Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Odin »

More cornflakes for more taste. More cornflakes will make the wash harder to clear. That's where you need to find a balance.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
FelixxNZ
Novice

Post by FelixxNZ »

Wise words
Thank you
hefezelle
Novice

Post by hefezelle »

Odin wrote:500 grams of Kellogs cornflakes (ithas added b vits)', 20 liter of water, 3.5 kilo of sugar. Or use only 15 liters of water and 5 liter of backset.

Crush flakes, cook em in water or backset. Let it cool. Add water. Add yeast.
Odin
Is there a consensus about the optimal amount of yeast to use in this recipe? I'd love to include an mount in the Tried & True Recipes pdf!
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

See the rye bread whiskey tread ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
BillyPrefect
Novice

Cornflakes whiskey

Post by BillyPrefect »

Wow. First run wasn’t pretty but the second run ended with a fantastic batch of stuff - 1.5L of winderfulness

Being in Canada - my version was 440 grams of corn flakes and 4kg of sugar - same idea though with the rest of it
just messing with buckets and steel and copper.
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

Good day all

I've read most of this post and I did find or missed the answer to my question. Do you use the yeast cake on gen 2+or is it just backseat an all new ingredients?
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

I have always started fresh on each wash. This recipe is on Tried and True for a reason. If your cuts are good you are going to love it. I have a version on ferment at the moment.
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

I'm getting ready to start my second Gen. I Wanted to check to see if it was just backseat.
Thanks
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Ive never used backset in cornflakes. Give it a try.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Just put my 4th Gen on JD oak chips at 60%, going to leave it about three weeks, dilute and wait around a year before I give it a try.
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

Beerbrewer

I've not had good luck with doing any generation. Do you keep what left of the yeast cake and start with fresh flakes?or do make fresh and use the some % of backseat? I would like to know what others are doing before I start experimenting.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

MM-Brew wrote:Beerbrewer

I've not had good luck with doing any generation. Do you keep what left of the yeast cake and start with fresh flakes?or do make fresh and use the some % of backseat? I would like to know what others are doing before I start experimenting.
I have tried reusing yeast, didn't work so well for me and bakers yeast is cheap, I usually keep around 4.5ltrs of backset and add it to my next batch making it up to around 20ltrs. Not sure of how it will taste as I plan to keep what I have made this year for around 11 - 12 months and then compare the different generations with one another.
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

TY I'll give it a try. 8m planning on nuking some, and then putting some away for a few months as well.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

MM-Brew wrote:TY I'll give it a try. 8m planning on nuking some, and then putting some away for a few months as well.
I did that when I started, if you can try and put away a bottle or two for a year or so, make up some Birdwatchers or Odin's easy gin for quick sipping (I never knew I liked gin neat until I tried Odin's recipe :D ).
Spriit Tisler
Swill Maker

Post by Spriit Tisler »

My first batch of 3 liters of 55% ABV whiskey that was aged over 100cm2/L of medium toast oak.

https://i.imgur.com/Byhl4J5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://i.imgur.com/4JTbLzu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Celis
Novice

Post by Celis »

Looks great! I have distilled gen 2 last week and Gen 3 is bubbling away as we speak. Will be collecting the low wines of 3 generations and do one spirit run. Wil be filling my 5 liter French oak barrel with it. Can't wait for the results!
Spriit Tisler
Swill Maker

Post by Spriit Tisler »

Has anyone ever single distilled, aka stripped only this recipe? I have one set that I stripped only, taking off fair margin of foreshots and then ending the distillation when tails turned nasty, and have had it lying since. It was distilled using 100cm high boka with zero reflux other than what it naturally induces and the ABV of the total output was 60%. Would it be worth trying to age it?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

It sure would. If it came over at 60%, you did take advantage of the natural occuring passive reflux in your boka. Technically you did around 1.5 distillations. Perfect for a whiskey, when you want taste rich. So age it. More smearing may mean it will need some more time, but that will pay back by ending up more complex.

Regards, Odin.
Spriit Tisler
Swill Maker

Post by Spriit Tisler »

Apart from the smell and taste profile of the crude distillate I find it quite pleasing on it's own, so I put some wood on it.

How much time should I be looking for? I'd prefer the reference of 100cm2/L of medium toast oak as I did previously as a starting point.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Spriit Tisler wrote:Has anyone ever single distilled, aka stripped only this recipe? I have one set that I stripped only, taking off fair margin of foreshots and then ending the distillation when tails turned nasty, and have had it lying since. It was distilled using 100cm high boka with zero reflux other than what it naturally induces and the ABV of the total output was 60%. Would it be worth trying to age it?
I've got a batch which I will do much the same way - except I'll be sticking a few litres of "Pikey's easy scotch " - tails in it to boost abv and because I have some to hand - I thinkit will be fine to drink it or age it ! - WHat's to lose ? 8)
FelixxNZ
Novice

Post by FelixxNZ »

I'm on my 5th batch of this.
Love it as a white dog

Also as apple pie
Thanks so much
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

FelixxNZ wrote:I'm on my 5th batch of this.
Love it as a white dog

Also as apple pie
Thanks so much
You are welcome.

Odin.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Pikey wrote:
Spriit Tisler wrote:Has anyone ever single distilled, aka stripped only this recipe? I have one set that I stripped only, taking off fair margin of foreshots and then ending the distillation when tails turned nasty, and have had it lying since. It was distilled using 100cm high boka with zero reflux other than what it naturally induces and the ABV of the total output was 60%. Would it be worth trying to age it?
I've got a batch which I will do much the same way - except I'll be sticking a few litres of "Pikey's easy scotch " - tails in it to boost abv and because I have some to hand - I thinkit will be fine to drink it or age it ! - WHat's to lose ? 8)
I ran this yesterday and it is smooth, sweet and flavourful. I am drinking it white as I type.

Had some problems with the (25 litre) fermenter which cracked badly around the top and handle, due to UV exposure, so It has been probably around 6 weeks since the ferment stopped until I managed to get the wash out - by this time, the cornflakes had settled out and I was able to get a decent amount of clear wash off the top, leaving only around 3" (75mm) sludge in the bottom. A good sized sieve retrieved the liquor from around half of what was left, without a lot of fuss, and the last of it I just abandoned.

I have had a few problems with the preparation also - But I'm very content with what I have and will certainly come back to this recipe - Thanks Odin ! :D
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Preview: Re: Cornflakes whiskey
leaving only around 3" (75mm) sludge in the bottom.
Pikey wrote: Had some problems with the (25 litre) fermenter which cracked badly around the top and handle, due to UV exposure, so It has been probably around 6 weeks since the ferment stopped until I managed to get the wash out - by this time, the cornflakes had settled out and I was able to get a decent amount of clear wash off the top, leaving only around 3" (75mm) sludge in the bottom. A good sized sieve retrieved the liquor from around half of what was left, without a lot of fuss, and the last of it I just abandoned.
I ferment the corn flake as a mix of cracked corn and corn flakes. A couple inches of corn and about 1/2 the recommended flakes. The mess always ends up packed tight under the corn. The corn kind of acts as a filter on siphon day.
I first notice this while doing Uncle Jesse's, the corn acts as a filter for the lees. Does the same for a corn flake.
Ross056
Novice

Post by Ross056 »

I just started a batch of this tonight. CFW was the first corn whiskey I made and it was awesome I have been meaning to try another. I’m looking for forward to trying some generations.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I am so happy to see you guys having fun & success with this recipe. For sure multiple generations is better. The backset recycling will enhance backend flavors.

Regards, Odin.
Ross056
Novice

Post by Ross056 »

I didn’t make any notes when I did the first attempt and whatever I did to it created some real interesting buttery esters. At the time I thought it was wrong but also pleasant hopefully something comes to me and I can recreate some of those flavours. SG check this afternoon showed a 15 point drop at this rate will likely be running early next week.
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Now the beer industry is catching onto using corn flakes and other cereals -

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 280094002/
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Been a while since I posted, but when I last made this recipe I added honey to my mash. It did take longer to ferment, but the taste was great. So my question is, can I add the honey to the finished mash as I'm filling my still and get the honey fl avor while distilling?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Whitecap72 wrote:Been a while since I posted, but when I last made this recipe I added honey to my mash. It did take longer to ferment, but the taste was great. So my question is, can I add the honey to the finished mash as I'm filling my still and get the honey fl avor while distilling?
You can add it, but fermentation will take longer and hardly any (if any) of the flavors will make it over into the spirit. I wouldn't go down that route.

Odin.