sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jeffp60
Novice

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by Jeffp60 »

Wild bill im with u on trying dry cob no sugar or as little as possible. I cant find seperate oats barley so im thinking sweet feed rinsed in hot water. Then try conversion acording to this table.
9305697673b0c48fcbf4dc19b09f1265ef6f2ef3_cerealmashchart.png
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

It will not convert unless you use enzymes . I proved that to myself already but using enzymes and cob mix is probably one of the most economical ways to make a decent spirit. Early results are leading me to believe my house whiskey will be made from cob mix.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
Jeffp60
Novice

Post by Jeffp60 »

I agree thinkingng 1# malt in mash, 1/2 tsp alpha, gluco in premash,. Not a purist, just not a fan of high alcohol white dog/sugar bite
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

Yes, I feel you there regarding the white dog but have been pleasantly surprised how the application of oak and time mellow even sugarheads to a fine sippin spirit. If you havent tried the original SF recipe, you owe it to yourself and you may be pleasantly suprised how smooth a sugarhead can be. I know I was.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

My 5 gallon trial is almost done! Hopefully it turns out well. As soon as my 20gal fermenter i freed up i plan on making a big one. Currently at 1.010 and bubbling so hopefully ill have have something to run this weekend. Using Producers Pride All Grain (Purple Label from Tractor Supply).
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

j3hx wrote:My 5 gallon trial is almost done! Hopefully it turns out well. As soon as my 20gal fermenter i freed up i plan on making a big one. Currently at 1.010 and bubbling so hopefully ill have have something to run this weekend. Using Producers Pride All Grain (Purple Label from Tractor Supply).
Did that producers pride have pellets in it? I was going to buy a bag of Producers Pride sweet feed from Tractor supply but I confirmed it had pellets in it. Everything I’ve read about about sweet feed mixes led me to believe that it’s best to avoid the mixers with pellets because most of the contents in the pellets doesn’t get used in the fermentation process and ends up as mush as at the bottom of the fermenter. Will be curious about your results. I know a lot of people use the Producers Pride stuff for a long time but it seemed it’s popularity dwindled when the pellets became an ingredient.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Tractor Supply sweetfeed has pellets and is crap. How ever the producers pride all grain in the purple bag is good but not an easy find at tractor supply. Can't get it in North East USA unless you got the volume.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

My TSC is chock full of purple bag sweet feed
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

butterpants wrote:My TSC is chock full of purple bag sweet feed
This is the Purple Bag Producers Pride Sweet feed that’s readily available at my local TSC but it does have the pellets.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
They don’t have the All Grain Producers Pride locally however the Producers Pride All Grain isn’t noted as Sweet Feed nor does it list molasses as an ingredient. It’s just listed as “All Grain” and it’s in the purple bag. I need to check some additional Feed Supply places around me to see if anybody has anything different that doesn’t have the pellets.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Ah ok. Or just go buy yourself some blackstrap molasses.

Which is what I did.... and also found out not as easy as it sounds! Stupid game laws in Colorado
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

butterpants wrote:Ah ok. Or just go buy yourself some blackstrap molasses.

Which is what I did.... and also found out not as easy as it sounds! Stupid game laws in Colorado
That crossed my mind. I am curious what other brands of Sweet Feed people are using and if it’s Producers Pride “Sweet Feed”, what bag are they using (I know a purple bag) but does it have pellets? Inquiring minds want to know because a Sweet Feed mash is on my To Do List. Just need to find something that is suitable and easily accessible that won’t result in a bunch of nasties at the bottom of the barrel.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Do you have kids? Have them pick the pellets out. Kids love messsy, ridiculous tasks like that.
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

butterpants wrote:Do you have kids? Have them pick the pellets out. Kids love messsy, ridiculous tasks like that.
LMAO!! Gotta love thinking outside the box. Unfortunately my kids are past that stage. Youngest is 17 and that definitely won’t fly. Heck, I have a couple grand kids now yet I don’t feel that old (yet).
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

My 8 year old loves stuff like that. Sorry man!
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

slief wrote:
j3hx wrote:My 5 gallon trial is almost done! Hopefully it turns out well. As soon as my 20gal fermenter i freed up i plan on making a big one. Currently at 1.010 and bubbling so hopefully ill have have something to run this weekend. Using Producers Pride All Grain (Purple Label from Tractor Supply).
Did that producers pride have pellets in it? I was going to buy a bag of Producers Pride sweet feed from Tractor supply but I confirmed it had pellets in it. Everything I’ve read about about sweet feed mixes led me to believe that it’s best to avoid the mixers with pellets because most of the contents in the pellets doesn’t get used in the fermentation process and ends up as mush as at the bottom of the fermenter. Will be curious about your results. I know a lot of people use the Producers Pride stuff for a long time but it seemed it’s popularity dwindled when the pellets became an ingredient.
Nope no pellets in the purple all grain. The one they have labelled as sweet feed does however. I passed on the all grain the first trip. Always read labels lol.
lil misfit
Novice

Post by lil misfit »

think i saw a comment on Blue Seal's "pacer" product listed as an alternative. can anyone confirm this, as I can't locate the manna or p.pride around me. thanks
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

lil misfit wrote:think i saw a comment on Blue Seal's "pacer" product listed as an alternative. can anyone confirm this, as I can't locate the manna or p.pride around me. thanks
From a quick search quite a few have made mention of using pacer for different things. Mixed results it seems, you might follow through a few of those threads and see what everyone says. Hope it works out for ya!
lil misfit
Novice

Post by lil misfit »

gonna have to try it, looks to be the only option around here. thanks
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Theres a seller on etsy that sells a home made sweet feed mix. I bought the 10 gallon batch. Got 2 ferments from it. Really tasty.
TenMMGuy
Novice

Post by TenMMGuy »

> Nope no pellets in the purple all grain. The one they have labelled as sweet feed does
> Blue Seal's "pacer" product listed as an alternative
> Purina Manna Pro
> Re: Home made sweet feed mix help
> The Tried and True recipe T-Pee linked to has the formula for the proportions to make your own sweet feed mix

I'm having the worst time finding a pellet-free sweet feed in Ohio. I picked up a bag of "producers pride 12%" after missing seeing that it had pellets in it (bad eyesight, dark feed room in my local TSC). NO TSC stores in the Ohio area carry the "All Grain" variety. I called four local feed mills, none of them carry pellet-free sweet feed. Sheesh, I was all excited about this recipe and now am well frustrated! I guess the answer is make my own.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

TenMMGuy, look/ask for C.O.B. (corn, oats and barley) or wet COB. These are alternate names for sweet feed.
TenMMGuy
Novice

Post by TenMMGuy »

hellbilly007 wrote:TenMMGuy, look/ask for C.O.B. (corn, oats and barley) or wet COB. These are alternate names for sweet feed.
Thanks for the feedback! I found that comment in this thread someplace and called a few places. So far I've gotten "yup, 300lb minimum order". I think I'll order smaller quantities from Honeyville and mix it up myself at this point. A thought on that - do I need to grind pearled barley? I don't want to order 50lbs flakes.... Groats / steel cut oats / oat flakes?
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

TenMMGuy wrote:
hellbilly007 wrote:TenMMGuy, look/ask for C.O.B. (corn, oats and barley) or wet COB. These are alternate names for sweet feed.
Thanks for the feedback! I found that comment in this thread someplace and called a few places. So far I've gotten "yup, 300lb minimum order". I think I'll order smaller quantities from Honeyville and mix it up myself at this point. A thought on that - do I need to grind pearled barley? I don't want to order 50lbs flakes.... Groats / steel cut oats / oat flakes?
My local place is 400 lbs minimum order. At least with making it yourself you can control the ratios to suit your tastes.
Southern comfort
Novice

Post by Southern comfort »

Hello everyone. I usually schedule everything so after I filter and rack off my mash I run with in a day or two. Due to some emergency work it's looking like it's gonna be several weeks or maybe even a month before I can run this batch. Will it start turning to vinegar or does it keep for a while.
Tonym4840
Novice

Post by Tonym4840 »

TenMMGuy wrote:> Nope no pellets in the purple all grain. The one they have labelled as sweet feed does
> Blue Seal's "pacer" product listed as an alternative
> Purina Manna Pro
> Re: Home made sweet feed mix help
> The Tried and True recipe T-Pee linked to has the formula for the proportions to make your own sweet feed mix

I'm having the worst time finding a pellet-free sweet feed in Ohio. I picked up a bag of "producers pride 12%" after missing seeing that it had pellets in it (bad eyesight, dark feed room in my local TSC). NO TSC stores in the Ohio area carry the "All Grain" variety. I called four local feed mills, none of them carry pellet-free sweet feed. Sheesh, I was all excited about this recipe and now am well frustrated! I guess the answer is make my own.
Look for Nutrena Stock & Stable All Grain
amazu3
Novice

Post by amazu3 »

I would be forever grateful if someone could help me figure out this sweet feed recipe for a 15 gallon mash? I love this recipe has simple ingredients I can find locally, COB sweet feed, white sugar and bakers yeast... this will be perfect! I just need help to figure out how to make this in 15 gallon batches?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

7lbs sweet fed
7 lbs sugar
5 gallons water

Mix all ingredients, pitch a couple table spoons of yeast.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

amazu3 wrote:I would be forever grateful if someone could help me figure out this sweet feed recipe for a 15 gallon mash? I love this recipe has simple ingredients I can find locally, COB sweet feed, white sugar and bakers yeast... this will be perfect! I just need help to figure out how to make this in 15 gallon batches?
https://homedistiller.org/grain/wash-grain2/moonshine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Im going to give this one a try real soon. Had to special order the feed. I could never afford to buy this feed just for my animals.
$10.00 more on the bag than the pelleted stuff. They will get it on the recycle and be just fine with that.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Folks,
I cannot recommend this recipe highly enough! and I'm a value guy so this is incredibly valuable!
I made (5)-10 gallon batches, 10% abv, discarded foreshots, tried to single distill one run, stripped 4 down to 15-20%, saved, ran 12 gallons spirit run back in March 2018, if I recall correctly. After some tight cuts I ended up with 3 gallons at %72. I'm already down to 1.25 gallons.

One month ago it had this dry, mothball, cotton like aftertaste that I couldn't shake, but the nost and mouth was fantastic. Fast forward, August 2018 and this stuff is really shining! My fiance can't get enough of it. I've let a few folks sample it, and they all can't believe how smooth it is. I get tastes of raisin, marshmallow/vanilla, definitely on the sweet side even though all my ferments went dry.

Folks, this recipe is delicious and cheap! Ingredients alone were ~$65 plus propane...so..$90 total? That is roughly 25 bottles of fine sippin white dog at about 45% for let's just round up and call it $100. that is $4 per bottle of super smooth, delishious wonder. I'm aging some on homemade toasted white oak hearts and it really brings out the sweetness of vanilla. I prefer it clear.

This is so easy, and the cuts are very obvious on the double distillation. Do yourselves a favor. Do it!
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste