Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by whiskymonster »

The mrs just asked me where a box of cornflakes and a box of shreddies disappeared to.

I told her they were an offering to the allfather.
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
TeeweezyOH
Novice

Post by TeeweezyOH »

so I'm about to finish my first cornflake recipe based on this one and right when I'm about ready to do a stripping run I see a recipe that says to add Amylase. Is that needed for cornflakes? Are there starches here that need to be converted? Why do some recipes omit amylase?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

TeeweezyOH wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:55 pm… I see a recipe that says to add Amylase. Is that needed for cornflakes?
Indeed.

Cornflakes (breakfast cereal) is a carbohydrate cereal made from grains by hot soaking and rolling under pressure. Minerals and vitamins are added to the cornmeal before rolling. They are gelatinized so you don’t need to do that. But, if you want to extract fermentable sugars from the flakes, then you’ll need to mash them with enzymes or barley malt at a minimum.

If you’re just making a corn (flake) flavored sugar wash, then you won’t need enzymes or malt. All your fermentable sugars will be the cane sugar you use.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
TeeweezyOH
Novice

Post by TeeweezyOH »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:03 pm
TeeweezyOH wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:55 pm… I see a recipe that says to add Amylase. Is that needed for cornflakes?
Indeed.

Cornflakes (breakfast cereal) is a carbohydrate cereal made from grains by hot soaking and rolling under pressure. Minerals and vitamins are added to the cornmeal before rolling. They are gelatinized so you don’t need to do that. But, if you want to extract fermentable sugars from the flakes, then you’ll need to mash them with enzymes or barley malt at a minimum.

If you’re just making a corn (flake) flavored sugar wash, then you won’t need enzymes or malt. All your fermentable sugars will be the cane sugar you use.
ss
Oh...and used frosted flakes, corn syrup and regular sugar. Low wines smell and taste great.
maltyguy
Novice

Post by maltyguy »

this is my 3rd time doing this recipe and im impressed with the result even with white sugar
its still smooth and complex. Kellogg's corn is really high quality stuff!
i'd say 1k, 5 gallon of water is best. adding oats or wheat will help smooth out the sugar bite.
Tinman
Novice

Post by Tinman »

Got a batch started! 20 min. and yeast is going. Came back in the house and grabbed some Triscuits and smoked pepper jack 🧀. Got to thinking, how would Triscuits work??
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Tinman wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:59 pm Got a batch started! 20 min. and yeast is going. Came back in the house and grabbed some Triscuits and smoked pepper jack 🧀. Got to thinking, how would Triscuits work??
Triscuits probably too expensive on the unit of measure vs other "base grains." But interesting idea, or if you can find them on clearance about to expire???

On a side note, one of my favorite snacks is aged gouda, roasted garlic triscuit, & a slice of pepperoni. And if you can get the aged gouda from Trader Joe's, it's unbelievably good!

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Tinman
Novice

Post by Tinman »

I smoke my own cheese and have done Gouda. Brings up another question...smoke the cornflakes??
Hudster2001
Novice

Post by Hudster2001 »

I have a batch of this on the go, its a lively wee thing, sitting at 27 degrees, its day 3 and its been bubbling away constantly, (about 2 bubbles a second), since about 3 hours after I pitched the yeast.
Its siting in the corner and its making me hungry, the smells coming from this are like cornflakes and warm toast. if it tastes 10% as good as it smells, it'll be amazing.
rickyaifd
Novice

Post by rickyaifd »

Odin wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:11 am The difficulty at this side of the globe is, we dont have the best corn. Making a bourbon aint easy like that. Even UJ style

So i did some experiments and came up with ...

500 grams of Kellogs cornflakes (ithas added b vits)', 20 liter of water, 3.5 kilo of sugar. Or use only 15 liters of water and 5 liter of backset.

Crush flakes, cook em in water or backset. Let it cool. Add water. Add yeast.

It ferments dry in five days.

I stripped it slowly, making a small fores/heads cut. Collected down to 10 abv. Got me 6liters of 30 abv. Added some backset, then did the spirit run. Collected hearts at 63 abv. Diluted to 50%.am sipping it as we speak. Darn good!

Odin
Question: How would I convert your recipe to a per liter measurement? How large is the still you ran the initial recipe in?
MoonPenguin
Novice

Post by MoonPenguin »

rickyaifd wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:08 am
Odin wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:11 am The difficulty at this side of the globe is, we dont have the best corn. Making a bourbon aint easy like that. Even UJ style

500 grams of Kellogs cornflakes (ithas added b vits)', 20 liter of water, 3.5 kilo of sugar. Or use only 15 liters of water and 5 liter of backset.

I stripped it slowly, making a small fores/heads cut. Collected down to 10 abv. Got me 6liters of 30 abv. Added some backset, then did the spirit run. Collected hearts at 63 abv. Diluted to 50%.am sipping it as we speak. Darn good!

Odin
Question: How would I convert your recipe to a per liter measurement? How large is the still you ran the initial recipe in?
Scaling it down, per litre of water you'd be using 25g cornflakes and 175g sugar.
rickyaifd
Novice

Post by rickyaifd »

MoonPenguin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:01 am
rickyaifd wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:08 am

Odin
Scaling it down, per litre of water you'd be using 25g cornflakes and 175g sugar.
Thank you my friend.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

rickyaifd wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:08 am Question: How would I convert your recipe to a per liter measurement? How large is the still you ran the initial recipe in?
The size of the still ain't that important (if you run a spirit run).
Size matters when you want to have some product at hand reasonably fast, thus stripping a lot of mash/wash at one go.
For a 20 L mash, you will get very bored running it through a 5 L still.
Mine is a 25 L milk can boiler and I won't go for less. Still, it fits in my apartment and can be easily set up and taken down.
Odin makes professional equipment so his boiler would be much bigger.
Boiler.jpg
Moggy
Novice

Post by Moggy »

20210819_124249.jpg
I have made a few batches and this is a great recipe.
TipsyMcStagger
Novice

Post by TipsyMcStagger »

Ok. So there was a sale on Dad's oatmeal cookies. I used this recipe but used 500g, or a bag, of Dad's cookies. What could go wrong right? Absolutely nothing. I strongly recommend trying it. Tiny bit into the tails it tastes exactly like the dang cookie.
Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Hey guys,

Quite new to the forum. Only really did sugar washes with essence before, but did a nice rum a few weeks back and now have a LME wash ageing on oak, so thought I would try this recipe as well. Scaled it down as I have a smaller fermenter.

Took off like a rocket on Saturday and still bubbling away good style. Can't wait to see what it turns out like. So many things you can do with recipe, and cheap as chips too. Time to experiment. Thanks to all. Thread is a great read BTW
Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Well, thank you Odin.

I am in the UK and had never tried a corn whiskey before (apart from bourbon), and I have to say I love this. It smells and tastes like what I can only describe as an American summer. I had a massive smile as soon as I tasted it. Have left some white (which I had a good scoop of yesterday), and I have 800ml at 55% in a litre bottle with a charred European oak stave. Can't wait to see what it tastes like in a month or 2.

Gen 2 will be getting started shortly. Just not had the time. Changed the recipe a bit and it worked out gorgeous. Gonna try it with some barley and rye crackerbread as well to see how the faux bourbon turns out. Thanks again
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Last year I made 4 generations of this. Enjoyed it off the still, but put most in a new small barrel I bought and just really didn’t like what came out. Been giving that to (no so much) friends. I did however have a quart on a new small American medium spiral AND a small American medium spiral I used in rum previously. Just took a swig here at a little over a year and gotta admit it’s pretty darn good. Time and the right oak works wonders.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
gurkan
Novice

Post by gurkan »

Got a good deal from a supermarket's discount days recently; Nestle's gold cornflakes for 30 TRY ($1,6) per kilogram, not Kelogg's quality but I believe it will do since it has vitamin B and some other stuff.

What caught my attention in nutritional values is that it has barley malt extract in it. Probably for flavouring or as sugar. Don't know the exact amount of malt extract but it seems like a bonus, I think... :)

Saving the majority of cornflakes for easy mashing. But I will definitely try one or two packages with this recipe, thanks!
Carbonfilter1978
Novice

Post by Carbonfilter1978 »

Odin
Hey Odin was wondering,when you start your 2nd gen do you use the same corn and yeast in the bucket or start fresh?
Many thanks.
ól agus bí suaimhneach
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

\
[/quote]
Hey Odin was wondering,when you start your 2nd gen do you use the same corn and yeast in the bucket or start fresh?
Many thanks.
[/quote]
i don't think odin has been active for a couple of years, but i'll take a stab.
i might be corrected but....
the cornflakes are for taste, so you will probably have to use fresh cornflakes.

as for yeast, i think it's up to you.
you can pour boiling water on top, dissolve the sugar, kill the yeast and use them as nutrients & add fresh yeast.
or dissolve the sugar separately, cooking the cornflakes and wait until it all drops to a yeast friendly temp before adding it to the old yeast.
or any other method mentioned in the thread, as long as it involves backset.
Carbonfilter1978
Novice

Thanks for the reply Howie,didn't realise he wasn't online.
Thought adding new flakes would be the way to go as they wouldn't hold their shape as much as say cracked corn.
Gonna give this recipe a go once one of my fermenters become available 😊😊😊
ól agus bí suaimhneach
blogfast25
Novice

Post by blogfast25 »

Odin
Wow! Only 500 g of KCF for 20 L of mash, am I reading that right???? :shock: :shock:
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

blogfast25 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:04 am

Odin
Wow! Only 500 g of KCF for 20 L of mash, am I reading that right???? :shock: :shock:
Yes
blogfast25
Novice

Post by blogfast25 »

Definitely one to try then...
cnk
Novice

Post by cnk »

I have made two lots of this and is one of the best! I make ten litres and age it in an oak barrel for six months. Awesome and much appreciated by my friends!
Thank you Odin.
Carbonfilter1978
Novice

Anyone tried crunchy nut cornflakes instead of the original?
ól agus bí suaimhneach
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

[/quote]

[/quote]
the amount of CF is up to you, i think a few people have upped the CF content.
i use 1kg of corn flakes and a whole 250gm box of ryvita plus backset etc
i have several attempts on oak in glass, most quite old because, TBH it didn't impress me much at first.
i have a bottle from 26/9/21 that is extremely nice and is responsible for my 'fuzzy' tuesday. :)
i have a bottle from 29/6/21 that is nice
i have a bottle from 19/4/21 that is nothing special yet.
reading through my notes this morning...
all the same method, all had backset for fermenting and some backset in the spirit run.
same oak (usa medium) 20gms/litre in the 26/9 @ 65% - 10gms/litre in the 19/4 @ 60% - 20gms/litre in the 29/6 @ 60%
26/9 yeast was yellow angel - 19/4 & 29/6 was lowans bakers
26/9 i used 0.2ml of high temp enzyme on the cornflake/ryvita porridge (probably just playing about)

there are some other trials i did, revolving around CF, they may come good one day.YMMV
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

howie wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:27 pm i have a bottle from 26/9/21 that is extremely nice and is responsible for my 'fuzzy' tuesday. :)
i have a bottle from 29/6/21 that is nice
i have a bottle from 19/4/21 that is nothing special yet.
Time on oak........that is one of the secrets to many spirits.
Captain Clyde
Novice

Post by Captain Clyde »

I’ve had the pleasure of having a beer with Odin. Hot summer day next to a beautiful lake. Needless to say I was grinning from ear to ear. Legend..
Jacketed boiler. 3” column, dephlegmator and a bunch of shipmates.