NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Postby matt_b » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:18 pm

I can't malt it now. I fed it to my cows. I can't understand what they're grumbling about, but I suspect they were saying "this **** isn't event malted!" But luckily I don't speak Angus. The price for "just barley" was $7/50lb, where malted was $55/50lb. That's a big gap, but probably worth the price since I suspect malting really can be a PITA. And I worry it would strain my wife's patience with my new hobby a bit too far.

I do need to figure out how to grind my malted grains though (barley or wheat). I was reading up on hand grinders. But before I pull the trigger on anything I'm gonna check with the local feed mill and see if they can grind it for me, which I think they'll do since they suspect what it's for.
matt_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby TDick » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:17 pm

matt_b wrote: I do need to figure out how to grind my malted grains though (barley or wheat).

For what it's worth it's pretty simple once you stop screwing up. Use COLD water and check that thread.
As for grinding, I hesitate to share my noob move.
I have a little Nutra Bullet that I use in the kitchen. Containers are plastic but tough enough to grind coffee and spices.
Since I was only doing a few pounds of wheat and barley, I just used that and pulverized the hell out of it, like flour or corn meal.
Probably took 10 minutes.
:mrgreen:
Nutri Bullet.jpg
Don't think twice it's allright.
TDick
Swill Maker

Postby matt_b » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm

I borrowed the wifes food processor and broke my barley up. It did cause an odd sediment on the mash while it was fermenting. But I doubt that hurt anything. I appreciate the tip. Saved me a trip to the mill and the related hard time.

A quick question. When you guys run this recipe, what ABV do you get in your mash, before distilling? I seem to be stuck at 9%ABV, which I think is a little low. And at that point, it all adds up quickly. I'd be interested to hear what to expect from a corn/barley wash before stripping.
matt_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby zapata » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 pm

9 is already on the high side of the perfect range. I wouldn't see any need to try for higher.
zapata
Rumrunner

Postby mpearce » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 am

Gave this a try. Being in Japan, I was able to get corn grits. Meaning this is a finely ground corn. Did a smaller batch to start with. 3kg of corn and 2kg of pilsner malt. Went into the fermentor at 1.074 so if it ferments out it should be about 8.5% abv. I was hoping for higher but this is a good start. Boiled the corn for an hour before mashing it with the malts for an hour as well. Had good conversion and it is bubbling away now. Will do this again until I have 5ltrs to fill my oak barrel.
mpearce
Novice

Postby NcHooch » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 am

Y'all are doing well to get 8-9% ....I'm not sure I've ever got that high with the original recipe
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
NcHooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Yoself » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Matt_b
You do not want to grind (or food processor) the barley, wheat or whatever grain you are using to dust like corn meal. The idea is to crack open the grains but not grind them. This really can give off bad flavors in beer making but maybe not as much in distilling but why take the chance. If you do not have a grain mill many home brew suppliers will crack them for you when you order. I bought a grain mill called the “Cereal Killer” from Adventures in home brewing for $99 free shipping and it works great. You can hand crank it or use a drill. I can crack 4-5 lbs of grain in about a minute. Can’t use it for corn. For that order a Corona corn mill with high hopper, works great to grind corn a little finer than bagged cracked corn which converts well for me.
Yoself
Yoself
Novice

Postby ShineonCrazyDiamond » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:12 am

Yoself wrote:Matt_b
You do not want to grind (or food processor) the barley, wheat or whatever grain you are using to dust like corn meal. The idea is to crack open the grains but not grind them. This really can give off bad flavors in beer making but maybe not as much in distilling but why take the chance. If you do not have a grain mill many home brew suppliers will crack them for you when you order. I bought a grain mill called the “Cereal Killer” from Adventures in home brewing for $99 free shipping and it works great. You can hand crank it or use a drill. I can crack 4-5 lbs of grain in about a minute. Can’t use it for corn. For that order a Corona corn mill with high hopper, works great to grind corn a little finer than bagged cracked corn which converts well for me.
Yoself

Can you back up this claim? What in the hell does size of cut gave to do with producing off flavors? I agree it might make straining a headache, and lautering almost impossible. But your ferment and rack of the grain, it ain't going to do one bit of change to the taste. Doesn't even make sense.

The only reason beer grains gets cracked instead of pulverized is because you lauter beer, and if you destroy the husk, then the grain bed would get stuck and not drain. Taste has nothing to do with it.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Site Mod

Postby jonnys_spirit » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:54 am

The grain hull leaches out more tannins when it’s ground sorta like a finer ground coffee makes a stronger espresso - If it’s just cracked there’s less exposure.

Cheers!
-j
jonnys_spirit
Swill Maker

Postby ShineonCrazyDiamond » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:12 pm

That's a brewing fallacy being spread like the horrors of copper in certain parts of distilling: there's a remote possibility, but most likely one person said something after drawing a theoretical, and not quite applicable conclusion. Then many repeated as gospel.

You can take my knowledge or not. Tannins is a product of PH and temp, not particle size.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Site Mod

Postby BayouShine » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:19 pm

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:That's a brewing fallacy being spread like the horrors of copper in certain parts of distilling: there's a remote possibility, but most likely one person said something after drawing a theoretical, and not quite applicable conclusion. Then many repeated as gospel.

You can take my knowledge or not. Tannins is a product of PH and temp, not particle size.

+1

Every grain that I use, malted or not, gets passed through the corona mill and ground to a cornmeal consistency. Zero off flavors.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby muscashine » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:16 pm

zapata wrote:9 is already on the high side of the perfect range. I wouldn't see any need to try for higher.

I'm glad this was right here near the end... I'm looking at 8% potential alcohol on mine. I just put on my first batch of NC Hooch's Bourbon today to ferment. The yeast are already doing their thing. I haven't done an all grain in a while, I'm hoping it comes off well. Last one I tried I didn't test the SG beforehand, and was really disappointed in the outcome.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Postby tfattori » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Can the malted barley be crushed? I already have a bag of 6 row crushed malted barley.
tfattori
Novice

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes