NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

frenzy
Novice

Re: NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Post by frenzy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:56 pm

Curious, I’ve done a couple 5 gal stripping runs, stopping just below 10 abv and getting between 1/2 and 3/4 gal of product. Is that in line with y’all’s experience? Just curious if I need to refine my process.

frenzy
Novice

Re: NChooch's Carolina BourbonA

Post by frenzy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:04 am

I did not do those things... time to up my game, it seems. Thanks
Down_Home52 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:24 pm
Did you check your conversion with iodine? If it was totally converted 1.080SG is strong. What yeast? If it stalls probably will be low ph. Throw some crushed oyster shells in there and it will boil up showing it was needing calcium.

vafarmdog
Novice

Post by vafarmdog » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:31 am

Okay, so today is 3 days later. The yeast was bubbling like crazy for the past 3 days but doesn't appear active now. Could still be, but no bubbling.

As of now the gravity is 1.012. I'll check again tomorrow but if it doesn't drop any further, should/could I do anything?

Sunshine1
Novice

Post by Sunshine1 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:16 am

vafarmdog wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:31 am
Okay, so today is 3 days later. The yeast was bubbling like crazy for the past 3 days but doesn't appear active now. Could still be, but no bubbling.

As of now the gravity is 1.012. I'll check again tomorrow but if it doesn't drop any further, should/could I do anything?
What's the temperature?

Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:51 pm

vafarmdog wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:31 am

I have stalled 3 days in before and it was due to low ph. I swear by crushed oyster shells to raise the ph. The wash will use exactly the amount it needs as it dissolves the shells. Try it. Can't hurt. My bourbon wash usually ends up below 1.000. As previous post is also correct. 75-80 degrees is what I shoot for. The ferment creates its own heat until it slows. You might need to add some external heat. By the way, my wash takes off for 2-3 days but I usually have to wait 12-13 days to get down to the lower FG's.
I dream of a worm running like a water hose.....

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:28 am

So got some crack corn getting ready for a 6gallon run of this gonna do small batches since its easier to squeeze and it gives me something to do though the winter once spring hits I'll go big again and fill a new barrel
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

VillaVino
Novice

Post by VillaVino » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:14 pm

First go at this recipe. OG 1.058 FG 0.999
Started with 5 gals of strike water
Did use 1 tsp of amylase at 150
Did throw a scoop of Malt in during the cooking of the corn and all 12 oz of Rye
Used Walmart 10% iodine-worked fine
Used 10 gal Anvil setup with a 30 lb brew in bag.
Fermented 7gals of wort in a SS 8 gal pot with grains in bag and a 1 gal glass jug
Fermentation lasted 4 days then done
Stripped 1 week after cooking
Started Strip at 120 proof and took down to 20%.
Got 1.5 gals of low wines total

VillaVino
Novice

Post by VillaVino » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:29 pm

Second go at this recipe was exactly the same except I threw a hand full of ground oyster shells to even out pH. Handheld pH meter should arrive this week.
Spirit run next weekend.
This is first time trying anything other than a brandy and I think I messed up the corn mashing.
What I did was as soon as I got all the corn into the 165F strike water, I turned the Anvil temp down to 150F. If I’m reading this correctly, I should cook the corn for 90 mins and then lower the temp to 150. Would someone confirm.
Thanks from a noobie

StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:54 pm

VillaVino wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:29 pm
Second go at this recipe was exactly the same except I threw a hand full of ground oyster shells to even out pH. Handheld pH meter should arrive this week.
Spirit run next weekend.
This is first time trying anything other than a brandy and I think I messed up the corn mashing.
What I did was as soon as I got all the corn into the 165F strike water, I turned the Anvil temp down to 150F. If I’m reading this correctly, I should cook the corn for 90 mins and then lower the temp to 150. Would someone confirm.
Thanks from a noobie
Yes, corn has to cook first. I pour boiling water into my corn meal and let it sit for 90 minutes with occasional stirring and high temp enzymes.

VillaVino
Novice

Post by VillaVino » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Ok. I’ve read it both ways where some pour the grains into the water and visa versa. With my all in one brewing system, I kinda have to get the water to strike temp and then pour in the grains. Now, I’ll hold 165F for 90 mins and at the end of that time, I’ll dial it down to 150F. I guess I did hurt it too much the way I did it but I want to get as much converted as possible. Thx