Peach brandy

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hefezelle
Novice

Re: Peach brandy

Post by hefezelle »

Is there a consensus about the optimal amount of yeast to use in this recipe? I'd love to include an mount in the Tried & True Recipes pdf!
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Tater wrote:Time I posted this recipe I was playing around with yeasts and used a mix of 118 and distillers yeast 1 oz each. Pre started in 5 gallons of the wash. However in past Ive used wild yeast bakers yeast and few other wine yeasts . All seemed to well but the wine yeasts seemed to give a slight better taste .I froze peaches when thawed I stirred to a fine pulp poured through a wire basket to catch/remove seeds and anything that hadn't broken down skins and the like.Then took skins and any chunks that were left and added little water few gallons or so and stirred again. My stirrer is a lite mortar mixer that I sharpened the blades on. (see here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=2196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow )I have just set a plank across barrel with a 3/4 piece of pvc pipe cut at a angle in it to push out seed and fermented skin and all (no added water). And lately been putting the skins and chunks in a sack weighing it down to keep under till ferments over and removing it after letting it drain.(Been trying to decide if it taste better with skins in or out of ferment). I dip my wash out of barrel so as not to disturb anything that's settled.And NEVER :thumbdown: fill a barrel .Always leave room for the cap or you will have a mess. 50 in a 55 gallon barrel is much as I would chance. Until I was use to doing recipe I would go less.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
njinjune
Novice

Post by njinjune »

:thumbup:
D in Texas wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:17 pm Hello, I've made several batches using Tater's Peach Brandy recipe. I've used peaches, apples, grapes and pears. I use bruised and old fruit bought from local supermarkets. I wash and quarter the fruit and cut off any rotten or moldy spots. I remove pits but not small fruit seeds. The cut up fruit gets a good squirt of lemon juice in the freezer bag. Freezing breaks up the fruit's cell structure and also lets me accumulate fruit as it's available cheaply. I grind the thawed fruit in a garbage disposal grinder. My recipe is 20 lbs of fruit, 4 lbs of sugar, some yeast nutrient and water to make 4 gallons. Like Tater's recipe, I ferment with skins on (it's all a mush after going through the grinder anyway) My go-to yeast is Red Star DADY, but I've experimented with champagne and wine yeasts. I distill in a pot still, again, distilling pulp and all. I don't have any problem with scorching, only a little "sticking" on the pot bottom. I make a single run, removing only the foreshots and cutting at 24% overhead. The result is a clear fruity-tasting distillate that averages 75 proof. It tastes good in drinks straight from the still, and far better when aged on toasted oak or apple for a few weeks.

There are ten million ways to do this; this one works well for me.