it.
It’s been years since I’ve done a Sweet Feed but I had the same experience I don’t think you went to deep into tails.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Bushman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:56 am
Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:11 pm
It’s been years since I’ve done a Sweet Feed but I had the same experience I don’t think you went to deep into tails.
do you think that is the off-flavor from adding boiling water on to the oats and barley? I've read other posts where that was mentioned.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

I like the SF recipe for learning and making a good SH drop, but I'm so displeased with sugarheads that I'm considering not even running any gumballhead again.

I'm probably going to stick to corn, malted grains, and fruits. No more sugar.

I love the SF for campfire fun. It's a hit and a great place to start but I'm just but a rum/sugarhead fella after my recent all grain explorations
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I only make sugar stuff for the wife she likes to make her girly drinks with it I use my grains for my sipping whiskey and to age