Fruit / Berry Recipes

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Fruit / Berry Recipes

Post by Tater »

Tater's Fruit Recipe
From Homedistiller

Taters fruit recipe;Take 1 bushel[40 - 50 lb] of any fruit/ berry.Freeze them thaw and add 20 lbs sugar 1/4 cup lemon juice 1 pack E 1118 and 1/2 oz distillers yeast: If apples or pears grind and or mash them. Peaches nectarines plums cherry's blueberry .I pour boiling water with dissolved sugar on it and lemon juice .I blend it with a drill powered thin set mortar mixer. Thats blades I had sharpened .Adding water as I blend till I have a 13 gallon total wash.That's a thin gravy or thick soup texture. I pour mine through a rat wire sieve I made to remove seeds and any fruit that wasn't blended.Stir hell outta wash to get air back in wash and take a gallon of cooled wash and add 1 pack of E1118 yeast and distillers yeast stirring in let set till morning and add back stir in well and cover and vapor lock. Remember to leave space in ferment for pulp to rise or you'll have a mess and stir pulp gently back in wash as needed. Will make 3 gallons of around 100 proof fruit likker. If doing a no sugar added wash add more fruit to get wash to texture and use this chart to figure fruit sugar content. http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s01ja.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Retrieved from "http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Tater%27s_Fruit_Recipe"
Last edited by Tater on Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

I use a very similar recipe, but for 5 gallon batches. 20lb fruit, 5lbs sugar, tbspn or 2 of lime juice. and 21grams of active dry bakers yeast.
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
Dr. Lector
Novice

Post by Dr. Lector »

Hey Tater do you just do a single run on this?
To each his own
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

When using sugar in recipe I usually do 1 run but on fruit only I usually double run or triple run it depends on proof .
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

leaving headspace is very good advice, I was too enthusiastic and forgot about it ........ my grilfriend was very pleased !!!!! :lol:

I was just wondering, why add lemon juice if you don't know the pH. I always measure mine before I do that. This year the pH of my apple batch was 4, so I didn't have adjust it by adding lemon juice. Or is this perhaps done to add some addition nutriënts?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I add it instead of checking. 1/4 cup in a 13 gallon wash isnt going to change it much anyway. Never had any bad results using it.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Freeze 50 to 70 lbs peaches and thaw .Should look like this after thawing Image Image Then add a little water and stir .I use a sharpened morter mixer. Image Image Then pour through sive to get seeds and large pices of pulp and skin out.Save this to add a bit of water back to and stir agin Image Image Use hands to rub fruit through sive seeds help with this.After all fruit is poured through and seeds and skin are tossed wash should look like this Image Take a pot add 20 lbs sugar 1/4 cup lemon juice water and heat till clear. Image
Last edited by Tater on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Add sugar water to wash and add enough water to make 14 gallon total.Stir well and put gallon of wash in bucket and add yeast. This was 1/2 oz ec 1118 and about same distillers Image Next morning it looked like this Image So I added it back to wash well stirred in like this. Image By end of day wash had formed a cap. Image Ferminted out in 18 days kept cap stirred back in wash to stop from drying or molding . Image Then when cap fell i ran wash and got 3 gallons of 110proof.The end :)
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

very nice tutorial!! congratiolations
a picture of your still at work would make it complete

do you never cut stones in peaces while stirring?
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Enlikil
Swill Maker

Post by Enlikil »

Damn tater, that was Excellent.
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

Good lesson, Tater!
Please send us more like this!
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
nimrod77
Novice

Post by nimrod77 »

So I added it back to wash well stirred in like this. [img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/ ... f78279.jpg
Tater,
When you say the above, what are you adding it back to???
cheers,
Nimrod
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Prestarted yeast into the wash
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

Excellent tutorial tater.

it sure makes the process easier to understand when pictures are added.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

round here after they pit em they put em in a feed sack an
pry it to the bottom of the barrel with a apple tree lim.
they wont rot under water. when it quit workin they dump
it in the kettle with the mob. it wont stick not like corn beer
AfricaUnite
Swill Maker

Post by AfricaUnite »

Sexy pics tater.
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

My neighbor has a few peach trees and last summer I was up to my shins in peaches, but I ate them all with home-made ice-cream. Next summer, I'm going to make brandy for sure. :-) Thanks for the tutorial, Tater!
I was just wondering, why add lemon juice if you don't know the pH. I always measure mine before I do that. This year the pH of my apple batch was 4, so I didn't have adjust it by adding lemon juice. Or is this perhaps done to add some addition nutriënts?
Each step of the pH scale requires 10 times as much acid as the previous one. So if you added enough acid to get from pH 7 to pH 4 into a wash that was already at 4, you would be only reducing it to slightly below 4. It would take 10 times as much to get to pH 3. So Tater's practice of always adding that amount is very logical.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

think that lemon is to inverse sugar
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

I thought it was there to make the wash acidic to prevent bacterial infections. Are we talking about the same thing?
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

you are both talking about the acid of the orange, but for different purposes
I don't think that bit of acid will kill lots of bacteria

(i) it's good as nutrient and make the envirment acetic for the yeast
(ii) to convert sugar
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

goose eye wrote:think that lemon is to inverse sugar
Careful goose your education is showing :wink:
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

tater wrote: Careful goose your education is showing :wink:
I was afraid that sooner or later my bubble would burst. Use of the word "inverse" doesn't work with my image of goose-eye -- the local dialect using - young good-ole-boy - dressed in a lumberjack shirt and overalls, hunched over his PC watching "them" run "their" shine. :wink:

Aidas
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

noed to men . one couldnt read nor write the other was the first
school taught pill pusher in these parts.they came to be the best of friends. to the day the drugest died he said he wont no where as smart as the other in remedys. goldseal an such. ole doc was the first that brought hydrometer to these parts the other ole man didnt need it. alot of them tea totalers never had a clue who was makein the main ingredent in there cough syrup or what it was.
ole man showed doc how to make wine - blackberry- for stomach ailments- ole doc used that word on me one time - inverse-.
they was both dam good men
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

Aidas wrote:
tater wrote: Careful goose your education is showing :wink:
I was afraid that sooner or later my bubble would burst. Use of the word "inverse" doesn't work with my image of goose-eye -- the local dialect using - young good-ole-boy - dressed in a lumberjack shirt and overalls, hunched over his PC watching "them" run "their" shine. :wink:

Aidas
:lol:
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

And freezin is just to soften up the peaches a bit to make them more workable, right?

Ever use "seconds" or bruised peaches? Just curious, we have a lot of peach orchards around here.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

bruised peaches are good to use.

how the freezing thing works:
by freezing the fruit, there are tiny ice kristals formed inside the plant cells, due to the the water in the cells that's freezing too. those kristals are hard, pointy and frozen water has a larger volume then liquid. they 'stab' in the cell membrame. And that makes the fruit more soft and 'liquid' after being frozen. the citoplasm can run out of the cell.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Thanks Stoker, that makes good sense.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

probably an obvious answer, but I've got a bushel of peaches and they're almost ripe but still a little firm. assume I should wait a few days until they're good an ripe before I freeze them?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Let them ripen till there soft.Sugar content of fruit will be at its peak and fruit will be easyer to work with.I usally will seperate ripe fruit out of batch freeze it Putting less ripe fruit in cardboard box and close it up .That will make fruit ripen on out quicker.If ya get it from large source guess ya could pick out enough ripe fruit do freeze at one time but if your single treeing it it will take a while to get all fruit .Peaches sure are fun to work with . Late frost got most them round here.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Thanks tater, sounds like a plan. We have a 2 peach orchards right up the road, so got a good source for plentyt.