Fruit / Berry Recipes

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DCT
Swill Maker

Re: Fruit Recipes

Post by DCT »

I tossed 500ml for shots...then my 1st 500 ml I thought was headsy is now smelling like acetone compared to the other jars, don't think I will drink it, should I save for a charge? Do fruits tend to have a lot of heads?
DCT
Swill Maker

Post by DCT »

Ended up with 2.5 gallons drinkable likker...not as peachy as I thought it would be, but can taste a fruit note, now any suggestions to make it a better more peachy brandy?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

how about trying search feature for your questions .read parent site .pretty much asking to be spoon fed it seems
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Did ya save any of yer wash/must/wine to blend back to?

Some peach fruit juice maybe?
Tater talks about a char'd peach at times............

Edit:
Sept now he told you to find it yerself.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
DCT
Swill Maker

Post by DCT »

Got it
DCT
Swill Maker

Post by DCT »

did my research, decided on char'd peaches, toasted cherry wood, btw smelled great and apple wood...the chard peaches were great, they turn to carmel & color my brandy instantly.
Attachments
peach mash coming off pot still single run
peach mash coming off pot still single run
chard peaches, cherry & apple wood
chard peaches, cherry & apple wood
peaches charing on grille
peaches charing on grille
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re:

Post by LWTCS »

Tater wrote:When using sugar in recipe I usually do 1 run but on fruit only I usually double run or triple run it depends on proof .

Why so Tater?
Gonna be getting a five gallon carboy of mango wine this week some time. Guess it didn't turn out how the fella thought it should.....I was thankin a slow single run..
I think he uses sugar but I don't know what abv it finished at....I tried some from last years batch and it was pretty sweet......Reckon I'll use the thumper to damper back any puking/foaming.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Tater
Admin

Re: Re:

Post by Tater »

LWTCS wrote:
Tater wrote:When using sugar in recipe I usually do 1 run but on fruit only I usually double run or triple run it depends on proof .

Why so Tater?
Gonna be getting a five gallon carboy of mango wine this week some time. Guess it didn't turn out how the fella thought it should.....I was thankin a slow single run..
I think he uses sugar but I don't know what abv it finished at....I tried some from last years batch and it was pretty sweet......Reckon I'll use the thumper to damper back any puking/foaming.
Proof is where ya want to start at with sugar added . Just using fruit wash can be low abv.Will still hold sent in 2nd or 3rd runs if ya just rerun the wash or ya can save little wash to run with final run or use in thumper and will still have flavor of fruit in final product.
SHINER26
Novice

Post by SHINER26 »

got a double batch goin of apple i started yesterday. cant wait to try it.
Wormbiscuit
Novice

Re: Fruit / Berry Recipes

Post by Wormbiscuit »

Just got some Ec-1118 today! I took a bushel of peaches out of the freezer. I was wondering...Could I run the peaches through a juicer instead of mashing them up with a paint stir? Or do I want to keep lots of pulp and skin for flavor? When the neighbor makes blackberry jam she juices her berries and runs it through 3 or 4 times until only seeds are left. Maybe its easier to just mash 'em in a bucket. Any thoughts?
jdavenp3
Novice

Post by jdavenp3 »

Tater, you said in one part that you used a pack of EC-1118, then in the pictures you mentioned that you ran a half oz of that and distiller's yeast.

I was wondering if I should stick with the one pack of EC-1118 or add 3 packages (I think that equates close to .5 oz)?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ya can .I like ec1118 in cool weather but like distillers in hot weather.Mixing the two was something I tried when weather was hot days and cool nights. Ive had good results with mixing the two even though some say one will kill off the other.Ive used wild yeast and bakers yeast also in fruits.If your using a starter the yeast gonna multiply before being added to wash anyway. :clap: :clap:
Wormbiscuit
Novice

Post by Wormbiscuit »

Hey Tater,

What kind of cuts did you make on this peach?
What did you do with the feints? run them with a neutral or what?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

In sugar added Heads I throw away /kill ants with . Tails I either toss in next batch or use in thumper.Cuts I taste feel watch bead till Im done with heads .Run till bead drops and taste drops in tails . for me that's usually in the 80s -up to 90 proof.If Im using pure fruit I strip run 50 gallons down to 12 or 14 and do same.
Vashine
Novice

Post by Vashine »

Hey guys I totally missed the part about using a gallon of pre started wash, The wash was cool when I poured the yeast in... will this effect the outcome, did I mess up my entire batch? =( How long until things start cooking on average with peach wash? :( Its been about 6 hours and still no movement I used 1/2oz of distillers and a pack of the EC should I add more of the distillers I read somewhere that they actually kill one another?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Vashine wrote:Hey guys I totally missed the part about using a gallon of pre started wash, The wash was cool when I poured the yeast in... will this effect the outcome, did I mess up my entire batch? =( How long until things start cooking on average with peach wash? :( Its been about 6 hours and still no movement I used 1/2oz of distillers and a pack of the EC should I add more of the distillers I read somewhere that they actually kill one another?
Sit on your hands and wait... :think:
Vashine
Novice

Post by Vashine »

Well I waited, and I was rewarded haha, The following day I went outside to see how it was doing, apparently it doesn't ferment quite like rye does, in other words you cannot see it bubbling...did know that stuck my head down in there to get a good wif to see if it was doing anything, came out of there with a few less nose hairs! :D It working great, I just went outside and stirred it up and looks really good, how often should this be stirred once a day?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Vashine wrote:

Well I waited, and I was rewarded haha, The following day I went outside to see how it was doing, apparently it doesn't ferment quite like rye does, in other words you cannot see it bubbling...did know that stuck my head down in there to get a good wif to see if it was doing anything, came out of there with a few less nose hairs! :D It working great, I just went outside and stirred it up and looks really good, how often should this be stirred once a day?
There is your answer.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
jmesle
Novice

Post by jmesle »

I never did a fruit wash but apples will be very plentiful here soon for me. I plan on following this recipe. The only thing I have really run is UJSSM . When that is done fermenting it's really clear. Apples or any other fruit for that matter will be a lot thicker as you already mentioned while fermenting. Will it clear off a little before you run it. I was also wondering, do you strain it again before it goes in the boiler. If so what did you use. I read that if you wash rocks and put a layer in the bottom of your boiler it will clean up better. Just lookin for a little guidance on this one. Like I said I have only run UJSSM.
jsajarmy
Novice

Post by jsajarmy »

I've tried this recipe twice and the first time I got about a gallon and a half and second time about a gallon and a quarter. followed the recipe each time can anyone help?
Powerfull
Novice

Post by Powerfull »

Hey guys ive been running alot of wheat recipes ,gerber, etc. with AWESOME results, but i want to try a fruit shine.. I want to make a 5 gallon msh from what ive read its 20 lbs of fruit, 5 pounds of sugar 1 tbspon lemon juice and 21 grams of yeast?

Does anyone have a write up for this or an "improved or updated" recipe or is that the basic mash?

Thanks guys,
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

jsajarmy wrote:I've tried this recipe twice and the first time I got about a gallon and a half and second time about a gallon and a quarter. followed the recipe each time can anyone help?
Might be able to help ya if you gave detailed explanation of what ya did preparing wash . The sg readings from beginning of ferment and at end . Also would need to include how ya distilled with what kind of still . Otherwise its like asking how long is a piece of string.
wockman
Novice

Post by wockman »

Tater wrote:Tater's Fruit Recipe
From Homedistiller

Taters fruit recipe;Take 1 bushel[40 - 50 lb] of any fruit/ berry.Freeze them thaw and add 20 lbs sugar 1/4 cup lemon juice 1 pack E 1118 and 1/2 oz distillers yeast: If apples or pears grind and or mash them. Peaches nectarines plums cherry's blueberry .I pour boiling water with dissolved sugar on it and lemon juice .I blend it with a drill powered thin set mortar mixer. Thats blades I had sharpened .Adding water as I blend till I have a 13 gallon total wash.That's a thin gravy or thick soup texture. I pour mine through a rat wire sieve I made to remove seeds and any fruit that wasn't blended.Stir hell outta wash to get air back in wash and take a gallon of cooled wash and add 1 pack of E1118 yeast and distillers yeast stirring in let set till morning and add back stir in well and cover and vapor lock. Remember to leave space in ferment for pulp to rise or you'll have a mess and stir pulp gently back in wash as needed. Will make 3 gallons of around 120 proof fruit likker. If doing a no sugar added wash add more fruit to get wash to texture and use this chart to figure fruit sugar content. http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s01ja.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Retrieved from "http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Tater%27s_Fruit_Recipe"
I noticed you used the word "OR" in this phrase "apples or pears" could that also read "apples and/or pears" or is mixing fruits not advisable?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Was referring to texture of the fruit.
wockman
Novice

Post by wockman »

Tater wrote:Was referring to texture of the fruit.
I understand that but my question was can you mix fruits say do an apple and pear recipe?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Why would you think you couldn't? When it comes to washes your only controlled by your imagination and taste buds. :mrgreen:
wockman
Novice

Post by wockman »

Tater wrote:Why would you think you couldn't? When it comes to washes your only controlled by your imagination and taste buds. :mrgreen:
I figured you could but was just concerned there may have been some compatibility issues with certain combinations, you know the tartiness of pears not agreeing with the acidity of a citrus.
Ghost
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ghost »

Had to reply to this one - living in the peach state and my mother in-law living a couple of miles from the southeast largest peach cannery I am anxious for this years peach crop to come in.

I have access to several food grade barrels (blue drums) pretty cheap and when the weather warms up I plan on starting a couple of these. Might do something smaller scale in the mean time but damn the price of fruit is expensive this time of year!
Forbidden in Heaven and Useless in Hell ....
Little21
Novice
Location: 9 mile road well it used to be that till the big man shut it down...

Post by Little21 »

Tater what would you change for running strawberries instead of peaches?
Sláinte
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Id do same as I stated in recipe for berry's only do the sugar content of strawberries I do a sugar added wash.