amaretto

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: amaretto

Post by Bushman »

I made two different one's I labelled "A" and "B" and did a side by side taste test with "B" getting all the votes. It is very similar to yours with slightly different proportions.

2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
3 cups vodka
1/4 cup almond extract
1-1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract

Preparation
Bring the sugars and water to a boil in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved
Remove from the heat and allow the mix to cool
Add vodka and extracts, stirring until well mixed
razbarb
Novice

Post by razbarb »

This amaretto recipe is from left field and was given to me without any measurements.
Collect "enough" pips from a fruit called a locut ( i have an Italian background and we call them "nespoli")
Dry them till they're "dry enough".
I had about 180 pips out on a table for a month, it's summer atmo.
I put them in the oven 120 C for 40 mins with 10 minute intervals.
The smell of the pips in the oven was amazing, just like the soft amaretti biscuits.
I was told to add it to some alcohol and put it away for 4 or 5 months.
I'm 2 weeks in to my first go at this and i used some 85% from my first distilling run, however the colour is green.
The smell is great however.
I apologise for this being so vague but that's how it goes getting recipes from older Italians!
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Mixed up a batch of this last night. Flipped the sugars around. Never tasted Amaretto before (to my knowledge) so didn't have a comparator. Mixed with some pineapple juice and it makes a very nice cocktail.
adanac58
Bootlegger

Post by adanac58 »

WalkingWolf wrote:Mixed up a batch of this last night. Flipped the sugars around. Never tasted Amaretto before (to my knowledge) so didn't have a comparator. Mixed with some pineapple juice and it makes a very nice cocktail.
mix with cola and ice . best way to drink amaretto in my opinion :)
brewhaus standard 5 gallon stainless steel pot still.
cobology
Novice

Post by cobology »

Hi all just made some of this tonight just wondering is it meant to be cloudy? will it clear after a while or is it down to something i'v done, followed recipe but swapped sugar amounts round as have some others ie. more brown than white :ewink:
duracell
Novice

Post by duracell »

Here's mine; turned out awesome. I made a couple of alterations to the recipe. I have the real stuff so I was able to taste them side by side. 2 cups of vodka wasn't enough; to match the taste of Disaronno I needed 2.5 cups of 40% abv. Also, I made caramel color with 1 cup of sugar in a pan, cooked on medium high till it was smoking pretty good and a deep red color; then I added 1/2 cup of water carefully to thin it out a bit. I added about 6 teaspoons of this to the final product to match the color.

Thanks for the recipe!
Attachments
amaretto-1.jpg
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

made a small trial of this the other day.

less than a success, as the almond extract i bought turned out to be bloody sunflower oil based, not alcohol based as most others are!

damnit.

back on the horse.

put a whole vanilla bean and a good couple tablespoons of ground almonds into a a pint of shine and left it to infuse for a couple of days.

handful of dried apricots, and roughly equal parts light brown sugar, and some molasses sugar i found in the cupboard.

made a half gallon, just stirred it all together in the pot once it had cooled, and strained through a clean tea towel.

the result is still a bit cloudy, but a couple weeks should sort that out.

if, of course it lasts that long. the mrs is eating the apricots over ice cream, and drinking the still cloudy amaretto in her coffee.

judging from the grin, i think it's a success!

cheers guys!
j
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

razbarb wrote:This amaretto recipe is from left field and was given to me without any measurements.
Collect "enough" pips from a fruit called a locut ( i have an Italian background and we call them "nespoli")
Dry them till they're "dry enough".
I had about 180 pips out on a table for a month, it's summer atmo.
I put them in the oven 120 C for 40 mins with 10 minute intervals.
The smell of the pips in the oven was amazing, just like the soft amaretti biscuits.
I was told to add it to some alcohol and put it away for 4 or 5 months.
I'm 2 weeks in to my first go at this and i used some 85% from my first distilling run, however the colour is green.
The smell is great however.
I apologise for this being so vague but that's how it goes getting recipes from older Italians!
You wouldn't mean a loquat would you? a yellow fruit that grows in bunches and has 3-5 of the brown skinned seeds inside?
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Made a gallon using knuklehead's recipe along with a gallon of Taters Kahlua...

The only thing that bothered me was the oil from the almond extract sitting on the top, so I got rid of it.

Used heavy brown absorbent paper and touched it to the beads of oil floating on the top, soaked them up real good...

Nice recipe, the wife says it tastes like the real think... Another liquer that won't last long... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Samohon wrote:Made a gallon using knuklehead's recipe along with a gallon of Taters Kahlua...

The only thing that bothered me was the oil from the almond extract sitting on the top, so I got rid of it.

Used heavy brown absorbent paper and touched it to the beads of oil floating on the top, soaked them up real good...

Nice recipe, the wife says it tastes like the real think... Another liquer that won't last long... :thumbup:
I have to hide it from my wife, goes great in coffee early in the morning when you just put your line in the water waiting for that first strike fishing!
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Now you made me go and want another one Bushman... Mmmmm... :thumbup:

Excellent Liquer, and dead easy to make... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

knucklehead's recipe, and DrPepper (about 1 to 3), is one of the BEST flavored mixes I know of. I would recommend it to ANYONE. It certainly will drop a lot of panties, if that is what you want to have happen, lol.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
staggerlee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by staggerlee »

I agree Husker. I don't normally drink that kinda stuff (straight whiskey on ice for me), but everyone loves a homemade amaretto.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Gonna rack-up a couple of gallons tomorrow boy's, this stuff just keeps getting better with age, The problem is, we just cannot leave it alone. Damn nice...

H, Mrs Sam loves your dash of Dr Peppers in it, with ice ofcourse. :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I'll have to try the Dr. Pepper, haven't done that one before!
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Made just over a gallon (5L): Changed the recipe just a smidgen to accommodate the quantities...
The cup I use is 200g in weight or 200ml in volume...

Heres the quantities I used to get just over 1 Gal (5L):
  • 1.2L Boiling water
  • 1Kg Brown Sugar
  • 250g White refined Sugar
  • 250g Unrefined Molasses Sugar
  • 3.2L of 50% abv Neutral
  • 8 Tablespoons Almond Extract
  • 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Tablespoon Glycerine (for a little body)
Heat the sugar and water to just below boiling point.
Allow to cool to body temperature.
Add the vodka, extracts and glycerine and store together in a 5L Demijohn...

This recipe just keeps getting better and better... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

fields
Novice

Post by fields »

I made this last night using the recipe on the first post using Queen Almond Essence, I was not happy with the result, it tasted right but had a plasticy aftertaste, I'm sure its the essence as have used everything else in other recipes and not tasted it,

what brand almond are people using?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

fields wrote:I made this last night using the recipe on the first post using Queen Almond Essence, I was not happy with the result, it tasted right but had a plasticy aftertaste, I'm sure its the essence as have used everything else in other recipes and not tasted it,

what brand almond are people using?
I am making some (have been waiting till I had some "vodka" /neutral spirit ready) with apricot kernels.
That is what the commercial makers use, not almonds.
Haven't got the recipe to hand right now but can look it up.

BTW was the essence labelled 'natural'? Queen have quite a few natural essences now.
Also, I got some cold pressed almond essence from an almond farm a couple of hours away, at a local market.
The Baker
Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

Hiya
I am interested in making some of this.
I was looking into the almond essences in the UK and all the ones i found the ingredients were sunflower oil + almond extract example of a brand here http://www.britishsupermarketworldwide. ... 34041.html. Our almond flavoring ingredients are ethanol + flavoring.

I assume the sunflower oil will cause problems, i am guessing floating on top. Does anyone have any experience?
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Rargh wrote:I assume the sunflower oil will cause problems, i am guessing floating on top. Does anyone have any experience?
Heres one of my posts on the previous page...
Samohon wrote:Made a gallon using knuklehead's recipe along with a gallon of Taters Kahlua...

I'll have a look for the manufacturers name of the Almond Essence when I get home, and post it up, work an all that... :tired:
I got it from Asda (Home Baking Section)...

This recipe is a must try. After a few days in the bottle, if you can keep it there, it takes on a whole new degree of excellence...

Hope it helps... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

Cheers Samohon

Let me know the brand you used.

Sounds good, will definitely get some of this on the go.
fields
Novice

Post by fields »

Thanks for the extra info - i dont think that the one i used was oil based but who would know :)

I think it is already tasting better, but still a bit plasticy - do you air it, if so how?
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Rargh wrote:Cheers Samohon

Let me know the brand you used.
Its Asda's own brand Rargh... Some oil will float to the top of the mix, just use my instructions to remove it...

Hope it helps... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Rargh wrote:Hiya
I am interested in making some of this.
I was looking into the almond essences in the UK and all the ones i found the ingredients were sunflower oil + almond extract example of a brand here http://www.britishsupermarketworldwide. ... 34041.html. Our almond flavoring ingredients are ethanol + flavoring.

I assume the sunflower oil will cause problems, i am guessing floating on top. Does anyone have any experience?
I understand that the stuff I got from the almond grower was just whatever came out of the almonds when he cold pressed them
The Baker
Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

Thanks Samohon, will get some on this weekend.

The Baker - pure extract would be just that. But commercially it would be very expensive hence they dilute with something else to fool one into thinking they are buying more than one actually is (or at least in the UK)
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

Just made a batch and put a little on the rocks, for quality assurance purposes of course, pretty darn good and highly recommended...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Amaretto is also good in making Duck Farts!
1 part Irish Cream
1 part amaretto
1 part whiskey

Put in freezer for several hours and drink like a dessert.

PS there is also a recipe for making your own Irish Cream.
eviljesus
Bootlegger

Post by eviljesus »

Made this recipe a while ago but forgot to comment.

Thought it was excellent. I made it no where near dark enough and used a bit too much Almond essence for my liking but it was a hit with my usual drinking crowd.

Cant wait to whip up another batch in the next few weeks.
natureboy68
Novice

Post by natureboy68 »

How soon after making this is it ready? Does it need to age for flavors to marry? Or put on ice as soon as its mixed??
Michael-52
Novice

Re:

Post by Michael-52 »

Dr. Lector wrote:I have used the same recipe that knucklehead posted and can say it is very good. Mine was a little light in color but the taste was right on . would fool anyone.
:clap: Very Good just made a Quart.Used 40 proof in mine.