sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by greggn »

BoomTown wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 am
After 7 years with Tractor Dupply, cracked corn, have converted to cereal grind entire.

I'm confused ... corn is a cereal grain. How is changing from Tractor Supply (a supplier) corn (a cereal grain) to corn (a cereal grain) a change ? Is it just that you're buying shelled corn versus cracked corn, and milling it yourself, the change ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

greggn wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:13 pm
BoomTown wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 am
After 7 years with Tractor Dupply, cracked corn, have converted to cereal grind entire.

I'm confused ... corn is a cereal grain. How is changing from Tractor Supply (a supplier) corn (a cereal grain) to corn (a cereal grain) a change ? Is it just that you're buying shelled corn versus cracked corn, and milling it yourself, the change ?
Was buying cracked corn, chicken feed. Now
I’m buying my corn after it’s been steamed and rolled, same with barley, oats and rye. They are food grade, some folk call the ‘flaked’,
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Hillbillymike
Novice

Post by Hillbillymike »

Has any one tried this recipe with producers pride 12% textured sweet feed? Only thing my TSC has in stock.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Textured sweet feed will turn to mush and from what I've read in this thread it's not been advised to use it.
Hillbillymike
Novice

Post by Hillbillymike »

Sailman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:49 pm Textured sweet feed will turn to mush and from what I've read in this thread it's not been advised to use it.
Yes it does turn to mush. But from what i can tell nothing in is bad! Just curious!
Hillbillymike
Novice

Post by Hillbillymike »

Hey, tried the textured and don't like the way it looks or smells. So I'm gonna ditch it.
I have purchased a grain scratch that isn't a sweet feed, as i can not find a all grain sweet feed round here. It is corn, wheat, and barley. Also got Molasses. My question is how much feed to molasses ratio to make the sweet feed for this recipe?
Morkai
Novice

Post by Morkai »

I've only made it about 25 pages in the thread so far, but it made me want to try this for my first run. I got the PP all grain feed from TS and it's worked off great, from about 1.068 to .988 in 7 days. Smells great. I can't wait to run it. My question is this, it was ready to run last night at .988, but I'm still(no pun intended) waiting on parts for my new controller. I don't want to run it with the PID. As long as it's airlocked and sealed it'll keep a few days correct?

Hillbillymike, I picked up the PP All Grain Feed, Textured from TS in the brown bag. Online it said my store had none, but there was plenty on the shelf.
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It'll keep fine under a lid for weeks. I've been sipping on some I made 14 months ago, aged in glass on toasted, charred oak fingers and it's pretty damn good.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Screenshot_20220115-100054_Messenger.jpg
I was looking through Facebook marketplace and I found this guy that's relatively close to me so I sent him a message. It looks like he'll be able to make any type of animal feed that I require, What should I ask for as far as different concentrations of grain cracked or whole?
Screenshot_20220115-100141_Messenger.jpg

I'm leaning more towards the crack grain but I just wanted to make sure. I was thinking some cracked corn oats and barley.
Morkai
Novice

Post by Morkai »

This is from the grain bill on the Producer's Price All Grain if it helps. COB with molasses.
Producer's Pride All Grain.jpg
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Well I just talked to the guy and he said he couldn't do any barley so I guess I'll just wind up making it myself.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Well, if I lernt anything from this thread is, don't you do it, Don't you use those pellets!

In retrospect ujssm would have fit my tastes more because I apparently love corn, but the quick turnaround sugarhead "whiskey" is a great place to start a distilling practice.

In the previous 7 years I owned a still, I made 1 spirit run of rad's allbran.

This, my first official distilling 'season' I ran sweet feed smiley's pure whiskey style (1 heads favoring cut, 1 tails favoring cut), pot style, hybrid column, and short packed column. Next up experimental sweet feed feints projects and maybe a mash of what's left of the bag, damn the husk bitterness torpedoes.

As a swill-maker, I made enough sweet feed to last for 6 years at least. Sigh. Bless my swill drinking mouth, and pray my least experienced year is not my most productive!

Cheers!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Before going to AG I was producing both UJ and Sweetfeed. I preferred the UJ to the sweetfeed. Plus before getting air tight storage containers my sweetfeed grain went bad on my stored in the opened bags.
Swamptrout
Novice

Post by Swamptrout »

Hi bushman, what is it in the tasting differences between sweetfeed and UJ that makes you like UJ more?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

My sweet feed was the first thing I made to drink and I made almost 3 gallons of it. It took 10+ months to get good. What remains is now 16 month old on oak, and it's gotten much better.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Swamptrout wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:09 am Hi bushman, what is it in the tasting differences between sweetfeed and UJ that makes you like UJ more?
I liked UJ as it wasn’t as sweet in flavor.
BumpkinMash
Novice

Post by BumpkinMash »

Has anyone used Stock and stable all grain sweet feed?

I cannot find manna pro high grain sweet feed.
BumpkinMash
Novice

Post by BumpkinMash »

image.jpg
Has anybody mashed with this before I cannot find manna pro high green sweet feed
BumpkinMash
Novice

Post by BumpkinMash »

Has Anyone used this before?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

What's in it? No pellets?
BumpkinMash
Novice

Post by BumpkinMash »

No pellets! Cracked corn, oats, wheat, barley and molasses it looks like granola trail mix. Smells wonderful!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It'll be fine. Follow the recipe for grain and sugar ratios.
BumpkinMash
Novice

Post by BumpkinMash »

:thumbup: I did… omg 😜
Shadowride69
Swill Maker

Post by Shadowride69 »

Bump so I can find it in a week
I help collage girl's make bad decisions..... I make liquor bottles as a career.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Shadowride69 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:15 pm Bump so I can find it in a week
Add it to your bookmarks and you'll be able to find it whenever you need it :)
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Shadowride69 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:15 pm Bump so I can find it in a week
Check out the links at the bottom of my post and you will see some suggestions for organizing and storing information on the forum.
Osi
Novice

Post by Osi »

My first try at this just finished fermenting. Put on 20 gallons on the 7th at 1.056 OG and finished today the 11th at FG 0.96. I was going to invert all the sugar but made a small error in using a sugar wash calc and came out a little low on the OG so I went back, found my error and just added a couple more lbs of sugar without inverting it. Going to let it settle a day or two while I get things set to start the stripping runs.
"I didn't fail the test. I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." -Benjamin Franklin
bagmanhd1
Novice

Post by bagmanhd1 »

I've been doing this recipie for almost 10 years and it is easy and cheap. When I go to the grain store I get the sweetfeed blend with the highest molasses content. I start it by putting 5 gallons of tap water in the bucket and don't bother heating it. Then I add 8 pounds of cane sugar and stir it till the sugar dissolves. Then I add 5 cups of sweet feed. Add in distillers yeast and let it go. It seems the yeast likes a bit of heat so I use some brew belts around the buckets. I do 4 - 5 gallon buckets at a time since i have a 20 gallon still. Let it work off over 2 weeks then run it. First run yields 3 gallons of 100 proof distilate hearts. I'll do this 4 times for a total haul of 12 gallons of first run. Then I put the 12 gallons back in the still, add 6 gallons of water and run it a second time. I keep everything that comes off the second run in quart jars and keep track of the jars from beginning to the end. Then I cover the jars with paper towels and let them air out for a couple of days. Finally I'll start tasting from the middle out to make my cuts. This usually comes out at 148 proof, then add spring water and take it down to 90 proof for bottling. I keep all the discarded heads and tails for further distillation at a later date. Total finished haul is usually about 48 quarts that took a total of 8 weeks and costs about $3.50 per quart.

Gotta say this is super tasty and fun to make! I did barrel some a couple of seasons ago and let it rest for 2 years but wasn't happy with the results.

Recently I've started flavoring it with Atomic Fireball candies. I'll put 12 candies in a quart and let it go for 2 weeks. The candy dissolves but the candy centers cause it to get cloudy. Waiting 2 weeks enables the distilate to clear to a beautiful red color and the taste is fabulous. Once you try this you'll NEVER want to taste Fireball again.

Enjoy!
Osi
Novice

Post by Osi »

Did the first two stripping runs yesterday and on my third now. Took 3 gallons of hot backset from first run and added a couple pounds of new feed to it. Covered it up and did the second stripping run and took three gallons hot backset from it added my sugar and stirred. Dumped those both back into the fermenter with the used grains that I had put 5 gallons of water on. Topped off with 9 gallons of water. OG 1.060 and it was bubbling away within 2 hours. Spirit run tomorrow. Should have a little over 4 gallons of low wines and ill add 2 gallons of ferment I held back to it. Plan on doing the same to the second gen that's fermenting now. Keep the hearts with both and hopefully have enough feints to throw in and run it through reflux for a neutral.
"I didn't fail the test. I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." -Benjamin Franklin
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:15 am My sweet feed was the first thing I made to drink and I made almost 3 gallons of it. It took 10+ months to get good. What remains is now 16 month old on oak, and it's gotten much better.
You don't like it right away? Granted, I agree, 10 months is really begins to gel wonderful, but we're consistently pleased with ours straight out the gate. I always get chocolate, raisin, and vanilla with each batch. Do you not like the initial bite?
We only add enough sugar after using enzymes to hit 10% which is typically .5 lb / gallon