sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

vanstill
Novice

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by vanstill »

Hello good morning, maybe a silly question. Do I need to mill the sweet feed down, or is it good to go out of the bag. thanks Can't wait till it is warmer to get big bertha running again
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Dont need milling it's just a sugar wash
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

JeannesWhiteLightning.jpg
Durhommer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm I only make sugar stuff for the wife she likes to make her girly drinks with it I use my grains for my sipping whiskey and to age
Same here. The wife likes my sugar shine as well as her Tito's Vodka. I made her own label (though it needs replacing after several re-fills, haha!) Also upped the proof from 80 to 95, as it seems to cloud a bit at the lower proof. Or maybe its my homemade distilled water I temper it with, that's not quite as pure as store bought.
Brewer's Beast 16 gallon mash tun
Spike CF15 Conical Unitank 
Mile Hi 16 Gallon Stainless 4 Inch Flute – 4 Sections
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

oksofar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:21 am I made her own label (though it needs replacing after several re-fills, haha!)
Changing the subject just a little bit, you might want to check out
https://www.beerlabelizer.com/

Some time ago, I fooled around with these ...
Silver Horse Label 2 small.png
Silver Horse Label.png
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I made these using a program called gimp are double sided front and back. I get 4 per sheet.
IMG_20210317_093453.jpg
[attachment=0g]IMG_20210317_093510.jpg[/attachment]
IMG_20210317_094225.jpg
IMG_20210317_094255.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20210317_093510.jpg
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

Tdick adn Sailman - both look good! Gotta love the pride folks have in their hooch. I've been using Microsoft
Word to make mine, but may try Gimp. I used Kraft adhesive sheets and enjoyed making labels for my nephew's wedding recently...
IMG_9886.jpg
IMG_9875.jpg
Brewer's Beast 16 gallon mash tun
Spike CF15 Conical Unitank 
Mile Hi 16 Gallon Stainless 4 Inch Flute – 4 Sections
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Nice labels guys I still use masking tape and sharpie
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Agree great looking labels. If I gifted my product I would probably come up with a fancy label but like Durhommer I just mark it on the bottles with whiteboard markers that are easy to clean off. The closest I come to a fancy label is my wife bought me a personalized keg with a fake distillery name that had my son (has his BA in hospitality) decided to open a distillery it is the name we came up with when as a senior in college he had to write a business plan and he did it on opening a distillery.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Yeah I'm like everybody else the ones that are going to be giving away gets a label, everything else gets blue painter's tape.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Sailman wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:39 am I made these using a program called gimp are double sided front and back. I get 4 per sheet.
I use Gimp too. For those that aren't familiar with it, it's freeware version of Photoshop.

Nice thing about Beer Labelizer is there is very little learning curve.
Found an Irish Waterfall
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
uisca beatha II.png
uisca beatha.png
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Durhommer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:33 am Nice labels guys I still use masking tape and sharpie
Yes! I’ve come full circle from blue tape to labels and back to blue tape — but, I insist on using a fine point sharpie.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Haha I'm a Scotch Blue label maker too. Keeping it super simple, it's just the initials, percent abv, and a date on the tape. (SSS, 95%, 3/12/21 or KSSF, 63%, 9/15/20)
Anything I've gave away which has been very little, is an unmarked mason jar, though I'll likely make a few labels for bottles of my barrel aged whiskey.
You guys making labels give some creative ideas.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

I have been writing with one of my wife's fancy white permanent craft marker's and then adding a bit of sharpie for fun accents. It's a little...~~, but I like it.

Rubs off easy but oh well
image27.jpg
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

gotta say, its a great beginner recipe with great potential...but I'm done with anything other than all grain. Folks, I promise you once you get into all grain you will either make this all grain (minus the molasses) or you will go Booner's.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

Question... since our Tractor supply is lame and only has the pellet sweet feed 12%... without reading the whole thread, i grabbed that while i was in there.
Then i find out the pellets are bad. But, i guess what exactly makes them "bad" like if i just tossed some in a bucket with water and such? would it have a bad taste?? would it not ferment out? would it just taste like death?
Just curious if i should see? or? tastes like straight death and dont waste my time?
Thank youuuuu
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Unknown0ne wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:51 pm Question... since our Tractor supply is lame and only has the pellet sweet feed 12%... without reading the whole thread, i grabbed that while i was in there.
Then i find out the pellets are bad. But, i guess what exactly makes them "bad" like if i just tossed some in a bucket with water and such? would it have a bad taste?? would it not ferment out? would it just taste like death?
Just curious if i should see? or? tastes like straight death and dont waste my time?
Thank youuuuu
From what I remember the pellets contain alfalfa and process floor dropping compressed to pellets. Not death but Ass taste comes to mind.
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

acfixer69 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:21 pm
Unknown0ne wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:51 pm Question... since our Tractor supply is lame and only has the pellet sweet feed 12%... without reading the whole thread, i grabbed that while i was in there.
Thank youuuuu
From what I remember the pellets contain alfalfa and process floor dropping compressed to pellets. Not death but Ass taste comes to mind.
ehhhhhh.... processed floor droppings?!?! like heyyyy lets sweep this up and put it back in the mix?!?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

My TS use to carry a all grain purple bag with no pellets but was dropped from stock inventory for what ever reason. And yep its stock food. The alfalfa alone stopped me.
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

well damn... i cant find any all grain mixtures... i dont have any mills around me either. i am really struggling to find grains. :(
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

If you read the thread you will see the evolution to mix your own. Its not worth it to me. Its just still a grain sugar wash. If you just starting out do the UJSSw first.
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

Well, I've probably finished and ran a good 30+ batches of different stuff. From UJSSM to cornflake, all bran, was just looking for something different. Id like to try all grain. But, that's my issue... finding grain..
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Unknown0ne wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:25 am Well, I've probably finished and ran a good 30+ batches of different stuff. From UJSSM to cornflake, all bran, was just looking for something different. Id like to try all grain. But, that's my issue... finding grain..
Not sure where your from but brew shops carry grains, you might be able to get it directly from farmers, more expensive but can be purchased online.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Tractor supply will carry corn and oats. Barley (malted) you can get from morebeer.com with free shipping. But once you've got malted barley you may as well go all grain. Then use the spent grains for a gumball/sugar head.
Unknown0ne
Novice

Post by Unknown0ne »

I've read a few places that using "non food grade corn" aka feed corn will produce off flavors in the end result... now i have always made my UJSSM from cracked corn from tractor supply... so maybe i have never had a "good" quality corn to compare to??

or are those other resources full of it? corn is corn??

im about ready to say screw it and keep going cereal mashes lol!! easier and have a hell of a flavor.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Unknown0ne wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:57 pm I've read a few places that using "non food grade corn" aka feed corn will produce off flavors in the end result... now i have always made my UJSSM from cracked corn from tractor supply... so maybe i have never had a "good" quality corn to compare to??

im about ready to say screw it and keep going cereal mashes lol!! easier and have a hell of a flavor.
Why dont you just make you some AG sweet feed mash? Corn, Oats, malted Barley, and Molasses. All Grain Rumsky.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

TDick wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 pm
oksofar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:21 am I made her own label (though it needs replacing after several re-fills, haha!)

Silver Horse Label.png
This is a dead link. Are you still able to access the site or are they now gone?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bigbone32 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:38 pm
TDick wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Silver Horse Label.png
This is a dead link. Are you still able to access the site or are they now gone?
I also got a black page when clicking on the link. I then went to google it and I am guessing you can’t see it unless you join as there is a place to log in.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Bushman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:04 pm
bigbone32 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:38 pm This is a dead link. Are you still able to access the site or are they now gone?
I also got a black page when clicking on the link. I then went to google it and I am guessing you can’t see it unless you join as there is a place to log in.
I also clicked on my links and got the black screen.

Then I clicked on BeerLabelizer.com

I got a woodgrain background but no content. Looks like they're down, hopefully not out.
hikertrash
Novice

Post by hikertrash »

Got my first bag of sweetfeed. Ingredients are Cracked Corn, MILO, Oats, Barley, Molasses. Has anyone tried this recipe with milo? It looks like milo might be about 25% of the grains. I've found a few references to sourgum whiskey but nothing done as a sugarhead.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Unknown0ne wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:57 pm I've read a few places that using "non food grade corn" aka feed corn will produce off flavors in the end result... now i have always made my UJSSM from cracked corn from tractor supply... so maybe i have never had a "good" quality corn to compare to??

After 7 years with Tractor Dupply, cracked corn, have converted to cereal grind entire. Simpler to work with, easier to clean up, and similar yields. Still looking for a reasonable way to buy wheat grains, whole, cracked or steamed and rolled. Am in Virginia, …
“…Let’s do this one more time....”