Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thePanhandler
Novice

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by thePanhandler »

used a heat belt so good. Ran it today and good flavour. Letting it air and will put some on oak in the next day or so.
Rairch
Novice

Post by Rairch »

The uk ones have vit b in them. The site is not allowing me to upload a picture via a photobucket link.... Edit. File size too large..... Will edit.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I have been reading through this thread but have only gotten half the way through the 29 pages. I really need to take some notes with the different versions of the recipe so I can get dialed in for my first batch. It sounds pretty simple with good results though and thank you Odin for your great idea.
I usually have issues with scorching the grain. I need to see if a double boiler will work better for me. I even thought of putting a inch of rasching rings in the bottom and use a grain bag. That would keep things off the bottom.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

You are welcome.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

6 Row Joe wrote: I usually have issues with scorching the grain. I need to see if a double boiler will work better for me. I even thought of putting a inch of rasching rings in the bottom and use a grain bag. That would keep things off the bottom.
Have you thought of using a false bottom in the bottom of your boiler?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
6 Row Joe wrote: I usually have issues with scorching the grain. I need to see if a double boiler will work better for me. I even thought of putting a inch of rasching rings in the bottom and use a grain bag. That would keep things off the bottom.
Have you thought of using a false bottom in the bottom of your boiler?
I have. I would probably need to buy a new boiler.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I started a batch and it's off to a slow start. It is bubbling but just like a glass of soda does. 4 gal. batch with 2 boxes of Kelloggs (640g), about 5# sugar, 7 g. of bread yeast (a healthy starter). My Sg was 1.060 and the ph was 5.0. Ferment temp is 79°. I'll just let it bubble and see where it goes. I did a double boiler so no scorching.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I just moved the fermenter to a cooler location. Worth a try. My distillers yeast wouldn't start yesterday.
Rairch
Novice

Post by Rairch »

Quick question regarding using backset.

Istored a demijohn from the first run and plan to use it today.
It seems my Cork is feked and the backset has been infected. Only a very small amount in the neck.

Should I bin it or scoop it off, bring to boil and dissolve all my sugar in it. Then just chuck it in?

Cheers
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Rairch wrote:Quick question regarding using backset.

Istored a demijohn from the first run and plan to use it today.
It seems my Cork is feked and the backset has been infected. This may not be a bad thing, keep a little in a beer bottle before you use it...if you get fantastic results you'll be able to duplicate them.Only a very small amount in the neck.

Should I bin it or scoop it off, bring to boil and dissolve all my sugar in it. Then just chuck it in?
Backset is used one of three ways, to adjust the pH of a mash (which your not doing) to add nutrient/stability for the yeast during the ferment or in the pot for flavor in the beer run. The infection COULD give you some awesome flavor results...but don't use more than 20 % of your volume at any one stage...I think that's the general consensus on the forum.
Cheers
Rairch
Novice

Post by Rairch »

Cheers Kiwi. Great info.

I ended up just pouring it off the crap. Heating it up to dissolve the sugar. Chucked it straight in.

See what happens I guess. Was thinking of adding backset to every new cornflake batch. Get a gen going.

Would this be something worth pusuing or just run a fresh batch everytime?

Thanks again.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

No, the addition of backset into American style corn, bourbon or rye is VERY important for the flavor profile of future batches...I can't stress it enough, keep your backset, freeze it if you have to, but absolutely add into each consecutive batch. You can test this...keep a bottle of your first attempt and sample each new batch against it...5 generations in and you will be amazed! :think:
Check this tread out...it's by OtisT on "High Ester Bourbon"
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=69979
Rairch
Novice

Post by Rairch »

I read for rums it's very important. Dunder pits and all that.

This is great info! Thanks.

Will keep a demijohn of backset every run. 4L ish into every 25L new batch sounds about right.

Can't wait to try it after 5 gens. (I'll try to keep a bottle of white back from each batch until I have 5 done, that'd be a good night sampling)

Thanks again!
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

I've just added my 5th gen backset to a few kilos of wild bird seed... Risky maybe but I'm curious to see the outcome.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I've got a question. Why boil the cornflakes? There is no amylase to convert starches. The corn is just for flavor and the nutrients it provides for the sugar wash ferment.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

6 Row Joe wrote:I've got a question. Why boil the cornflakes? There is no amylase to convert starches. The corn is just for flavor and the nutrients it provides for the sugar wash ferment.
This interests me also - I've had great results by simply crushing and adding to the fermenter.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I was under the impression that the flakes were boil to help distribute the flavor through the whole wash. It could most likely be done without the boil...I don't know, maybe Oden will answer that himself.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

DSmith78 wrote:
6 Row Joe wrote:I've got a question. Why boil the cornflakes? There is no amylase to convert starches. The corn is just for flavor and the nutrients it provides for the sugar wash ferment.
This interests me also - I've had great results by simply crushing and adding to the fermenter.
I have had fun lately with a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flaked rye in a 3 gallon batch of Uncle Jessies. It does nothing but add flavor. I was just curious.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

6 Row Joe wrote:
DSmith78 wrote:
I have had fun lately with a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flaked rye in a 3 gallon batch of Uncle Jessies. It does nothing but add flavor. I was just curious.
I did the same with frozen sweetcorn - added a wonderful sweetness. Have now added my 5th gen backset to a few kilos of wild bird seed. Will probably run at the weekend.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Running my first batch now. Sorry but not impressed. Tastes just like Cornflakes but not in a good way. I'll see what airing it out does.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

6 Row Joe wrote:I have been reading through this thread but have only gotten half the way through the 29 pages. I really need to take some notes with the different versions of the recipe so I can get dialed in for my first batch. It sounds pretty simple with good results though and thank you Odin for your great idea.
I usually have issues with scorching the grain. I need to see if a double boiler will work better for me. I even thought of putting a inch of rasching rings in the bottom and use a grain bag. That would keep things off the bottom.
6Row,
Have you ever tried lining the bottom of your still with marbles, then adding your mash?
I had one run that scorched real bad and started looking for an easy solution.
I’ve used this trick a number of times and haven’t had an issue since.
I guess if you have an internal element and are not heating with a hot plate or flame from the bottom this wouldn’t work for you.

Just figured I share what’s helped me out with scorching.

Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Irishgnome wrote:Have you ever tried lining the bottom of your still with marbles, then adding your mash?
I had one run that scorched real bad and started looking for an easy solution.
I’ve used this trick a number of times and haven’t had an issue since.
I guess if you have an internal element and are not heating with a hot plate or flame from the bottom this wouldn’t work for you.
Just figured I share what’s helped me out with scorching.
Cheers Irish
One two or three marble layers deep? and with or without a grain bag?
and this is an awesome trick by the way Irish!
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Kiwi

I do right around three layers deep.
It’s a bit noisy when you run this way, the marbles move around a lot.

Hope it helps!

Cheers
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

No grain bag.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I did use a double boiler so no scorch. The ferment was a bit slow but finished dry, i did a secondary ferment to clear and there was very little in the bottom of the pot. I have a 3 gallon pot with a 2" column and I used a wad of copper scrubber in the collum. I started and ran it slow. I can find distinct cuts without temp or proof. It all smelled or tasted like corn flakes but like I said earlier. Not a fan. I have gotten better flavors from Uncle Jessies ran the same way. Something that Corn Flakes has in it is vitamins. Apparently good for the yeast but the vitamin taste came through. Especially the b vitamins that gives them their offensive smell. I used normal bread yeast. Could that be an issue?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

6 Row Joe wrote: Apparently good for the yeast but the vitamin taste came through. Especially the b vitamins that gives them their offensive smell. I used normal bread yeast. Could that be an issue?
I've used bread yeast and mine tastes like just good whiskey.
Are you one of them folks with just a remarkable palate? Can taste a grain of pepper in a pound of sugar?
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

This is just my 2 pence worth as I am still very much a novice but I have done 5 generations of this whiskey now and I have also done a variety of grains with sugar and I have to say the cornflakes has been my favourite by far. Malting some grains at the moment for my first attempt at AG so I'll be curious to compare results.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

6 Row Joe wrote:Running my first batch now. Sorry but not impressed. Tastes just like Cornflakes but not in a good way. I'll see what airing it out does.
6Row,

I enjoy this recipe because it’s easy and I like the flavor. I’m sure it’s not for everyone.
Did you use any backset from a past run?
With my first batch of cornflake, I used some backset from an all grain whisky run.
I’ve been quite impressed with this recipe. I get corn flavor, but don’t really get a “cornflake” flavor.
Maybe it’s the backset, maybe my tastebuds aren’t as developed as others?
Just curious.

Cheers
Irish.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Irishgnome wrote:
6 Row Joe wrote:Running my first batch now. Sorry but not impressed. Tastes just like Cornflakes but not in a good way. I'll see what airing it out does.
6Row,

I enjoy this recipe because it’s easy and I like the flavor. I’m sure it’s not for everyone.
Did you use any backset from a past run?
With my first batch of cornflake, I used some backset from an all grain whisky run.
I’ve been quite impressed with this recipe. I get corn flavor, but don’t really get a “cornflake” flavor.
Maybe it’s the backset, maybe my tastebuds aren’t as developed as others?
Just curious.

Cheers
Irish.
I jumped the gun a bit. After a day of airing out it is better. The medicine smell and taste is almost gone. I didn't have any backset so it was all new. I might have to try it again with some backset. What yeast do you guys use ?
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

I use SafSpirit M-1, I'm sure the majority here use bakers.

Cheers,
Irish